Final Umpires ( My guess )

Remove this Banner Ad

BuddyLover

Debutant
Apr 24, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well, since were getting closer to finals, who will umpire the first week? Here is my panel:

1st Qualifying Final- Venue MCG
Geelong and Team
Field- 25 Shaun Ryan, 29 Scott Jeffery, 30 McInerney EM- 4 Luke Farmer
Boundary- Jamie Giles, Adam Coote, Mathew Payton, Darren Wilson EM Robert Haala
Goal- Peter Gonis, Darren Trengove EM Steve Stirling

2nd Qualifying Final- Venue MCG
Hawks and W.B
Field- 2 Michael Vozzo, 7 Hayden Kennedy, 15 Matthew Nicholls EM 5 Matthew James
Boundary- Gerard Large, Scott Hutton, Luke Roberts, Matthew Vitiritti EM Mitchell Lefevre
Goal- Daniel Wilson, David Dixon EM Leo Corrieri

1st Elimination Final- Venue Unknown
Team Vs Team
Field- 3 Stephen McBurney, 6 Dean Margetts, 8 Brett Rosebury EM 9 Matt Stevic
Boundary- Aaron Deckeys, Ian Burrows, Glenn Gisbon, Cameron Ward EM Mark Thomson
Goal- Mark Harrisan, Jason Venkataya EM David Flegg

2nd Elimination Final- Venue Unknown
Team Vs Team
Field- 11 Scott McLaren, 18 Raza, 21 Simon Merideth EM 1 Chris Donlon
Boundary- Nathan Doig, Chris Morrison, Adam McDonald, Justin Bennison EM Shane Jansen
Goal- Mark Canning, Chris Appleton EM Michael Hammond

Have your say!

Way too hard predicting umpires and their games. At least three goals umpires you've mentioned have made either scoring errors or scoreboard errors at some point throughout the season and are out of finals contention straight away.

You must have no clue. Stevic and Donlon are certs. Margetts no hope, he missed a long time due to his snapped hammy.
How you can go allocating matches to blokes is beyond me (unless your Dad is the Geish?).

Hey mate stop arguing with my comments if you think that my opinion is wrong then tell me what your panel is? oh... I thought you don't have guts!

Owned

You must have no clue. Stevic and Donlon are certs. Margetts no hope, he missed a long time due to his snapped hammy.
How you can go allocating matches to blokes is beyond me (unless your Dad is the Geish?).

Its called a guess! TIP: read the title before you post it just may help! (Sarcasm)

By the way 1 Chris Donlon will be lucky to get a finals game because he is a shocker. Actually I think Dean Margetts and Michael Avon are better and it's the same with Stevic!

Chris donlon will have a good finals campaign has done well this year, avon and margetts are terrible umpires.
Its called a guess! TIP: read the title before you post it just may help! (Sarcasm)

By the way 1 Chris Donlon will be lucky to get a finals game because he is a shocker. Actually I think Dean Margetts and Michael Avon are better and it's the same with Stevic!

Vozzo - 1
Donlon - 2
Stevic - 9
McInerney - 30
Ryan - 25
McBurney - 3
McLaren - 11
Jeffery - 29
James 5
Farmer - 4
Kennedy - 7
Rosebury - 8

Emergency:
Chamberlain - 18
Meredith - 21
Head - 16
Nicholls - 15

Thats who I would like to see. I'm guessing that Chambo and Meredith will make it in there though.

Finals Panel (12)

Ray Chamberlain

Stephen McBurney

Chris Donlon (1st)

Shane McInerney

Matt Stevic

Brett Rosebury (All Australian)

Matthew James

Shaun Ryan

Simon Meredith (1st)

Scott McLaren

Hayden Kennedy

Michael Vozzo

Four Emergencies for Week 1

Stuart Wenn Scott Jeffrey

Matthew Head Justin Schmitt

I would find it amazing if Stuart Wenn would get an emergency in the 1st week when he can't even make the 24 this weekend.

I would find it amazing if Stuart Wenn would get an emergency in the 1st week when he can't even make the 24 this weekend.

Thats irrelevant given that Heath Ryan, Jacob Mollison, Jason Armstrong, Dean Margetts etc are umpiring this week but have absolutely no chance of doing finals...

If they get through this week I reckon the Goal Umpires will look something like this (in no particular order):

Mark Canning
Jason Venkataya
Peter Nastasi
David Dixon
Luke Walker
Michael Hammond
Peter Gonis
Daniel Wilson

Tipping Hammond and Wilson for their first finals appearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on the boundary a wild guess would be wilson for his 11th straight GF, though burrows will be up there this year after being pipped

on the field i reckon rosebury is a definite

nastasi in the goals

Eight Victorian Based Goal Umpires ?

Hopefull, there will be at least one maybe 2 South Australians, Little Stevie to go - back to back !

Eight Victorian Based Goal Umpires ?

Hopefull, there will be at least one maybe 2 South Australians, Little Stevie to go - back to back !

Time will tell Flagmal! Time will tell.

Think Little Stevie could make the eight but would have his work cut out going back to back. I'll stick with my original tip!

Thats irrelevant given that Heath Ryan, Jacob Mollison, Jason Armstrong, Dean Margetts etc are umpiring this week but have absolutely no chance of doing finals...

It is entirely relevant. The 16 involved next week will definitely come from the 24 running this week, which really narrows it down considering there are a few (like the guys you said) who are no hope at all.

If Head or Nicholls get anywhere near the panel, then Umpiring is in strife...

I tend to agree though that the bias of Vic-centric appointments will continue into the Goals with nearly all 12 (8 running and 4 emerg) to be from Vic...

Stinger the top 8 will be picked regardless of whether they are from SA, VIC, NSW, QLD or WA. If the top 8 performers from VIC then they will be picked.

I doubt bias would come into it

If Head or Nicholls get anywhere near the panel, then Umpiring is in strife...

I tend to agree though that the bias of Vic-centric appointments will continue into the Goals with nearly all 12 (8 running and 4 emerg) to be from Vic...

Stinger, surely you are not suggesting that an umpire's home state would have anything to do with Finals appointments? Surely selection would be purely on merit and the best umpires in the country would be picked no matter where they resided? What a massive inference.

I can't believe what Im reading guys. Aren't all goal umpires critiqued every game by staff from the Umpiring Department who live in their own state anyway??

How would this provide a biased outcome?

Why would the AFL want anything but the best umpires (in any discipline) doing their finals. I would have thought if bias comes into it heads would role....especially if the performances weren't up to scratch?????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back