Toast Fletcher Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

All the best Fletcher, will always have fond memories of you in the GF. Importantly, you played your role perfectly that day.

I'm a bit sad now for the little girl who used to always line up on family day to get your autograph, and wore your number proudly. She never had to wait in a queue, unlike me and my son with No.4.

Fletch, you did more than play a role in the 2016 finals, you were excellent. I think you were a victim of the hangover in 2017 which affected many members of the victorious team in different ways. You played on professionally for the next two seasons but just could not get back in favour with the selectors. Wouldn't be surprised if you were picked up as a DFA.

Thanks for the memories and for that amazing clearing kick and intercept marks in the preliminary finals against the plastics. those moments will always remain with me. thanks for the memories and hope that another afl club picks you up and that you have a nice career. You will always be remembered as a premiership player. You made it and thousands of others did not. well done and may the sun shine upon you, even on rainy days.

Fletcher Roberts goes out with a premiership medal and our enduring gratitude. I was always confident he would take that next step and become a fixture in our side over the last three years but it was not to be. If he wants still a crack at AFL football I hope he gets picked up and does very well. Doesn't matter which team, he will always be a Bulldog.

Fletcher Roberts, good luck to you. He was always friendly and courteous when talking with fans.

His best moment for me was in the 2016 final against GWS. The one that got us into the Grand Final.

In that last hectic minute GWS were attacking and we were hanging on by a thread. Fletcher Roberts got the ball at half back flank and booted it 60 meters down the wing - to a spot 2 meters in from the boundary. Never was there such a perfect kick at such a perilous time.

Always remember Fletch for that. It won the game for us just as much as any play on that day.

Fletcher Roberts, good luck to you. He was always friendly and courteous when talking with fans.

His best moment for me was in the 2016 final against GWS. The one that got us into the Grand Final.

In that last hectic minute GWS were attacking and we were hanging on by a thread. Fletcher Roberts got the ball at half back flank and booted it 60 meters down the wing - to a spot 2 meters in from the boundary. Never was there such a perfect kick at such a perilous time.

Always remember Fletch for that. It won the game for us just as much as any play on that day.

His biggest strength was probably his foot skill and decision making relative to his position. One thing you could say for Fletch is that he wouldn't make you nervous like Cordy and Trengove do.

His story really does feel like one of those strange stats of a bygone era. I’ve said it before but it is remarkable to survive 7 seasons to reach 50 games within which he managed two separate periods of almost two years without playing a game at all (2012-2014) and without playing in a winning game (2017-2019). Oddly played GWS 6 times but never played Hawthorn once. Never lost a game against Essendon, Collingwood or Carlton.

His two non senior highlights include kicking 4 goals in a quarter to win a GF and a 55m bomb to win a PF and yet only kicked 2 behinds at senior level.

He’s almost an enigma and surely deserves a lap of honour in Round 1.

my lasting memory of fletcher aside from the flag is him embarrassing me on the road outside whitten oval. Was looking for a parking spot and tried to do a three point turn at a gate but he pulled up behind me trying to enter said gate, preventing me from reversing out.

saw him and his unmistakeable Sid from Ice Age features just waving his arms behind me. He eventually opened the gate and I did a U turn, as he drove past staring at me.

I'll always remember Fletch for that clearing kick in the prelim, vital stage, limited space and time and he smacks it on the boot 50 metres down the line and out of the danger zone, extraordinary effort which went a long way to us winning the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy to say from the comfort of my lounge but I would have kept him on the list. He was good depth and was happy to be a bit part player - need players like that. No world beater but also reasonably reliable. Good luck to him, hope he gets picked up and continues his career. The clearing kick in the prelim was a pivotal moment. Played it beautifully didn’t dive onto the ball which would have been tempting but kept his feet and stayed close enough to get the crucial clearing kick....go well Fletch..

Our 2014 GF was where our culture started turning around and that Roberts goal on the siren in round 20 was pivotal for us getting that crucial home final against Williamstown. I could have sworn that he played in the GF that year but my memory must be wrong.

Easy to say from the comfort of my lounge but I would have kept him on the list. He was good depth and was happy to be a bit part player - need players like that. No world beater but also reasonably reliable. Good luck to him, hope he gets picked up and continues his career. The clearing kick in the prelim was a pivotal moment. Played it beautifully didn’t dive onto the ball which would have been tempting but kept his feet and stayed close enough to get the crucial clearing kick....go well Fletch..

Yeah if we didn't have to clear two spots on our list then I'd have been in favour of keeping him on. But we had three uncontracted players and needed to move two on so his time was up as a Bulldog sadly.

There was nice post on facebook about him giving a framed 18 jumper to the family of a 1954 premiership player who died in 2016 I think.

Happy trails Bullgod.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back