First expansion phase

Remove this Banner Ad

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
when would the NWL look at expanding the competition? And how many teams would the first be in the first expansion phase?

My thoughts on teams are
West coast
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Gold Coast

This allows local derbies to be played in each state and also taps into the huge numbers of girls that are playing Aussie rules in WA and QLD. Victoria could also be part of the phase but there is already 4 teams in vic so they may wait until the second expansion phase which may only consist of 2 teams entering the Como to take the league to 14 teams by 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
when would the NWL look at expanding the competition? And how many teams would the first be in the first expansion phase?

My thoughts on teams are
West coast
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Gold Coast

This allows local derbies to be played in each state and also taps into the huge numbers of girls that are playing Aussie rules in WA and QLD. Victoria could also be part of the phase but there is already 4 teams in vic so they may wait until the second expansion phase which may only consist of 2 teams entering the Como to take the league to 14 teams by 2022.
It will depend quite a bit on how the first seasons go. While adding Port makes sense, if the Crows come last with no wins, then it probably is not going to happen. The women's game doesn't have the mechanisms to equalise between states really. Also, Sydney and Gold Coast did not apply for various reasons, and those reasons will not have changed in only a couple of years. I do not see the AFL putting a team in where the club is not ready.

So my take is, expansion will happen sooner rather than later, as early as second or third season, but 2 teams initially. Not NSW or QLD because the clubs are not ready. I do not think SA has the depth for 2 teams, but we will not really know until it starts.

That leaves WA, and another Vic team.

I think we will have Eagles and one of Saints, Norths or Geelong in a couple of years.

Then a gap of a few years before they look at another expansion.

My thoughts on teams are
West coast
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Gold Coast

A lot more of it would be down to where the talent is.

NWL can't afford to pay players to relocate or give up their day jobs (well, very few), so most of the lists have to be locals.

Probably also worth remembering that some of the teams you mentioned weren't all that interested.

Might be left field but why not Tassie and Canberra? The costs for a women's side would be miniscule and while I'm not entirely sure about the capital, Tassie would take to it like a duck to water.
What facilities do they use? Not to mention who supplies the doctors, sport scientists, coaches, assistant coaches, marketing, publicists, etc

Being tied to existing clubs means the extra staff required is minimal not to mention access to quality facilities as opposed to a state league teams facilities

What facilities do they use? Not to mention who supplies the doctors, sport scientists, coaches, assistant coaches, marketing, publicists, etc

Being tied to existing clubs means the extra staff required is minimal not to mention access to quality facilities as opposed to a state league teams facilities
Yes, and all the current clubs have tens of thousands of members, twitter followers, etc, that they can send news and info to on their womens team to drum up interest. This is part of the reason it has been relatively easy to get sponsors, as there is already an established base to tap into. A standalone team has none of that.

Haven't they promised licences to the 5 teams who missed out first?

Thus West Coast, Richmond, St Kilda, Geelong and North....

Personally...
- Eagles are logical as is Geelong
- Port should be close
- Richmond will be the easiest from a support perspective in Melbourne to ramp up.

Personally...
- Port should be close
- Richmond will be the easiest from a support perspective in Melbourne to ramp up.
No.
Hawthorn and Essendon will want in.
West Coast next in with one Vic club.

No.
Hawthorn and Essendon will want in.
West Coast next in with one Vic club.
Yes they will, but I believe that the AFL is favouring initial bids over non-bidding clubs. That said, I can see Sydney or Port getting in pretty quickly.

Personally...
- Port should be close

All subject to talent development being at the right level. I wont be surprised if its phased entry - even though the AFL suggested int would be all in in 2018 - hence the one year contracts.

What if Hawthorn or the Roos were given a licence on the proviso that it was a team that plays all their home matches in Tasmania?

I'm not sure how the economics would work out, but I reckon it would make the Tassie sponsorships for Hawks or Roos more valuable. And surely Tassie would get behind it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn weren't interested in the initial phase so I imagine that the first expansion will involve most of the clubs that missed out the first time
No they will include the teams that have the best proposals, like last time. Hawks have started the ball rolling.

No they will include the teams that have the best proposals, like last time. Hawks have started the ball rolling.

They possibly wont. The league has already granted provisional licenses to the 5 teams that missed out on the initial licenses. Did no one read the announcement when it was made?

Teams

There will be 8 teams in the 2017 edition, from 13 applicants.
The remaining 5 applicants (North, Saints, Geelong, Richmond, West Coast) have been granted provisional licenses, pending womens game development in their areas, for 2018.

The 5 teams that didnt apply at all are going to miss out in the short term unless the AFl grant more licenses.

They possibly wont. The league has already granted provisional licenses to the 5 teams that missed out on the initial licenses. Did no one read the announcement when it was made?

The 5 teams that didnt apply at all are going to miss out in the short term unless the AFl grant more licenses.
If Hawthorn or Essenson applied for a licence next week I am sure they would be granted a provisional license as well.

Hawks probably will name their women's team tassie Hawks. They'll do anything to take over Tasmania and make money in the process

Hawks probably will name their women's team tassie Hawks. They'll do anything to take over Tasmania and make money in the process

Probably wouldn't be the worst idea if either of North or Hawthorn chose to base their womens team in both Melbourne and Tassie - would still need a predominant Melbourne base just to attract and retain talent.

except for the part where those provisional licenses have already been awarded for 2018. And Hawthorn didnt get one. One can only hope the AFL doesnt bend over for you guys, but past history indicates small hope of that happening.

The first phase of expansion absolutely shouldn't happen for another 8-10 years (though I'm resigned to the fact that most, if not all, AFL clubs will probably have a ladies team in that time).

The women's game still needs time to grow. It's crucial the AFL/AFLW get this right for the league to succeed in the medium- and long-term.

The first phase of expansion absolutely shouldn't happen for another 8-10 years (though I'm resigned to the fact that most, if not all, AFL clubs will probably have a ladies team in that time).

The women's game still needs time to grow. It's crucial the AFL/AFLW get this right for the league to succeed in the medium- and long-term.
There are now entire elite junior comps, and high performance programs that didn't even exist a few years ago. I think 2 more years will add enough new players to add another team or 2, and increase standards.
My take would be to increase as quickly as possible consistent with keeping standards rising.

That would still mean clubs like Hawks and Swans having to wait a decade or so.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised to see new clubs come in from the second season.
Possible, I would prefer a second unchanged season to bed thinks down, then go to 10. Keep it there for a few years.
Also remember, that the AFL seems to be making an effort to control player costs. 2 more squads adds significantly to the costs, especially if player payments increase, so it may also depend on how successful the first year is in raising revenue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back