Religion Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming you identify as a heterosexual man, are you saying that you could choose to be attracted to other men right now as an act of will?
I’m sure I could. Do I want to? No. If I wake up in the morning and decide to identify as a homosexual, who’s to say that I’m not?? Is there some sort of test I need to pass in order to be a fully fledged member of the club?

So cause it's a choice it's ok to make nasty comments about someones faith?
I don't particularly like Christianity or any other religion for that matter, yet see no reason to make nasty comments towards someone regarding their faith without cause.

People love their faith in the same way that a new mother sees their chubby little baby as the most adorable thing in the world, and I don't want to be the arsehole who ruins their fantasy.

On the other hand, if you use your faith as a weapon against others or try to insert it where it doesn't belong (eg creationism pseudoscience in classrooms, mixing religion and politics), the gloves come off.

Folau opened himself and his faith up to ridicule through his own actions.

I’m sure I could. Do I want to? No. If I wake up in the morning and decide to identify as a homosexual, who’s to say that I’m not?? Is there some sort of test I need to pass in order to be a fully fledged member of the club?
I know some people who have a fluid form of sexuality, in which they claim to be situationally bisexual even though it's not their normal preference. I view it similar to a casual smoker who enjoys smoking at parties, but has no desire for cigarettes elsewhere.

I wouldn't say that's the norm though. Most people have no choice in their sexual preferences.

Long time lurker on BF in general (apparently I created this account EIGHT years ago?!) but this thread has me compelled to comment - largely because I think there's a chance we could all be a part of a big moment of realisation in someone's life.

Largely social factors (i.e what was popular in the schoolyard) effected my decision. I remember not being attracted/interested to either sex before my schooling years started, and then all of a sudden choosing to pursue girls because my friends were starting to. Apologies if my answer doesn’t correlate with your narrative.

I want to frame my response to this with some of my own experience. I'm a straight male in my mid-thirties. When I started primary school I had a similar experience to the one given above - I felt like I should be interested in girls because that's what I was "meant" to do and it's what all the other boys were doing, so I don't think you're making that up. I will say that any interest I had then bore no similarity what I felt as an andolescent and an adult. I'd suggest plenty of gay men have similar experiences when they're young children.

In my late teens I started to label myself bisexual. This was partially because I found some men attractive, but if I'm honest with myself I probably mostly thought that it seemed cool and that telling cute bi girls that I was bi as well was getting me on the fast track to FFM-o'clock.

Since I'd labelled myself that way, though, I tried to live up to it. I really tried to be into men. Really tried. But I never felt particularly drawn into any experience I had. Never felt compelled to push anything further. Never replayed anything in my head or felt electricity and excitement at touch like I did with women.

In my late twenties I acknowledged (almost ruefully) that although I can appreciate looking at an attractive man, I'm well and truely on the heterosexual end of the Kinsey scale.

The reason I say all of this is that in my personal experience sexuality isn't chosen - I had a real hard go at choosing mine. If you're arguing in good faith that you could wake up tomorrow and choose to be as interested in men as you are in women? Dude, you're bisexual.

tl;dr: could like guyz? ur a bis.

I guess I should say something about Israel Folau, too... I could be the best, say, accountant in the world, but if I tell my firm's main client that they're a knob and they withdraw their account as a result of that then I'm a bad employee and my boss is within their rights to sack me. Same with Israel Folau. Great rugby player, but if his actions cost his employer money then he's a bad employee and they're within their rights to terminate his contract.

Feds look like introducing 'folau's law' to stop anyone being sacked for their religious beliefs again.

I legitimately don't have another account and was brought out of lurking by something that seemed to be an interesting topic of conversation (your suggestion that you could be gay if you wanted to). Turned out I'd already signed up for an account years ago and couldn't sign up for a new one with my main email address.

Based on that response I think this is probably just going to be a **** fight, though.

Have a good one!
That made up story might be believable to people who believe in Australia switching to renewables having a tangible effect on the earths climate, or in Santa Claus, but I’m far more sensible than that.

Whoever you are - I appreciate you firing up your alt account after 8 years in the wilderness just for me! Your gaydar is broken though.

That made up story might be believable to people who believe in Australia switching to renewables having a tangible effect on the earths climate, or in Santa Claus, but I’m far more sensible than that.

Whoever you are - I appreciate you firing up your alt account after 8 years in the wilderness just for me! Your gaydar is broken though.
Get a life mate, no need to dump on someone revealing something personal. Stop accusing everyone of having alt accounts will ya?

Feds look like introducing 'folau's law' to stop anyone being sacked for their religious beliefs again.

He wasn't sacked because of his religious beliefs, he was sacked for breach of contract something the RWNJ seems to fail to comprehend!

The irony of someone who believes in the fairy tale of 3 random dudes turning up with gifts and virgin birth is laugable! :drunk:

"who believe in Australia switching to renewables having a tangible effect on the earths climate" -Hey champ, you're in the Israel Filou thread, what has your quasi-science ideas got to do with rugby?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is in dispute for one, secondly under the proposed law you can't put it or enforce it in a contract

This is in dispute
No its not, its fact.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/05/03/israel-folau-hearing

Folau found guilty of breach, contract termination still an option as hearing concludes

Israel Folau has been found guilty of a high level breach of Rugby Australia's code of conduct, leaving the door open for the star Wallaby and Waratah's contract to be terminated.

secondly under the proposed law you can't put it or enforce it in a contract

The Commonwealth is looking at introducing legislation that will overide contracts terms and prohibit enforcement of breach of contract on religious grounds? FFS and the RWNJ like you clap along blindly to this!

Maybe I should've re-phrased it, you get shot down if you express an opinion that goes against the previously mentioned whatevers.
Let's go cliche.
Everyone has the right to an opinion - with two caveats.
1. It can be challenged
2. It should conform to societal norms of decency (whatever they are!). Respect?

When challenging an opinion, it does not necessarily mean that the source has no right to hold it. It simply continues the right to opinion by opposing the original comment. Any attempt to shut down opinion is a denial of the right of free speech - but - opinions should stay within those boundaries of respect.

Announcing an opinion has responsibilities. See references to 'respect'.

"Toughen up" is a macho term and value-laden. How about accepting criticism as a consequence of your views. BUT, never accept bigotry, abuse or bullying.

No its not, its fact.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/05/03/israel-folau-hearing

The Commonwealth is looking at introducing legislation that will overide contracts terms and prohibit enforcement of breach of contract on religious grounds? FFS and the RWNJ like you clap along blindly to this!
No it's not they believe in their opinion, not a court, that he breached a code of conduct. This is disputed at best.

Yes on part 2 it will override any contractual clause, just like folau, should under current laws be able to practice his religion as a private citizen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back