forget kpfs

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood not going so flash with Cloke and Q.
Eagles? St Kilda? Hawkins?

I agree until Pav kicks some bags, courtesy from the midfield.

Can get by without 2 key forwards in the regular season.
Come finals time no matter how good your midfielders are they wont get the time and space to deliver pinpoint passes.
Thats why bulldogs used to be pretty damn good during regular season but then come finals time they struggled.
Name the last team to win a grand final without 2 genuine key forwards?

Come finals time no matter how good your midfielders are they wont get the time and space to deliver pinpoint passes.
Thats why bulldogs used to be pretty damn good during regular season but then come finals time they struggled.
Sydney last year?

Sydney last year?

Interesting thread guys, I tend to agree with the need for big guys later in the year. Sydney last year had LRT playing forward as well as Reid & their resting Ruck. Throw the very athletic Goodes into the mix and they can stretch any defence and clunk some big marks.

Carlton and the Bulldogs both made it deep in the finals with small forward lines however it was probably ultimately their undoing. I am a firm believer in the fact that Roughead being battered and bruised at the end of last year was the main reason for our relatively poor form in Sept.

Everybody's right... but I still don't think we need to sell the farm for one just yet. Liked what I saw of Taberner, for starters, and Pav isn't dead yet.

We only need one key forward... with a big man up front, Mayne and the crumbers become twice as damaging. Don't judge our capability on what we've seen this season so far, Pav is a massive out and with him in the side, he doesn't need to kick goals himself. He just gives everyone else twice the opportunity.
We need some depth in this area though.

Just don't spend trillions on a hopeful.

Geelong in 2007 when Cameron Mooney was the only Tall guy up forward. But he had a good supporting cast like Steve Johnson. Swans in 2005 only had Barry Hall.

Geelong in 2007 when Cameron Mooney was the only Tall guy up forward. But he had a good supporting cast like Steve Johnson. Swans in 2005 only had Barry Hall.

Was about to say that I reckon you can do it with one quality marking fwd, but they have to be 1. really good, smart players that are able to grab a handful of contested marks and 2. you have to have a good supporting cast in the fwd zone that can still bother the taller defenders and create scoreboard pressure (like your SJ has done for Geelong); players like Mayne in our team and what I think Crozier might develop into in time. In that regard, sml fwds like Walters and Balla don't count. They need to have some strength in the air to at least break even in the contest.

Having said that, I still reckon the ideal setup has two genuine tall marking targets (inc. a resting fwd/ruck), and a third mid-sized highly mobile target (Mayne style).

Just to contradict my above post, just looking at the 2007 example, Cats did have an in form resting ruckman in Ottens who was a very serious target in the fwd 50 through the finals.

But still, as a true marking 'power forward', I still think you're right. They effectively only had the one, and before his injury, Sandi was clearly being groomed to be more of a target in the fwd 50 for us. Interesting to see what happens when he gets back.

If you go back you will find heaps with one key tall and various medium talls or decoy talls. Debate presently is between two (KPF + Resting ruck or 2KPF) or three (2KPF+Resting ruck) is where most teams are at. Trick is to have tall targets but not leave yourself short of run or getting pantsed at ground level. Point is still mute if your midfield is not up to it - need both, just look at the Eagles ATM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you go back you will find heaps with one key tall and various medium talls or decoy talls. Debate presently is between two (KPF + Resting ruck or 2KPF) or three (2KPF+Resting ruck) is where most teams are at. Trick is to have tall targets but not leave yourself short of run or getting pantsed at ground level. Point is still mute if your midfield is not up to it - need both, just look at the Eagles.

I mentioned the eagles had Lynch, they also had Ashley Hansen as Centre Half forward.

Ottens counts as a real key forward.
Sydney had more than the 2 required its just they rotated players through there.

When i say real key forwards i dont mean forward is there only role i mean they understand how to play as a forward, not just thrown in there because they are tall.

IMO the ideal forward setup is 1 key forward and thats his only job in the team.
The 2nd is a good forward that can also help out and play the backup ruckman role.
So we have Pav as the number 1
Sandilands and Clarke are not capable to fill the number 2 role from what i have seen throughout their career so far.
Taberner is a few years off physically.
Hannath doesnt get to enough contests, has no 2nd efforts.

If 1 of those players mentioned became good enough and consistent enough at that 2nd role, in a few years Pav will be gone and we will have noone to play that number 1 role.

Which is why we must use a high pick or give up something of quality to get one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back