Religion Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t I wake up tomorrow and choose to be gay?

I experimented with dudes a couple of times to see if I would like it, because I wasn't honestly sure if I was or wasn't into guys, but I found out I really wasn't gay. If I continued to go down that road, I would just be faking it and I didn't wanna do a half-assed job

I experimented with dudes a couple of times to see if I would like it, because I wasn't honestly sure if I was or wasn't into guys, but I found out I really wasn't gay. If I continued to go down that road, I would just be faking it and I didn't wanna do a half-assed job
Appreciate the insight but it doesn’t exactly answer my question.

The answer is....yes you can. But if you choose to be gay one morning and find out you are actually gay, it was never a choice to begin with. It was just a realisation.
If I wake up and choose to be gay, than I am gay. There’s no defining moment or task I have to perform to join the club.

So for some, but not all, it is indeed a choice.

If I wake up and choose to be gay, than I am gay. There’s no defining moment or task I have to perform to join the club.

So for some, but not all, it is indeed a choice.

If you suck a man's utensil or eat his bunghole out and you find out you enjoy it and want more......it's not a choice. If you go through with it but know deep down you don't like it, but finish the job just to be polite and keep up appearances....it was a choice and you're not all in

Honestly though, how many people just want him punished because you disagree with his religion and/or beliefs? I'd imagine it's the majority.

Pretty sad IMO.
That's a rather odd way of viewing the response to Folau. I haven't seen anyone posting here suggest that Folau should be punished merely for having religious beliefs.

Are you suggesting that Folau's intolerance should be met by tolerance? I see his sacking as a just and fair response to repeated violations of his obligations as an employee of RA. How many chances should one employee be given?

If an Australian first class cricketer repeatedly posted anti-Islam messages on social media, I'd expect them to be given the ass in the exact same way.

Fundamentalist believers like Folau need to understand that 'god' doesn't make Australian societal values or their workplace obligations obsolete. Targeting gays is no longer acceptable, even under the guise of religious freedom, and that's a step in the right direction for the nation afaic.

Really?

If you're not a Christian and a well adjusted individual you should easily be able to shrug your shoulders, move on and not think about the content of Folau's message 1 second after reading it.

Similarly to how I respond to the ridiculous hateful backward medieval nonsense written in the Quran. All the 'holy' Quran elicits from me is a wry smile an a sad shake of the head, and that's only because on reflection I'm deeply saddened by the amount of blood from innocent souls that's been shed throughout history (especially in recent times in non Islamic countries) at the behest of the words written by the crazed bloodthirsty 8th century warlord author of that book. I'd be an utter imbecile to be personally offended by something I consider nothing more than utter tripe and only good for cleaning my arse.
For someone who shrugged their shoulders and moved on 1 second after reading parts of the quran, you seem to have formed a deep emotional response. The bible and quran are very similar books...after all, they were inspired by the same god.

In the same way no sane non-believers should ever be offended by what are strict instructions found in the Bible (or some other 'holy' book) that are intended for those who actually identify themselves as Christian.

And if you are Christian of whatever denomination then that's between that follower's interpretation of those particular verses and God. According to the Bible believers will be judged by God and not what Folau or some other Christian thinks a believer of the Christian faith should act.
What if Folau was judged by the same standards that an atheist would be judged by?

If an atheist rugby player repeatedly posted online that homosexuals deserve to be tortured, would you find that acceptable? If they were given a slap on the wrist and warned of the consequences for doing so again, yet continued in defiance, what would be a reasonable response from their employer?

I get that labeling homosexuality 'immoral/sinful/whatever' wouldn't be appreciated by a lot of LGBT members. However for the average person the real world is full of instances where we have to deal with things that we find offensive (i.e. the guy flying with Qantas being sneered at for being obese or being ugly/ranga/poor/short/beanpole/dag/flog/shy/loudmouth/ bogan/etc, etc, etc...) on regular basis and more often than not we have no choice but to suck it up and keep going about our business.

The only question worth contemplating is whether Folau's assertion (via the Bible) about the immorality of homosexuality, accusing someone of what essentially is a lack of 'morals' (in Folau's opinion) on their part qualifies as 'hateful'. If so then that is a very very low bar to set for 'hatefulness'. As I said previously had Folau been demanding homosexuals be thrown off roofs, lopping their heads off then it'd be clear cut case of hate speech.
Do you consider it hateful when Aboriginals are called apes?

