Footy in India

Remove this Banner Ad

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is extracted from the AFL Asia report.

"AFL India’s 55.21% increase in participants is the direct result of their strategical approach towards increasing the total amount of AFL playing states within the country, which has significantly risen from 8 to 12 throughout the year. West Bengal alone had an increase of over 2,000 participants and indicates further growth is imminent in the world’s second most populated country. "

That is good but it has to be balanced with reality like

This is AFL players in India for no football effect.
This is a general theme here, whereby AFL entities could leverage some local exposure.
Currently there is an AFL team in Houston but no mention of any contact with the local club.
This seems always to be the case. Surely, it's not too hard to take some time off to meet local fans.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
That is good but it has to be balanced with reality like

This is AFL players in India for no football effect.
This is a general theme here, whereby AFL entities could leverage some local exposure.
Currently there is an AFL team in Houston but no mention of any contact with the local club.
This seems always to be the case. Surely, it's not too hard to take some time off to meet local fans.
I think you do not have much enthusiasm for footy in India -Fair enough its your opinion.
But sure its all very grassroots ATM however as Sudip said time is needed and they are sowing the seeds slowly but surely.
So what is your reality - Do you think it will fail like the other attempts or are you looking at India and thinking what the hell.
The country is a bit chaotic but there is something happening up there with our game and its positive AND IT WILL GROW.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you do not have much enthusiasm for footy in India -Fair enough its your opinion.

i don't know how you get that idea. i was suggesting that when AFL identities go anywhere in the world
that they should link up with local football for promotion and encouragement.

India is finally moving due to the efforts of volunteers. The AFL has recognised that but they hardly have a focus.
India probably does need an exhibition game. Generally I say exhibition games aren't the best cost/benefit device
but like the BBL has followed football in Australia maybe football can somehow follow BBL in India.

In 1969 WAFL sides East Perth and Subiaco played an exhibition game in New Delhi.
In 2006 The WAFL announced plans for the WAFL grand finalists to stage a match in Mumbai but it didn't go ahead.
As a general suggestion it would be an idea for the AFL to offer to help share the load.
I'm sure the WAFL could have maintained the momentum in the R.S.A. and could be useful in India.
WAFL exhibition games would cost a fraction of AFL games and the players would be more than willing to go.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
i don't know how you get that idea. i was suggesting that when AFL identities go anywhere in the world
that they should link up with local football for promotion and encouragement.

India is finally moving due to the efforts of volunteers. The AFL has recognised that but they hardly have a focus.
India probably does need an exhibition game. Generally I say exhibition games aren't the best cost/benefit device
but like the BBL has followed football in Australia maybe football can somehow follow BBL in India.

In 1969 WAFL sides East Perth and Subiaco played an exhibition game in New Delhi.
In 2006 The WAFL announced plans for the WAFL grand finalists to stage a match in Mumbai but it didn't go ahead.
As a general suggestion it would be an idea for the AFL to offer to help share the load.
I'm sure the WAFL could have maintained the momentum in the R.S.A. and could be useful in India.
WAFL exhibition games would cost a fraction of AFL games and the players would be more than willing to go.

Did find a recent quote from SUDIP CHAKRABORTY Founder & Secretary General at Australian Rules Football Association of India (AFL India)
This is the person who in 2008 went on a initial Solo effort right around India to try and introduce our game from a nil base.
He said India not ready for AFL Exhibition Matches yet due to low public awareness.
Four AFL Clubs are interested in being involved.

The WAFL currently is not flush with funds -from the WA Footy Commission who in turn live off the Eagles and Dockers.
The Eagles are very flush with funds and the Dockers not much so.
The Eagles and Dockers did their bit for South Africa in February 2008.
In the same month, the AFL announced that 4 of its clubs had applied for access to specific recruiting zones in South Africa and to provide investment and development support through clinics and end of season tours. The clubs include Collingwood (Western Cape), Fremantle (North West), Carlton and the West Coast Eagles.
That move petered out over time - I think after 3 years.

That is the reality of WA footy in 2019. Trips overseas for promotions are not on the agenda.
The actual reality of the footy in India is about to be highlighted next month.
The 2020 National Championships will be held and are promising to be the biggest yet.
Will try and get results for them.
David Stevenson manager for India when asked in Shanghai at the Port/Saints match "What about India"
His reply - The Seychelles have a better chance than India.
Make of that what you like -Was he joking or serious.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
He said India not ready for AFL Exhibition Matches yet due to low public awareness.

That's why i said " Generally I say exhibition games aren't the best cost/benefit device " it depends on the underwriting.

The WAFL currently is not flush with funds

That's why i said " it would be an idea for the AFL to offer to help share the load. " i.e. underwrite certain activities that would be too expensive with AFL personnel.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
That's why i said " Generally I say exhibition games aren't the best cost/benefit device " it depends on the underwriting.
Yes we already know that - But currently the AFL not interested which in part maybe explained by Stevensons comment in Shanghai.

