Favourite Guitar solo

Remove this Banner Ad

Very difficult, so went with clearly defined solo during the song. First two off the top of my head...

MT has many tasty ones, even variations from bootlegs. This is I have to choose as my favorite: lots of energy to match the rhythm.

The story behind this one's recording is great. A blast of nose candy and start tape...spur of the moment magic.

Lifeson is another one that has so many good, unique solos. I have to go with La Villa Strangiato.

some honorable mentions:
the best note in a solo Steve Hackett in Fifth of Forth
George Harrison slide on The Bluest Blue by Alvin Lee, whose solo on it is also really good.
Mark Knopfler: SS, BiA
Blackmore: HS
Clapton: Nobody Loves You When You're Down and Out/Have You Ever Loved a Woman
Gilmour: On the Turning Away + many more

There are probably some from this millenium, but I haven't heard enough time to remember.

There are a quite a few but this one is definitely one of them. From The Allman Brothers greatest album, Brothers and Sisters - "Jessica" with Dicky Betts on lead guitar.

Another one.
Guthrie Govan, the most incredible player you will never have heard of. He might he the best guitarist going around at the moment.

He can play just about any style.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very difficult, so went with clearly defined solo during the song. First two off the top of my head...

MT has many tasty ones, even variations from bootlegs. This is I have to choose as my favorite: lots of energy to match the rhythm.

I reckon Mick Taylor's best solo is on the live version of Sympathy for the Devil on Get Yer YaYa's out. It's made all the better because of the solo that Keith does first, which is pretty impressive in its own right. Mick then takes over and blows Keef off the stage.

Richards' solo starts at about 3:12, Taylor takes over at 4:30.

My favourite solo of all time is from Ted Nugent on Fred Bear.

Solo starts at 3:11.

I reckon Mick Taylor's best solo is on the live version of Sympathy for the Devil on Get Yer YaYa's out. It's made all the better because of the solo that Keith does first, which is pretty impressive in its own right. Mick then takes over and blows Keef off the stage.

Richards' solo starts at about 3:12, Taylor takes over at 4:30.

My favourite solo of all time is from Ted Nugent on Fred Bear.

Solo starts at 3:11.

YaYa's might be my favorite live version of SFTD. None compare to studio.
Both are in the must learn solo textbook. MT on that is pretty fiery on that solo. I think he consciously did it to contrast with KR's. Usually live MT tends to noodle a little on his long solos, though Gimme Shelter live is an exception.

No idea who the guitarist is here but every time I listen to this CD I hit the reverse to get it back to 03:10 and listen again to the 100 seconds of melody.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back