Religion Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

It's perfectly fine to find his beliefs objectionable.
Of course.

I'm sure there's a better way to put it that I can't quite think of, but my impression is that the there's a general desire to be punitive, and people are relishing his lost career. I don't get it. It's not a win for a spirit of tolerance. It's the same s**t many oppressed groups have had to deal with for their views before. We teach kids not to act out in revenge against people who mistreat them, but as a society it's all good it seems.

Of course.

I'm sure there's a better way to put it that I can't quite think of, but my impression is that the there's a general desire to be punitive, and people are relishing his lost career. I don't get it. It's not a win for a spirit of tolerance. It's the same **** many oppressed groups have had to deal with for their views before. We teach kids not to act out in revenge against people who mistreat them, but as a society it's all good it seems.

It’s called owning your decisions and mistakes.

The guy still thinks he has done nothing wrong “ society” is making sure he knows he has

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honestly though, how many people just want him punished because you disagree with his religion and/or beliefs? I'd imagine it's the majority.

Pretty sad IMO.

Just because you have religious beliefs. Doesn’t mean you can hide behind them if they are bigoted or discriminative.

Turning him into the victim is such poor taste and typical of how things play out nowadays.

Honestly though, how many people just want him punished because you disagree with his religion and/or beliefs? I'd imagine it's the majority.

Pretty sad IMO.

I don't disagree with his religion, though I do disagree with certain aspects of it. However I find his way of expressing it rank. I went to an Anglican church on Sunday. The priest said in his sermon that Folau was going about it in the wrong way. Even if that is what Folau believes, expressing it like that is only going to turn people off. There is a lot more in the Bible that talks about the love of God. Why didn't he tweet something like that?

It’s called owning your decisions and mistakes.

The guy still thinks he has done nothing wrong “ society” is making sure he knows he has

Just because you have religious beliefs. Doesn’t mean you can hide behind them if they are bigoted or discriminative.

Turning him into the victim is such poor taste and typical of how things play out nowadays.

Not making him out to be the victim - the focus of my post was actually everyone else. I'm making everyone else out to be a bit of a vindictive arsehole if anything. Doesn't change the fact that what he said was both bullshit and inappropriate.

Let me through up a hypothetical.

A openly gay rugby player tweets a Christianphobic post saying Christian beliefs are rubbish and Christians are going to hell.

Would he be sanctioned? I doubt it.

No pleasure here seeing a professional athlete lose his career over something like this but if I owned a pro rugby team I'd have fired him as well. He's going to cost us money, it's about bums on seats and particularly after the SSM debate where overwhelmingly most voted in favour of, insulted and possibly deeply hurt many. We promoted and gave him a way in to sporting fame, he abused his position and betrayed a trust which just happens to be written up in a legal contract.

On a more personal note and imo, his tweets were driven by something more than simply expressing his religion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No pleasure here seeing a professional athlete lose his career over something like this but if I owned a pro rugby team I'd have fired him as well. He's going to cost us money, it's about bums on seats and particularly after the SSM debate where overwhelmingly most voted in favour of, insulted and possibly deeply hurt many. We promoted and gave him a way in to sporting fame, he abused his position and betrayed a trust which just happens to be written up in a legal contract.

On a more personal note and imo, his tweets were driven by something more than simply expressing his religion.
It’d only cost your club money if your major sponsor’s CEO feels the tweet relates to him and as a result feigns being offended consequently giving you a tap on the shoulder to take action. Otherwise there’s no actual evidence to suggest what he said would effect the revenue the sport makes through its fans.

Not making him out to be the victim - the focus of my post was actually everyone else. I'm making everyone else out to be a bit of a vindictive arsehole if anything. Doesn't change the fact that what he said was both ******** and inappropriate.

Doesn't change the fact that what he said was both ******** and inappropriate.

Really?

If you're not a Christian and a well adjusted individual you should easily be able to shrug your shoulders, move on and not think about the content of Folau's message 1 second after reading it.

