Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted.

Was always an awkward size for AFL. Not big enough as a defender to play on tall forwards... too big to keep up with the speedy smalls forwards.

Not his fault when a lack of KPD depth meant they played him against the Giants that time. Was just out of his depth.

Turned him into a forward and thought he wasn’t that bad considering how terrible Thomas, C Brown and WHE were on a consistent basis this year.

And after delisting Stephenson and Atu we’ve now delisted depth we don’t have in that part of the ground.

So I think he’s been a little unlucky in his time at Collingwood.

Good luck to him going forward

Yeah.............I reckon he's a bit unlucky after the way he looked up forward in 2020 with very limited opportunity. He understandably looked a bit at sea but I thought he showed enough in some key areas to warrant a bit of investment in his development as a forward.

Oh well - best of luck to him.

Either had to be delisted or upgraded to the senior list. Hasn’t shown enough for promotion for mine especially with reduced lists and Mihocek and Madgen also requiring senior spots. Pity he done his hamstring just as he forced as way into the seniors at the back end of 2020.

Perhaps we redraft him as a rookie?

Yeah.............I reckon he's a bit unlucky after the way he looked up forward in 2020 with very limited opportunity. He understandably looked a bit at sea but I thought he showed enough in some key areas to warrant a bit of investment in his development as a forward.

Oh well - best of luck to him.

He has no forward instincts, he made laughable mistakes when playing there. Can't crumb, can't mark, not fast.. Tries hard but was never going to make it.

Good luck to Apples. Thought he'd make it up till he did his hammy against the Bumbers. Who knows, if he'd kicked better than 1 goal 2 and 1 complete shank in his game against the Roos this year he may have even been persisted with. I'm sure he'll enjoy his footy playing with his mates up at Quuna.

He has no forward instincts, he made laughable mistakes when playing there. Can't crumb, can't mark, not fast.. Tries hard but was never going to make it.

He had enough instincts to create 4 scoring opportunities. His only mistake was in not converting better.

And most of his converserion attempts were so bad the commentators started laughing.

Relevance? Has nothing to do with his instincts, that's more a composure issue. Given it was his 1st ever senior game as a forward and that he'd fought long and hard to earn that opportunity, it's hardly surprising his composure was less than it could have been.

Your capacity to just continuously slam players unnecessarily knows no bounds. Send us the video of your 1st game of VFL/AFL as a forward and we'll see how he should have done it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relevance? Has nothing to do with his instincts, that's more a composure issue. Given it was his 1st ever senior game as a forward and that he'd fought long and hard to earn that opportunity, it's hardly surprising his composure was less than it could have been.

Your capacity to just continuously slam players unnecessarily knows no bounds. Send us the video of your 1st game of VFL/AFL as a forward and we'll see how he should have done it.

This old dumb argument again.

Send me your video of your afl games first.

Also stop criticizing the club, they've made the right decision here but all u care about is shitng on the club and arguing we shouldve kept him.

Last edited:
All the best for Apples going forward. Was absolutely crucified in that game against the GWS last year and l thought after that game he was just about gone as an AFL player. Persistence got him back into the side this year to play a game, so credit to him for his dedication and application to make it at the Pies.

All the best to Apples in hopefully getting another opportunity somewhere.

This old dumb argument again.

Send me your video of your afl games first.

Also stop criticizing the club, they've made the right decision here but all u care about is shitng on the club and arguing we shouldve kept him.

The guy is on his way out the door, he's done absolutely nothing wrong. Had a go, gave it his best shot. All you can do is give him a clip on the way out, and you weren't even right in your claim. Says more about you than it does him.

Last edited:
Was absolutely crucified in that game against the GWS last year.

I don't think he was crucified; I think he was given an opportunity. With a lack of offensive weapons, for him to have made it in the AFL as a defender, he needed to be able to compete with a large range of opponents in the air and on the ground - ala Alan Toovey. In that game, he wasn't done by height or size - the marks weren't contested. He kept on losing his man, misreading the play and/or ball flight and not getting a body on his opponent.

The guy is on his way out the door, he's done absolutely nothing wrong. Had a go, gave it his best shot. All you can do is give him a clip on the way out, and you weren't even right in your claim. Says more about you than it does him.

Oh silly me, I didn't realise we couldn't criticize players on an AFL forum, you're completely correct.

I think he was a victim of Player Development incompetence. It took too long to try him as a forward, they kept persisting with him in defence but he looked much better up forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back