anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I read a lot of posts here lamenting the fact that none of our players can kick a football.
I wonder,how many of those people actually watch games,other than Fremantle games!
I watch almost every game on Fox. I understand a lot do not have Fox, but it might be an eye opener to some people to realise or understand that all club are not perfect at what they do.
Fremantle are not the only club that botch kicks on a regular basis. There are many players from other teams that kick as badly as ours do. And yes, some are top notch players.
I know our players make mistakes and get as frustrated as anyone, but check out some other teams to see that we are not Robinson Carusoes..

Every player will shank the kick sometimes, it happens. The greater issue with kicking probably falls under “decision making” category of both the kicker and a receiver, say a kick to a stationary player that would be a kick to an advantage to a moving player (and vice versa). That sort of adjustment can potentially be fixed, general inaccuracy probably less so

I read a lot of posts here lamenting the fact that none of our players can kick a football.
I wonder,how many of those people actually watch games,other than Fremantle games!
I watch almost every game on Fox. I understand a lot do not have Fox, but it might be an eye opener to some people to realise or understand that all club are not perfect at what they do.
Fremantle are not the only club that botch kicks on a regular basis. There are many players from other teams that kick as badly as ours do. And yes, some are top notch players.
I know our players make mistakes and get as frustrated as anyone, but check out some other teams to see that we are not Robinson Carusoes..
Cbs Fbi GIF by Wolf Entertainment

but what happens if fremantle fans are inherently irrational? i personally long have long suspected this to be the case. i've even met freo fans who believe the afl loves us, say west coasts fans don't smell of sulfur. the west australian gives us fair coverage. typical npc stuff.

hence we all begin to act like a scared kermit when the harsh and cold reality punches us in the face 50% of games.

Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

It's puzzling why some believe there's a widespread issue with our kicking. In reality, we're ranked second in the league for kicking efficiency this season, and we lead in overall disposal efficiency. We kick the ball less as a % of total disposals less than any other team, but when we do kick our efficiency is elite.

The only real problem we have with field kicking is that last kick into the forward 50 where we have a tendency to kick either too shallow or too deep to give our forwards a decent look at it.

It's puzzling why some believe there's a widespread issue with our kicking. In reality, we're ranked second in the league for kicking efficiency this season, and we lead in overall disposal efficiency. We kick the ball less as a % of total disposals less than any other team, but when we do kick our efficiency is elite.

The only real problem we have with field kicking is that last kick into the forward 50 where we have a tendency to kick either too shallow or too deep to give our forwards a decent look at it.
if kicking distance from goal >= 50:
____elite
else:
____trash

Yeah I watched Chad Warner take a step and bang through a goal from 55, watched their forwards snapping goals from anywhere inside and around 50, watched them punch through our zone with perfect passes end to end, watched them hit leading forwards.

I also watched our guys kicking it over the forwards heads or on the ground in front, or weighted so they had to contest, watched players miss or not make the distance from 30 out, miss handball targets.

We were schooled by a side with better skills, better decision making & execution.

Sydney are on top of the ladder, they're the yardstick. If we want to win the whole thing we have to have players who can execute at that level. We have too many who can't.

I don't think that's a controversial opinion. I do take your point. Of course other teams make mistakes and I'm generally happy with how competitive our team has been this year and we've got young key forwards who aren't always going to dominate but we don't have goal kicking midfielders or small/medium forwards of sufficient standard except Walters who's approaching the cliff and Freddy who can be a rock star or the invisible man.

Simpson looks to have the skills but its yet to be determined if he has the ability to get enough ball to be effective.
Sturt can lead and mark but is essentially useless at contested marking or when the ball is on the ground. He has no craft beyond being a good field kick and set shot. If we had players who could kick to him on the lead he could be useful but he's never going to be like Walters who creates play and creates goals from thin air.

Sorry I've digressed. Writing an essay here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back