sherbrook

Senior List
Mar 5, 2014
The mysterious East (of Melbourne)
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
The Arsenal
Does anyone else remember this paper from the late 60s-early 70s? I used to get it free every Sunday morning from my local Caltex service station.

It was started by media commentator Harry Beitzel and contained way more statistical info than was normal for the time.

Does anyone else remember this paper from the late 60s-early 70s? I used to get it free every Sunday morning from my local Caltex service station.

It was started by media commentator Harry Beitzel and contained way more statistical info than was normal for the time.

Yes, I remember it. Ran from 1965 to about 1971. First year was in booklet shape, then '66 onwards was printed in newspaper format. Wish I'd thought to keep them at the time. Fortunately in recent years on occasional visits to Melbourne have picked up a few copies from collectables stores.

Had good range of feature articles, pics, match reviews, senior VFL match stats (and some Reserves finals stats), some state match stats, plus news of country & interstate leagues.

The VFL stats from Footy Week are loaded into match scores on the AFL Tables website
http://afltables.com/afl/afl_index.html

Yes indeed, Footy Week was the first publication to keep detailed match stats (under the direction of Ray Young), and is the source for most of the 1965-1973 period.

The founder, Harry Beitzel, was good enough to allow my site (australianfootball.com) to reproduce articles from Footy Week although as yet we haven't got around to doing so - we need to source and scan them before that can begin.

Yes indeed, Footy Week was the first publication to keep detailed match stats (under the direction of Ray Young), and is the source for most of the 1965-1973 period.

The founder, Harry Beitzel, was good enough to allow my site (australianfootball.com) to reproduce articles from Footy Week although as yet we haven't got around to doing so - we need to source and scan them before that can begin.

The paper had to be hastily put together to be on the stands early Sunday and there were many typos and lack of punctuation, but the photos were second to none and the articles were written by people who knew the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back