Former supporters…

Remove this Banner Ad

Might have a look at the thread title. Made me think it would be about folks who no longer support the club, and I didn't see how that was possible.
Very much possible in states which previously didn't have an AFL team (pre-Adelaide, Port Adelaide etc and other states). Growing up in Adelaide I knew someone who was previously a Hawk supporter now Crow, knew a few ex-Doggie supporters too. Just about everyone pre-AFL days had a VFL team they followed and still hold a soft spot for I might add.

Bit of a rarity to see it these days but once the Tassie team comes in I dare say there will be a few more ex suppoters around.

Historical supporters?

Not one of ours but David Schwarz was talking on radio once that he was such a massive Hawks supporter growing up he still had a cheer squad membership during his first year as a Demons player.

Last edited:
Sam Durham from the Bombers is a mad Hawk as well.
You have spent wayyy too much time around the scum to know that.

Repent!
th

Footy clubs do a kind of positive brainwashing to get players to love the club, it's past and present, it must be advantageous to have a nucleus that already have that buy in.

I don't know about all of them in that list but at least a couple seem to have been fanatics...Scrimshaw going off behind a goal at a grannie...and Ginnivan saying whilst wearing a Collingwood jersey that his dream was to play for Hawthorn. Any F/S you'd think is a bit manic, Moore feels to me like an English soccer player who's always been at the club and came up through the youth system, he seems like the heartbeat.

You can add Lachie Whitfield to that list.

While it's a nice idea thinking just being Hawthorn supporters growing up would be a big enough pull it's never as simple as that. Without having the stats I'd imagine the majority of AFL players past and present have quite happily played for other teams and never really seriously entertained the idea of changing to their "former" club for various reasons.
case in point Kennedy for Swans
and Gunners father was Essendon CEO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back