Favourite comedians and comedies

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearing about the passing of Rik Mayal made me think of him and the classic comedy the 'Young Ones'. What a great talent he was, and a fantastic ground breaking TV comedy. A great loss to the genre.

What others? Too many to mention. Could start with Monty Python, Ricky Gervais and 'The Office', Australian comedies by Working Dog Productions, H G and Roy and their fabulous coverage of the Sydney Olympics, more recently and locally Lano and Woodley. Have also loved 'The Trip' with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. Across the Pacific, Steve Carrel, Ben Stiller and some of the stoner and slacker movies are good for a laugh.

Edit: Little Britain. How could I forget that one?
Another edit: Faulty Towers. Can't believe I left it out.

Last edited:
Love Rowan Atkinson. Mr Bean etc is pretty funny, but I love Blackadder. Haven't watched any Monty Python in a loong time, but they were pretty good in their day. (Probably still are) The Office (UK) is a beauty. The Inbetweeners for that crude humour is a ripper.

I don't find many Australian comedies/comedians that funny to be honest. Although I've seen Rodney Rude a few times and even though its downright bottom feeding stuff, everyone in the audience was crying with laughter the whole show through.

The Young Ones was must watch TV when I was a teenager. RIP Rik Mayall

I grew up on a lot of British comedy thanks to my Dad. It'd be remiss not to mention Bottom and The Young Ones with Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson. Also huge on Rowan Atkinson, particularly Blackadder, Thin Blue Line and Not the Nine O'Clock News. Then there's Fry and Laurie who I still love to this day. I also didn't mind The Two Ronnies and shows like Porridge and Open All Hours.

The more modern day stuff I don't mind Jimmy Carr and David Mitchell, his shows Peep Show and Mitchell and Webb Show are good too.

From America I'll always have time for Bill Burr and Louis CK and like today's shows like Parks & Recreation, Community, Archer, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Brooklyn 99. I was also huge on Frasier a few years back too.

wheres my list. its bloody long.

stuff that sticks in your memory and becomes part of you. sayings, moments, scenes, voices that are simply unforgettable.

i appreciate the writers that put pen to paper and have come up with some unbelievable funny stuff.

the vast majority of my favs come from the UK. sadly family commitments in the last 20 years mean i have missed pretty much everything since the mid 90's, so apologies if theres any absolute blinders that i have missed. eg i have not seen one second of ali g, borat or little britain. i always say i want a dvd player and a huge box of dvd's in my coffin so i can finally catch what ive missed. its the only chance i'll get.

tv series
fawlty towers.........daylight second. special mention to 'this is david harper' and 'drop the dead donkey'. great writing.

movie
life of brian, followed by a magnificent list including flying high, kentucky fried movie, blazing saddles, holy grail and many more.

live on stage
saw billy connolly many times, lenny henry, rowan atkinson (1982) absolutely brilliant.

and thank you for youtube, allowing easy access to so much.

The list would be too long to write them all down and im sure i will forget some and be pissed off about it.
As purely stand up i love in no particular order Dave Chappelle, Gilbert Gottfried, Sara Silverman, Norm MacDonald, Doug Benson, Ricky Gervais and Jeff Ross.
Not into many Australian comedians but the clear stand out for mine is Shaun Micallef. His ABC shows was brilliant as well.
TV shows there are too many to list so i will just say the ones i loved as a kid.
Grew up on The Goodies, Young Ones, The Cosby Show, Married with Children, Head of the Class, Coupling.

Lily Tomlin and Bob Newhart were extremely funny on record.
Tony Hancock absolutely brilliant at times.
The Goons where nearly all madcap offbeat humour started with (Bluebottle,Moriarty) a scream even to this day.
Seinfeld some of which is extremely funny.
I loved the young ones Vivian Neil and Rik and Alexei Sayle.
Fawlty towers agree nothing has come close to (Watching Basil the Rat) for the 1st time and rolling around on the floor in absolute stitches,killer comedy nothing approaches.
Films Whats up doc,the Midnight run,some like it hot and it happened one night.
The Honeymooners with Gleason and Art Carney in great form.

'Dinner for One' - on every New Year's Eve. A tradition of many many years

Eric Sykes 'the Plank'

(You can see them on YouTube)

Agree with a lot of the above, also love graham Norton
Given the right mix of people his show is hilarious and there is always a guest comedian

Neil Hamburger.
Steven Wright.
Lenny Bruce. (No, that's not Lenny Henry.)

Still trying to find good clips.

Lenny Bruce was amazing. I recall hearing some audio recordings, but not much else. Biting, challenging stuff, a bit before his time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread needs more
images
and
images
:drunk:

Comedians
Bill Hicks
Jerry Sadowitz
Richard Pryor
Johhny Vegas
George Carlin

TV comedies
The Phil Silvers Show
The Larry Sanders Show
The Naked Gun
Nighty Night
Garth Merenghi's Dark Place
Not Only But Also

Cinema comedies
Duck Soup
A Night At The Opera
The Jerk
The Producers
The Lonely Guy
The Cable Guy
Flying High
The Naked Gun

Comedians
Bill Hicks
Jerry Sadowitz
Richard Pryor
Johhny Vegas
George Carlin

TV comedies
The Phil Silvers Show
The Larry Sanders Show
The Naked Gun
Nighty Night
Garth Merenghi's Dark Place
Not Only But Also

Cinema comedies
Duck Soup
A Night At The Opera
The Jerk
The Producers
The Lonely Guy
The Cable Guy
Flying High
The Naked Gun

Nighty night was seriously weird.

^^ so wrong, in so many ways, but delightfully macabre dark humour. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't post youtube clips, however the funeral/eulogy is one of my favourite TV moments.

The funeral, where the wife rode in on a horse? Hilarious!!!

Probably forgot heaps, but here goes...

TV series (probably forgetting some):

Bottom
The Young Ones
Red Dwarf
Black Books
Fawlty Towers
Monty Python
Blackadder
A Bit of Fry & Laurie
South Park
The Simpsons