Footy Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

You definitely want to keep running before pre season starts if you want to play footy as its still primarily a running sport.

Time trials are only used for testing and I doubt any AFL clubs use the beep test anymore because there's better tests that can be used. Most running isn't more than about 400m at once because any further isn't how you would run in a game. An example of the type of running would be 2 sets of 10 reps of 200m with 20 seconds rest periods or 250m in 45 seconds then 150m in 45 seconds. The distances and the rest periods change depending on what part of the pre season it is. If the work/rest ratio becomes less than 1:1 its more aerobic running and the greater the rest say 1:2 then it becomes more anaerobic, although its never quite as simple as aerobic or anaerobic systems being used.

One exercise you should always avoid if your doing any sort of footy training is boxing, its a great way to stay fit or become a boxer but not to make you become a better footballer. Its an inefficient aerobic exercise due to the relative size of the upper body muscles being used compared to the legs. Boxers need upper body muscular endurance, but its a pretty useless thing for footy player to have as upper body strength and power are much more important. If you start taking hundred's of marks a game then maybe boxing can be beneficial.

You definitely want to keep running before pre season starts if you want to play footy as its still primarily a running sport.

Time trials are only used for testing and I doubt any AFL clubs use the beep test anymore because there's better tests that can be used. Most running isn't more than about 400m at once because any further isn't how you would run in a game. An example of the type of running would be 2 sets of 10 reps of 200m with 20 seconds rest periods or 250m in 45 seconds then 150m in 45 seconds. The distances and the rest periods change depending on what part of the pre season it is. If the work/rest ratio becomes less than 1:1 its more aerobic running and the greater the rest say 1:2 then it becomes more anaerobic, although its never quite as simple as aerobic or anaerobic systems being used.

One exercise you should always avoid if your doing any sort of footy training is boxing, its a great way to stay fit or become a boxer but not to make you become a better footballer. Its an inefficient aerobic exercise due to the relative size of the upper body muscles being used compared to the legs. Boxers need upper body muscular endurance, but its a pretty useless thing for footy player to have as upper body strength and power are much more important. If you start taking hundred's of marks a game then maybe boxing can be beneficial.

Personally i have really reduced the amount of running i do before i go to preseason just to keep the mind fresh, if i start running in October, come Feb i am over training already. Like wise doing boxing, or a cycle class is not directly football running but it will a) help you overall fitness which is beneficial and b) cross training is a great way to mix things up and keep the mind fresh.

But agree with your comments about the running training, i believe getting the 3, 5 or 8 km runs give you the base required and the repeated shorted distance/sprint training is more game specific. Most of us on here play local footy, the rotations and speed of the game are completely different too AFL/state league level. The repeated explosive running like Dane Swan would do is less prevalent at local level, a more "steady state" running is required.

Hey fellas,
I'm not really down with all this new fitness stuff so I thought I would ask guys who are done with all the technical stuff + The methods I use are pretty old.

1. What's better for building fitness, sprints or distance?
2. I have a lot of knee problems throughout the year, what exercises can I do to build my leg muscles up?
3. What can I do to build upper body strength effectively?

Cheers.

Hey fellas,
I'm not really down with all this new fitness stuff so I thought I would ask guys who are done with all the technical stuff + The methods I use are pretty old.

1. What's better for building fitness, sprints or distance?
2. I have a lot of knee problems throughout the year, what exercises can I do to build my leg muscles up?
3. What can I do to build upper body strength effectively?

Cheers.

1 - fitness for what? whatever it is, do the same type of running that it uses so if for footy a mix of distance and sprints is required but it's the ratio of distance:sprints you use that will dictate if you've done it effectively or not

2 - it's probably not weak legs, it's probably a lack of mobility at the hips/ankle among other things...and getting strong through the glutes will help too

3 - chin ups

1 - fitness for what? whatever it is, do the same type of running that it uses so if for footy

Sorry I should've made that clearer, it is for footy.

a mix of distance and sprints is required but it's the ratio of distance:sprints you use that will dictate if you've done it effectively or not
I'm not sure what you mean by this?

2 - it's probably not weak legs, it's probably a lack of mobility at the hips/ankle among other things...and getting strong through the glutes will help too
Any tips on increasing hip/ankle mobility? I already do a ton of stretching.

Personally i have really reduced the amount of running i do before i go to preseason just to keep the mind fresh, if i start running in October, come Feb i am over training already. Like wise doing boxing, or a cycle class is not directly football running but it will a) help you overall fitness which is beneficial and b) cross training is a great way to mix things up and keep the mind fresh.

But agree with your comments about the running training, i believe getting the 3, 5 or 8 km runs give you the base required and the repeated shorted distance/sprint training is more game specific. Most of us on here play local footy, the rotations and speed of the game are completely different too AFL/state league level. The repeated explosive running like Dane Swan would do is less prevalent at local level, a more "steady state" running is required.

Cross training can be beneficial mentally to change things up and very useful when coming back from an injury, but it's not the best way to get fit for playing footy. Most local grounds aren't as big as afl grounds so there more shorter burst type running that way. But a key reason why local games are so much slower than afl games is too many teams are doing a lot of long slow runs in the pre season.

Cross training can be beneficial mentally to change things up and very useful when coming back from an injury, but it's not the best way to get fit for playing footy. Most local grounds aren't as big as afl grounds so there more shorter burst type running that way. But a key reason why local games are so much slower than afl games is too many teams are doing a lot of long slow runs in the pre season.

Disagree, its to do with the standard of footy not how they train.

Sorry I should've made that clearer, it is for footy.
I'm not sure what you mean by this?
Any tips on increasing hip/ankle mobility? I already do a ton of stretching.

well if it's for footy then break the running down that do during a game...you've got slow to medium jog say 100 - 150m long (following the ball from a stoppage), med to fast runs say 50 - 100m long (tearing off half back or fat side running) and full on sprints say anything up to 50 - 60m...now what one do you need more work on? 99% of players would have to say speed otherwise you'd be playing a pretty top level because speed is what sets everyone a part from senior to reserves players

i didn't really explain the 2nd question right, i was answering on my phone quickly but by ratio i mean the amount of long vs short distance work most players do...everyone runs 10kms but you don't see much actual speed (not sprint) work and if you do it's minimal

hip mobility:

ankle mobility -

fwiw Paul Seedsman from Collingwood was at my gym at 5.53am on Friday working with Marty Girvan.
No running involved lol

Scott Pendlebury and Witts also in that morning.
Melbourne Storm start their official pre-season Nov 4.
Alex Corvo is out.
New S&C coach is going to Westside Barbell in the next few days to train for a month.

If no one has any objections I will post all the pre-season/general training info I get out of the Demons, Collingwood and Storm from my friends involved with those clubs (didn't think it deserved its own thread)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Scott has been going into the gym with Kris (his bro)
iirc (didn't pay too much attention) Kris benches his bodyweight for 17 or so reps @ 90kg
and is in the top 5 at the gym for max pull up reps (I get the feeling it was 20+, but at a very minimum 15)
555886_523787807714571_99198726_n.jpg

chicken legs Paul Seedsman lol
http://instagram.com/p/e8TTRxr_LO/#
Fwiw if they're doing their power output testing and Seedsman maxed out at 90kg (that bar weighs about 30kg) it puts his 1rm around 120-130

Wanting to shed a few KGs before putting on some muscle for the upcoming season. Want to start weights straight away but should I cut to shed the KGs then start lifting? How do I go about cutting? Any help is appreciated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back