And that other condescending manipulative garbage argument that homosexual kids will off themselves if they accidentally came across Folau's comments. Pfft, give me a break if that's all it takes for a teen/pre-teen to send them over the edge then it was only a matter of time before they went through with it anyway. They were probably already at a stage where even a dirty look from a stranger might have put them in that state of mind, let alone what some meathead thugby player has to say on the interwebz. Not that I believe for a second that that argument has any merit and see it for the transparent shifty hyperbolic hypothetical that it is.
That's a strawman.

It's important that Folau wins this case because this is really about a sneaky indirect way that that rabid feral far Left want to unofficially ban Christianity, at the very least in the public sphere. It's not really about religion per se or else they would put the same amount of effort in attacking Islam but for some inexplicable reason they suffer from selective blindness in regards to the backwardness of the religion so much so that it makes even the most 'fundamentalist' Christian appear positively 'progressive' in comparison.

Even though I consider myself left leaning I haven't voted for Labor, at state or fed level, in I don't know how many elections as I've lost count. This sick SJW ideology has totally poisoned what was once a great party that had at its core the best interest of the average citizen. Both major parties are equally repugnant and an anathema to what I believe which has resulted in me completely tuning out from politics. Australia desperately needs a third party that represents the centrist values of the majority of normal Australians. Doubt thought that we will every be so lucky to get a viable third alternative to the rubbish the Liberals and Labor serve up.
Who is trying to ban Christianity, and where did you get the idea that the left accept Islam while attacking Christianity?

There is no tangible evidence to suggest Folau’s comment hurt, or was going to hurt Rugby Australia’s pockets in terms of revenue raised by paying customers.

Cameron Clyne chairman of Rugby Australia did say sponsors, who avoid association with harmful rhetoric heavily factored into Folau's termination.

Without sponsors there is no rugby, likewise without happy bums on seats there is no rugby and also probably no sponsors. :think:

I would probably say around when I started school. So 6 years of age.
Fascinating.

In all sincerity, I haven't met anyone else who claims to have chosen their sexual orientation. Personally, I just went with the flow...I knew what I liked and couldn't have changed it if my life depended on it.

What factors did you weigh up before choosing whether you wanted to be attracted to males, females, or both?

At age 6 or thereabouts too...wow!

Cameron Clyne chairman of Rugby Australia did say sponsors, who avoid association with harmful rhetoric heavily factored into Folau's termination.

Without sponsors there is no rugby, likewise without happy bums on seats there is no rugby and also probably no sponsors. :think:
If Alan Joyce isn’t the CEO of QANTAS, the Wallabies major sponsor doesn’t say peep on this matter. I didn’t see him make public comment when Kurtley Beale’s cocaine video surfaced. I didn’t see him come out and condemn Quade Cooper breaking into a property and stealing. He acted purely through personal interest as he and his people were at the centre of his post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fascinating.

In all sincerity, I haven't met anyone else who claims to have chosen their sexual orientation. Personally, I just went with the flow...I knew what I liked and couldn't have changed it if my life depended on it.

What factors did you weigh up before choosing whether you wanted to be attracted to males, females, or both?

At age 6 or thereabouts too...wow!
Largely social factors (i.e what was popular in the schoolyard) effected my decision. I remember not being attracted/interested to either sex before my schooling years started, and then all of a sudden choosing to pursue girls because my friends were starting to. Apologies if my answer doesn’t correlate with your narrative.

Largely social factors (i.e what was popular in the schoolyard) effected my decision. I remember not being attracted/interested to either sex before my schooling years started, and then all of a sudden choosing to pursue girls because my friends were starting to. Apologies if my answer doesn’t correlate with your narrative.
I wasn't expecting your answer to fit any narrative.

I appreciate your response.

No.

Going by that logic you can that all Folau needed to do is say PRACTICSING homosexual and it would have been fine.

I can understand that he's not into eating out a man's pink anus or sucking his bag - I don't think he would be in such trouble if he posted how he isn't a fan of such sexual activity. But to then demonise a whole group (homosexuals) is where the issue is.

I personally don't like cunnilingus but that doesn't mean I want all heterosexual men to go to hell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back