Football Park - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw a nine news snippet tonight about Football Park, feature will be on tomorrow nights 6pm news, developer saying it’ll take 6-7 months to do the demolition once it starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cant they just host the Port family day, and get it over and done with in one day?

Saw a nine news snippet tonight about Football Park, feature will be on tomorrow nights 6pm news, developer saying it’ll take 6-7 months to do the demolition once it starts.

Once it starts? So they still have no idea when they'll start pulling down the stadium?

It's obviously not starting for a couple of months as my daughter got an invite to the Crows coaching clinic on April 23rd.

Personally think it's a bit sad that they aren't keeping the members stand in some capacity after the housing development is completed like they have at AFL Park

I went to the intraclub last saturday, and did some more exploring, hopefully not for the last time.
I decided to have a decent look in the media centre, only had a look in a couple of rooms though. If I get another chance I'll have a better look, and try to find my way into the superbox area (the doors inside the stadium were locked sadly).
Part of the media centre is the "screen control room".
WIHLzMS.jpg

AswhsZM.jpg

o05oeD4.jpg

H3fcokF.jpg

PH1Or7D.jpg

Not sure what this room is called, but I believe that the audio was controlled from here.
w45OkF3.jpg

DQJXpTO.jpg

1n7V2Zp.jpg

Such a shame that the Members Stand isn’t going to be spared, as it could still function as part of a residential redevelopment like it we’ve seen at Waverley. Keeping it would have at least kept the venue a viable option for JLT, SANFL or AFLW matches down the line as well.

Such a shame that the Members Stand isn’t going to be spared, as it could still function as part of a residential redevelopment like it we’ve seen at Waverley. Keeping it would have at least kept the venue a viable option for JLT, SANFL or AFLW matches down the line as well.
There are already a number of state-league ovals available year-round, or at least during pre-season, which are fine for all three of these functions. Elizabeth, Alberton, Richmond, Norwood and Noarlunga don't host cricket. Any extra requirements for JLT or AFLW only assist in keeping them at standard. Add Thebarton to the mix as well. These also get regular use - the upkeep on the stand without regular use would be a waste.

Isn't the main stand at Waverly now the Hawthorn operations centre? That's why it's been kept. The western stand here would sit idle most of the time.

There are already a number of state-league ovals available year-round, or at least during pre-season, which are fine for all three of these functions. Elizabeth, Alberton, Richmond, Norwood and Noarlunga don't host cricket. Any extra requirements for JLT or AFLW only assist in keeping them at standard. Add Thebarton to the mix as well. These also get regular use - the upkeep on the stand without regular use would be a waste.

Isn't the main stand at Waverly now the Hawthorn operations centre? That's why it's been kept. The western stand here would sit idle most of the time.

If they do it again next year, wouldn’t mind the summer showdown at Thebby Oval

The main stand at Waverley and the mural are heritage listed, which is why they were kept when Mirvac purchased the land. Hawthorn didn’t decide to move there until near the end of Ian Dickers time as president, which was well after the rest of the ground had gone. The main stand isn’t only Hawthorn’s admin base, it also houses a supermarket, public gym, cafes and take away outlets. It still houses all of this despite having 4 bays of seating chopped off on each side during the development. Kaufman’s videos show that the members stand at Football Park could accomodate something similar - hence it won’t sit idle most of the time as these facilities would be used by the young families and single professionals who live in the housing development.

Even with Footy Park only having a members stand, I’d still back it to pull a better crowd and have better facilities than any of those other grounds you mentioned. The 6k at Alberton on the weekend for the Showdown was a poor crowd, barely half what they pre season showdown got at AAMI 2-3 years back. Upkeep on a predominantly concrete stand, with plastic bucket seating would be negligible and paid for by AFL grants anyway.

The main stand at Waverley and the mural are heritage listed, which is why they were kept when Mirvac purchased the land. Hawthorn didn’t decide to move there until near the end of Ian Dickers time as president, which was well after the rest of the ground had gone. The main stand isn’t only Hawthorn’s admin base, it also houses a supermarket, public gym, cafes and take away outlets. It still houses all of this despite having 4 bays of seating chopped off on each side during the development. Kaufman’s videos show that the members stand at Football Park could accomodate something similar - hence it won’t sit idle most of the time as these facilities would be used by the young families and single professionals who live in the housing development.

Even with Footy Park only having a members stand, I’d still back it to pull a better crowd and have better facilities than any of those other grounds you mentioned. The 6k at Alberton on the weekend for the Showdown was a poor crowd, barely half what they pre season showdown got at AAMI 2-3 years back. Upkeep on a predominantly concrete stand, with plastic bucket seating would be negligible and paid for by AFL grants anyway.
There are shops right across the road, plus more being built. There would have been other factors at play with the NAB game the year after the stadium closed, such as nostalgia, and the fact that, at the time, it was still a fully-functioning stadium. Why would the AFL want to fund a grandstand that it gets negligable benefit from, when it can assist other venues in improving their facilities, as has happened with re-turfing and new goalposts at Richmond?
Keeping the grandstand on one side and the Crows' place on the other doesn't exactly create an open community oval feel - Waverly only has one large structure around it, not one each side bracketing it.
The western stand is not needed. Let's not waste anyone's money on refurbishing and upkeeping it.

