Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry With Love GIF by Amazon Prime Video

I'm kinda confused by his role now.

He's always been touted as an inside mid but he gets moved off the ball too easily when in the middle. Does he have the speed and endurance to play opposition Josh?

Goes forward and finds space, the ball and kicks 3 but he won't get that leeway every game. I thought Richards was a better forward and Sullivan definitely better on ball.

Hope he gets a few more games to show his skills.

He's always been touted as an inside mid but he gets moved off the ball too easily when in the middle. Does he have the speed and endurance to play opposition Josh?

Goes forward and finds space, the ball and kicks 3 but he won't get that leeway every game. I thought Richards was a better forward and Sullivan definitely better on ball.

Seemed to be playing Lipinski's old role, with Lippa having replaced Sidebottom

And due to our injury list, he gets another chance to play this role and excel next week against stronger opposition. He seemed to have a natural co-ordination with Richards, almost like the Daicos bros.
His goal kicking - both set shots and on the run - was excellent.
I agree that his physical pressure is not that of a true inside mid - a few of his tackles were broken today - admittedly against bigger players, but I felt that Sullivan was able to nail those ones.
I think Lipinski on a wing is a fantastic possiblity - he has wonderful delivery skills and decision making, and this could open up new possiblities for him.
And Sidey at half back, well what can you say. Every cat has nine lives, and I reckon Sidey has more than ten.

And due to our injury list, he gets another chance to play this role and excel next week against stronger opposition. He seemed to have a natural co-ordination with Richards, almost like the Daicos bros.
His goal kicking - both set shots and on the run - was excellent.
I agree that his physical pressure is not that of a true inside mid - a few of his tackles were broken today - admittedly against bigger players, but I felt that Sullivan was able to nail those ones.
I think Lipinski on a wing is a fantastic possiblity - he has wonderful delivery skills and decision making, and this could open up new possiblities for him.
And Sidey at half back, well what can you say. Every cat has nine lives, and I reckon Sidey has more than ten.
I'm glad Fin played that role today. I couldn't see how he was going to make it purely as an inside mid.

I'm glad Fin played that role today. I couldn't see how he was going to make it purely as an inside mid.

Maybe not right now but with more preseasons, get stronger he could get more time there. But for the time being I think this new role should suit him as he gets more game time and experience at the top level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is that inside mid is a need and there's a vacancy to fill. For 2 years his role has been touted as inside mid but now well into 2024 he is a half forward?

With a full list he isnt getting a game at half forward .

The problem is that inside mid is a need and there's a vacancy to fill. For 2 years his role has been touted as inside mid but now well into 2024 he is a half forward?

With a full list he isnt getting a game at half forward .
Sullivan has gone well past him on that front to my eye.

I agree with each point you made. I know Finn is usually a very good tackler, but he got shrugged off a few times today.

One big positive today was he showed the class his brother had at his peak - it’s not a huge problem if he is a bit like Lipinski last year in that he is not a pure mid if he kicks like that
He really impressed me in that regard today as I’d never really thought that he had that sort of attacking nous.

Here’s to hoping he can retain that sort of output against stronger opposition, as then he may well find his break on that forward flank ala Lippa or a Gryan Miers type.

Finn had a good game, but I wouldn't be anointing him yet. It wasn't a normal game. Our mids obliterated them. We just smashed them out the front of stoppage all day. He ran to good spots, linked up well and finished his work, but was barely in a contest so clean was our transition from stoppage. A game like that isn't happening very often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Fin looks comfortable in that role rather than inside mid and there’s a place for him there going forward. He’ll still have to be patient given Sidey appears to be only slightly braised rather than cooked and a couple of players coming back in down the line may cause a reshuffle that doesn’t favour him. Well done to him though for persevering.

Finn had a good game, but I wouldn't be anointing him yet. It wasn't a normal game. Our mids obliterated them. We just smashed them out the front of stoppage all day. He ran to good spots, linked up well and finished his work, but was barely in a contest so clean was our transition from stoppage. A game like that isn't happening very often.
That’s still my concern. The contest parts he was involved in he seemed to get brushed aside quite easily which just re-affirmed that he’s not going to replace Mitchell anytime soon

It was still a good game however. But like you say. There was next to no pressure. A step in the right direction, but a long way to go yet

Wasn’t Sidey playing half back in the 2018 Prelim? He certainly got plenty of ball across there against the Tiges.

Then other Young Players can be said to be the same today

Played his role well. He's a good linking runner. Great for his confidence, but it wasn't a normal game. He doesn't get fed the ball like that in a normal game. He actually only had one contested possession and it was a free when he was driven forward in a tackle.

Wasn’t Sidey playing half back in the 2018 Prelim? He certainly got plenty of ball across there against the Tiges.

Apparently not. He said this is the first time he has played there. Even in his junior career.
But with his ball use, he looked good. Which then opens up the wing spot for lippa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I think he got 40 that nigt. Apparently Simpson was delighted when he lined up on a wing in the granny as they were more worried about him from half back.

He’s always been good dropping back from a wing but I can’t remember him starting there and coming up at the ball like today. Was a bit of an eye opener for me tbh. His kicking was really good and more penetrating I thought.

That’s still my concern. The contest parts he was involved in he seemed to get brushed aside quite easily which just re-affirmed that he’s not going to replace Mitchell anytime soon

It was still a good game however. But like you say. There was next to no pressure. A step in the right direction, but a long way to go yet
His linking running game is definitely his strength. I don't really get why we see him as an inside mid.

His linking running game is definitely his strength. I don't really get why we see him as an inside mid.
Interesting. Maybe, with Sullivan proving his credentials as the inside mid we need, Fin gets deployed now according to his strengths - especially after today's game, when it was on display.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back