Father/Son Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

A player in both academy and father/son can choose which to be nominated for, same as the Daniher boys choosing which of Essendon and Sydney will nominate them. However given Tyler's moved to Vic and playing for Sandringham, I suspect that voids his academy membership.

Makes sense. We could possibly only use our first pick in this draft with the rest of the picks being Academy and Father/Sons.

What happens if 2 clubs bid their second round picks say for Hammelman and Clayton and other clubs bid their third round picks for Dawson and Roos?

Makes sense. We could possibly only use our first pick in this draft with the rest of the picks being Academy and Father/Sons.

What happens if 2 clubs bid their second round picks say for Hammelman and Clayton and other clubs bid their third round picks for Dawson and Roos?

Assuming at least one of the clubs bidding on Hammelman/Clayton have a second round pick before our's and we match all bids, we'd be using picks in round 2, 3, 4 and 5 for them. If we match all bids but the clubs only have picks after our second rounder, we'd be using rounds 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Depends if their second round picks are before ours or not.

You always use your next available pick. So if the three clubs directly after us in the draft order bid their second round picks on three different academy players, we could get said players with our third, fourth and fifth picks.

A player in both academy and father/son can choose which to be nominated for, same as the Daniher boys choosing which of Essendon and Sydney will nominate them. However given Tyler's moved to Vic and playing for Sandringham, I suspect that voids his academy membership.

Bolded doesn't work for Tyler because his father didn't play 100 games or more for Sydney and if he's eligible for this years draft, he'd live in 3 states in the space of 3 months.

Bolded doesn't work for Tyler because his father didn't play 100 games or more for Sydney and if he's eligible for this years draft, he'd live in 3 states in the space of 3 months.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying. Tyler is only eligible for father/son for Brisbane, via the Fitzroy link. He is not eligible for Sydney as a father/son selection. However he was a member of Sydney's academy, which now uses the same system as a father/son selection.

As I noted, if he is still considered a member of Sydney's academy he can choose which club to be nominated for - same as the Daniher boys. The only difference is one is (father/son v academy) whereas the other is (father/son v father/son).

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying. Tyler is only eligible for father/son for Brisbane, via the Fitzroy link. He is not eligible for Sydney as a father/son selection. However he was a member of Sydney's academy, which now uses the same system as a father/son selection. As I noted, if he is still considered a member of Sydney's academy he can choose which club to be nominated for - same as the Daniher boys. The only difference is one is (father/son v academy) whereas the other is (father/son v father/son).

Looks like he pulled a Matchu.

What can you tell me about Josh Clayton? His dad Scott played 160 games for Fitzroy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What can you tell me about Josh Clayton? His dad Scott played 160 games for Fitzroy.

I can tell you almost all of us didn't realise he was a father/son option until a couple of months ago... :D

Clayton is an outside mid. Some chance of being drafted but will face competition for the lower round selections unless he jumps out of the ground during the year. I would suggest he would jump at the chance of getting on a list if we guaranteed him a spot.

Clayton is an outside mid. Some chance of being drafted but will face competition for the lower round selections unless he jumps out of the ground during the year. I would suggest he would jump at the chance of getting on a list if we guaranteed him a spot.

I read he supports Brisbane anyway? I thought of all the F/S selections this year Roos would be the one to knock us back if any.

That's his best position at least. They generally play him as a flanker.

Josh Clayton and Tyler Roos have both started the season off well in the TAC Cup this year. Hopefully they can keep it up.

Clayton is spending a bit more time in the midfield than he was last year. Both are certainly worth keeping an eye on.

it would be simply unthinkable to think of tyler roos playing for anyone else really ... if he has the potential the club need to do all they can to make sure he plays for us ... we don't want another mark murphy.

it would be simply unthinkable to think of tyler roos playing for anyone else really ... if he has the potential the club need to do all they can to make sure he plays for us ... we don't want another mark murphy.

Does anyone know if he is still considered as linked to the Sydney Accademy (and so, if he is good enough, I assume he would have the choice of Sydney or Brisbane)?

I wouldn't be betting on him choosing us over Sydney or even the draft if it comes down to that.

Is he even good enough to be drafted? Or is his last name just throwing his name out there a bit more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back