Similarly to how I respond to the ridiculous hateful backward medieval nonsense written in the Quran. All the 'holy' Quran elicits from me is a wry smile an a sad shake of the head, and that's only because on reflection I'm deeply saddened by the amount of blood from innocent souls that's been shed throughout history (especially in recent times in non Islamic countries) at the behest of the words written by the crazed bloodthirsty 8th century warlord author of that book. I'd be an utter imbecile to be personally offended by something I consider nothing more than utter tripe and only good for cleaning my arse.

In the same way no sane non-believers should ever be offended by what are strict instructions found in the Bible (or some other 'holy' book) that are intended for those who actually identify themselves as Christian.

And if you are Christian of whatever denomination then that's between that follower's interpretation of those particular verses and God. According to the Bible believers will be judged by God and not what Folau or some other Christian thinks a believer of the Christian faith should act.

I get that labeling homosexuality 'immoral/sinful/whatever' wouldn't be appreciated by a lot of LGBT members. However for the average person the real world is full of instances where we have to deal with things that we find offensive (i.e. the guy flying with Qantas being sneered at for being obese or being ugly/ranga/poor/short/beanpole/dag/flog/shy/loudmouth/ bogan/etc, etc, etc...) on regular basis and more often than not we have no choice but to suck it up and keep going about our business.

The only question worth contemplating is whether Folau's assertion (via the Bible) about the immorality of homosexuality, accusing someone of what essentially is a lack of 'morals' (in Folau's opinion) on their part qualifies as 'hateful'. If so then that is a very very low bar to set for 'hatefulness'. As I said previously had Folau been demanding homosexuals be thrown off roofs, lopping their heads off then it'd be clear cut case of hate speech.

And that other condescending manipulative garbage argument that homosexual kids will off themselves if they accidentally came across Folau's comments. Pfft, give me a break if that's all it takes for a teen/pre-teen to send them over the edge then it was only a matter of time before they went through with it anyway. They were probably already at a stage where even a dirty look from a stranger might have put them in that state of mind, let alone what some meathead thugby player has to say on the interwebz. Not that I believe for a second that that argument has any merit and see it for the transparent shifty hyperbolic hypothetical that it is.

It's important that Folau wins this case because this is really about a sneaky indirect way that that rabid feral far Left want to unofficially ban Christianity, at the very least in the public sphere. It's not really about religion per se or else they would put the same amount of effort in attacking Islam but for some inexplicable reason they suffer from selective blindness in regards to the backwardness of the religion so much so that it makes even the most 'fundamentalist' Christian appear positively 'progressive' in comparison.

Even though I consider myself left leaning I haven't voted for Labor, at state or fed level, in I don't know how many elections as I've lost count. This sick SJW ideology has totally poisoned what was once a great party that had at its core the best interest of the average citizen. Both major parties are equally repugnant and an anathema to what I believe which has resulted in me completely tuning out from politics. Australia desperately needs a third party that represents the centrist values of the majority of normal Australians. Doubt thought that we will every be so lucky to get a viable third alternative to the rubbish the Liberals and Labor serve up.

It’d only cost your club money if your major sponsor’s CEO feels the tweet relates to him and as a result feigns being offended consequently giving you a tap on the shoulder to take action. Otherwise there’s no actual evidence to suggest what he said would effect the revenue the sport makes through its fans.

I have to disagree with that, while there may be no way of exactly quantifying a loss of revenue there will be an affect to ticket sales and merchandising. You can't offend so many people, many families with kids attracted to a sport that promotes inclusion and still expect them to happily spend their money backing your team.

How is this not any better and a little hypocritical?

So me thinking someone is a nut job for believing in a big man in the sky is apparently on par with being a bigot towards homosexuals? Great call

Again you may say you aren't painting Folau and religious believers as victims , but your posts say otherwise

I have to disagree with that, while there may be no way of exactly quantifying a loss of revenue there will be an affect to ticket sales and merchandising. You can't offend so many people, many families with kids attracted to a sport that promotes inclusion and still expect them to happily spend their money backing your team.
How do you know that those on social media who were feigning their outrage in order to “cancel” Folau were even paying customers?