Thought the members stand was going to be retained given they still hasn’t removed the seats? Although I’m surprised the seats below the northern balcony stand haven’t gone yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

V

Very good point

Although would that door be locked/alarmed?
Don't think it would be alarmed. Might be locked though.
There are other entrances into the stadium, some gates have doors next to them, there is also the superbox entrance on the outside.
There would probably be an open door somewhere

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I went to the intraclub last saturday, and did some more exploring, hopefully not for the last time.
I decided to have a decent look in the media centre, only had a look in a couple of rooms though. If I get another chance I'll have a better look, and try to find my way into the superbox area (the doors inside the stadium were locked sadly).
Part of the media centre is the "screen control room".
1n7V2Zp.jpg
should have grabbed the CD's! :D

should have grabbed the CD's! :D
I grabbed a few of them.
2CFFhTVLjFjvf_baK1UDDWrq0PqfTxFtf1uhzllnkYGjtIZ8UrhIR_hYfDqbDqBObZ5AzAyKUAvLN5Uut00KW7OC4Ap35B4qx7y02C7-mn1s1QQmlL2zf9Gx0tksy90XzWm2GtKVNi-34lq_c952oBV_wIWrCmhw9NeEl29yQHyQcBmQTdCwVTV1XYH_WjcXp8_AwpxgNZK55oMS_7iR9I866XK3WOQyc6oSDhyktOadT39tnAqL82tJZ2jP3Rb_QaXOz9_TFDlwxZRM7IJF5O0KHZb9zPjMT6gbEHBEQvLNs3PZ5dqK5uikji0yB6U7l6ayLUGgvG5k03jFMuXp3W0P3tX0y2zBNcRvkyFFBA6Fr6SGA1ptKPM4Amhz7LFzeefNtEPvZ_thkTF1qYSUXubEZ3eJ1Tr3CVbdvftuH8H0q0Xamh-CGNVBIwgVpDnPiS_7QjZClslfJzn7yKBkHxvjXEMuYpuS8sQ7LYuEmtUwwTLDMSE2--47CD03PeVWyDnePaOvlvhcKIXeCTSi8Nqw8VAc_mAXaMhDJORpxbaZm7ucTrW3C-4IOXVYNLSRPXJgaDZyBPidD7Aw2THOSG5aP8WA_S5FskXjMlE=w850-h637-no

I took these as I expected for this CDs to have club songs on them, but instead they only have these random songs that would have been played at quarter breaks, before a game and after a game.
If I am to visit again I'll probably grab them all. Some interesting stuff to be found surely.

I grabbed a few of them.
2CFFhTVLjFjvf_baK1UDDWrq0PqfTxFtf1uhzllnkYGjtIZ8UrhIR_hYfDqbDqBObZ5AzAyKUAvLN5Uut00KW7OC4Ap35B4qx7y02C7-mn1s1QQmlL2zf9Gx0tksy90XzWm2GtKVNi-34lq_c952oBV_wIWrCmhw9NeEl29yQHyQcBmQTdCwVTV1XYH_WjcXp8_AwpxgNZK55oMS_7iR9I866XK3WOQyc6oSDhyktOadT39tnAqL82tJZ2jP3Rb_QaXOz9_TFDlwxZRM7IJF5O0KHZb9zPjMT6gbEHBEQvLNs3PZ5dqK5uikji0yB6U7l6ayLUGgvG5k03jFMuXp3W0P3tX0y2zBNcRvkyFFBA6Fr6SGA1ptKPM4Amhz7LFzeefNtEPvZ_thkTF1qYSUXubEZ3eJ1Tr3CVbdvftuH8H0q0Xamh-CGNVBIwgVpDnPiS_7QjZClslfJzn7yKBkHxvjXEMuYpuS8sQ7LYuEmtUwwTLDMSE2--47CD03PeVWyDnePaOvlvhcKIXeCTSi8Nqw8VAc_mAXaMhDJORpxbaZm7ucTrW3C-4IOXVYNLSRPXJgaDZyBPidD7Aw2THOSG5aP8WA_S5FskXjMlE=w850-h637-no

I took these as I expected for this CDs to have club songs on them, but instead they only have these random songs that would have been played at quarter breaks, before a game and after a game.
If I am to visit again I'll probably grab them all. Some interesting stuff to be found surely.
Hope you do!

I grabbed a few of them.

Europe - The final countdown
Eminem - lose yourself (instrumental)
Bon Jovi - it's my life

It's obviously not starting for a couple of months as my daughter got an invite to the Crows coaching clinic on April 23rd.

Personally think it's a bit sad that they aren't keeping the members stand in some capacity after the housing development is completed like they have at AFL Park

What time does the clinic start?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back