That's why i said " it would be an idea for the AFL to offer to help share the load. " i.e. underwrite certain activities that would be too expensive with AFL personnel.
Why would they when they are continuing with Demitriou`s policy of getting the Clubs to get involved in overseas promotions- We think.
Who knows what goes on at the AFL House Silo sometimes.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why would they

They? They are the AFL and the AFL is the 18 clubs. The 18 clubs are primarily concerned with the business of the AFL
Whilst it might be easy to criticise certain public figures a lot of the blame must go on ordinary Australians
who haven't really taken up the cause.
The Australian virtually demanded AFLW and that's what they got.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
They? They are the AFL and the AFL is the 18 clubs. The 18 clubs are primarily concerned with the business of the AFL
Whilst it might be easy to criticise certain public figures a lot of the blame must go on ordinary Australians
who haven't really taken up the cause.
The Australian virtually demanded AFLW and that's what they got.
The AFL is made up of many parts to make up the whole.
I am only concerned about the International Footy part - At AFL House and any person who is involved at AFL House in I.F..
Those particular persons are fair game for criticism in my opinion.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Getting back on topic. The posting below talks about a Southern India 4 team comp that happened in November.
This is the reality of footy in India today.

ARFAI-South-Zone-2019-Banner_Small-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
AFL India 2020 Nationals Jan 5/6
An Umpire contingent (6) from the Bendigo League in Victoria will umpire some of the matches, and likely other footy officials will travel as well.
This is developing into a showcase event for our game up there and hopefully some coverage will surface.
Murshidabad is a town in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is located on the eastern bank of the Hooghly River, a distributary of the Ganges River.
The Lalgola MN Academy was established 100 years ago and is well known in India.

81183444_3119883631378035_5728090809140510720_o.jpg

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Notes on above Nationals.
There will be 10 Indian States represented which is the highest total yet and represents continued grassroots growth on the path to 41 States having a footy presence to get official Govt Sports assistance.
The comp will run over 3 days with today as a coaching and activity day followed by 2 days of matches.
There will be Mens, Womens and junior teams attending. AFL India has set a target of 20% Womens overall participation for the country.
The matches will be played on Soccer pitches - That is what has been reported.
Seniors will play 9 a side.
Juniors will play 11 a side.
Senior players are eligible for selection for the Indian National team for IC2020.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The first day of the National comp was about grassroots coaching complete with the animals. Looks like a large area AFL India have been allocated.
81140459_3127742600592138_2764547986032689152_n.jpg
81140459_3127742600592138_2764547986032689152_n.jpg

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Special congratulations to Andhra Magpies - Australian Football for making debut at the # 8th national championship as the 10th Indian state of the #aflindia family.
The Magpies represent the State of Andhra Pradesh in the South of India.
No results yet after first day of competition however lots of stuff on AFL India Facebook if people are interested.
We have to remember this comp is basic Grassroots Footy at this time but the potential down the track is enormous.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The 2020 AFL India Nationals Senior Men Championship was won by the Jarkhand Crows who defeated their long time rivals Bengal Tigers.
These two teams have been dominating the Champs in recent years.
Scores 32 - 22 and was played 9 a side format.
More details later but a sizable crowd watched on from the boundary line.
Slightly off topic but related.
After reading the history of footy in India since 2008 it can be safely said their first International Cup appearance in that year was the catalyst the game needed over there because of the requirement to send a team every 3 years to Aust.
The players required had to be available so that in turn produced local comps and expansion which today has put the game on a fairly solid basis.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The Mens Junior Championship was won by the Bengal Tigers.
The photo below shows the organising committee for the Nationals, which interestingly includes 2 Women and 2 AFL India officials. The guy driving the game in India is on the end - Sudip Chakraborty, who is based in Melbourne.
Some of the TEN Indian States involved are shown on the background banner.

Attachments

• 82371163_3142406122459119_5100084784223223808_o.jpg
    82371163_3142406122459119_5100084784223223808_o.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 97

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The twitter sphere for footy in India is generally positive for the sport over there.
However have noticed recently the introduction of feeds urging the AFL to do more for the game over there having reached 12 States with a grassroots footy presence.
Do not know where or if AFL House is funding anything up there - Presumably one would think some grassroots seeding is happening from them.
The upcoming International Cup will see AFL India send a mens team to compete and likely officials from India will be lobbying for funding.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Australian Consul General to Kolkata, Mr. Andrew Ford launched the Australian Rules Football program funded by Australian Government's Direct Aid Program to empower youth through Footy in the eastern Indian states of West Bengal, Odisha and Jharkhand. The event was organised at Angrail High School in Bongaon, West Bengal on 26th July 2019.
We did not know about that Federal Govt program -However all good.

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Found this Twitter feed on my Twitter. It was posted likely during the recent Pink Ball Test by AFL India.

There are 16,000 participants in India who have been introduced to
AFL
#Footy
@RickyPonting
& #SunilGavaskar sir. In fact the sport was introduced to India by #RickyPonting himself back in 2008
@Channel7
#AUSvIND #Adelaidetest #PinkBallTest

There were several attempts to get the game going up there and the current effort is doing the job.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Found this Twitter feed on my Twitter. It was posted likely during the recent Pink Ball Test by AFL India.

There are 16,000 participants in India who have been introduced to
AFL
#Footy
@RickyPonting
& #SunilGavaskar sir. In fact the sport was introduced to India by #RickyPonting himself back in 2008
@Channel7
#AUSvIND #Adelaidetest #PinkBallTest

There were several attempts to get the game going up there and the current effort is doing the job.

EDIT -More stuff below on the Twitter Feed.

Replying to
@AFLIndia
To answer
@RickyPonting
's question to #SUnilGavaskar sir - Yes there are many in #Mumbai and surrounding areas in Maharashtra who follow #AustralianFootball religiously. The state team for #AFLIndia Nationals every year is #MaharashtraGiants
@Afl_Maharashtra

@Channel7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back