A lot of the comments on Social media which is where the perception arose that the public were outraged, came from people overseas, or people that probably couldn’t even tell you who the captain of the Wallabies is. As we saw in the recent election, social media is not an accurate reflection of wider society.

Not making him out to be the victim - the focus of my post was actually everyone else. I'm making everyone else out to be a bit of a vindictive arsehole if anything. Doesn't change the fact that what he said was both ******** and inappropriate.

Everyone else is a vindictive arsehole for saying his beliefs are rubbish ? Maybe don't have those crap beliefs in the first place and people wont call you out for it.

Its like calling a racist out , you call them out because its utter bullcrap to treat anyone different for their skin colour. Same goes with Homosexuality. The racist person doesn't them become the victim because people pull him in to line

So me thinking someone is a nut job for believing in a big man in the sky is apparently on par with being a bigot towards homosexuals? Great call

Again you may say you aren't painting Folau and religious believers as victims , but your posts say otherwise
Yeah, calling religious people mentally ill pretty much is. How is it not?

Everyone else is a vindictive arsehole for saying his beliefs are rubbish ? Maybe don't have those crap beliefs in the first place and people wont call you out for it.

Its like calling a racist out , you call them out because its utter bullcrap to treat anyone different for their skin colour. Same goes with Homosexuality. The racist person doesn't them become the victim because people pull him in to line
I said they were vindictive for wanting him to lose his job and to be publicly shamed, not for saying his beliefs are rubbish. I say his beliefs are rubbish. But I don't get any joy from seeing him suffer, much like I don't get any joy from seeing LGBT people suffer. There's a difference.

How do you know that those on social media who were feigning their outrage in order to “cancel” Folau were even paying customers?

A lot of the comments on Social media which is where the perception arose that the public were outraged, came from people overseas, or people that probably couldn’t even tell you who the captain of the Wallabies is. As we saw in the recent election, social media is not an accurate reflection of wider society.

I'm active over social media, I didn't see it until it made the news and the reason I didn't was because I don't follow the rugby. I'm going to assume there are people over social media who do follow Folau not for his religious views but on his platform as a rugby player that did see it straight away? And that they were upset, no surprise.

That aside, the proof in that he 'd hurt the team or the sport in general was the clause he was fired under being there in the first place.

He could have cherry picked any religious passage, he chose a very violent hell to make his point. That's a really scary place for little kids.

Really?

If you're not a Christian and a well adjusted individual you should easily be able to shrug your shoulders, move on and not think about the content of Folau's message 1 second after reading it.
I haven't read through your whole post but in response to the above, I agree. People are generally too quick to jump on the offence train, particularly on behalf of others. But that doesn't take away from what he said as being 1. Wrong, and 2. Inappropriate. It's inappropriate because he is a public figure who - like it or not - is held to a standard higher than average Joe or Jane. And he of course knows that. If Folou was a public figure because he is a religious minister, or (ultra) socially conservative opinion writer/talking head, then it's in his job description to put that stuff out there, but he isn't.

I'm active over social media, I didn't see it until it made the news and the reason I didn't was because I don't follow the rugby. I'm going to assume there are people over social media who do follow Folau not for his religious views but on his platform as a rugby player that did see it straight away? And that they were upset, no surprise.

That aside, the proof in that he 'd hurt the team or the sport in general was the clause he was fired under being there in the first place.

He could have cherry picked any religious passage, he chose a very violent hell to make his point. That's a really scary place for little kids.
It only made the news because the cancel crowds campaign against him grew legs as thousands of non rugby watching social justice warriors flocked over to his Instagram page to let him know of their apparent outrage.

Their sheer volume of outrage on social media created the perception that paying customers were offended and were going to cease spending money following their super rugby team or the wallabies unless Folau was sacked. That coupled with Alan Joyce’s leverage as being the CEO of Rugby Australia’s major sponsor was enough for Rugby Australia to bow down to the rainbow brigade.

There is no tangible evidence to suggest Folau’s comment hurt, or was going to hurt Rugby Australia’s pockets in terms of revenue raised by paying customers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back