Competitions Fremantle Board - DT Keeper League (Expressions of Interest)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Fantasy Football Fanatics!

I'm thinking of running a keeper league on here with [# of teams] involved, depending on how many people are interested in getting into it.

The rules: (up for discussion)

• Each team will field 22 players.
  • Each squad will have 32 players with an option to draft up to 6 rookies only when a senior listed player has an injury of more than 4 weeks.
  • At the end of each week a rookie draft can be held but most weeks won't feature this, once a rookie is selected they stay on the list of that board member until the offseason - they are either upgraded to the main list or delisted but not counted as one of three required changes.
  • Positions and scores are as per AFL Fantasy.

I'm looking to see how interested people would be in getting involved in something like this and any experience with how they work will be appreciated.

I am interested but I'd suggest a few changes, depending on the final numbers.

I'm in a keeper league through another forum and after a little bit of trial and error, we found that the following works well. I'd also strongly encourage using http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/
They make keeper leagues work really easily, you have pretty good flexibility and scoring can be as per DT.

If there are more than 10 teams you need less starters than 22, otherwise there are no players to choose who are actually going to score points (no matter how much Zac improves his kicking, nobody wants to start him in fantasy sport). We run 18 starters (5 back, 7 mid, 1 ruck, 5 fwd) with 1 bench in each position. Out of a total squad of 30. From that 30 you need to hold all LTIs but can draft from free agents whenever throughout the year. Trading between squads is acceptable.

I like your idea on the rookie upgrades but they become a nightmare to actually manage. Is it a 4 week injury as reported by Doc Larkins, the club or a random article translated from Swahili? What happens if they are only out for 2 weeks (think of it as the Solomon/Ling clause)? We had an LTI list for the first season but it didn't work and scrapped it after that.

I was thinking of getting my computer to randomly generate a series of squads (let's say there are ten teams) then those interested are put into a random list and draft picks are awarded.

The randomly generated squads would be done by taking all the players listed position and assigning a number based on their end of year average (or total points) then I will roll a dice and whichever number it is chooses that player of the top remaining six until all positions are filled in all teams, obviously taking turns and hopefully it will spread the talent relatively evenly.

You then chose a squad out of the pre-chosen options.
Once all squads are assigned a manager those mangers can delist and shuffle, trade based on your draft pick number etc etc and we can have a proper off-season to begin.

What do you think of that? Otherwise that first draft will be huge, really, really huge.

#1 (and only) problem with keeper leagues is participants remaining interested, in particular when their team is not traveling that great. I have been in involved in an AFL league and currently still run keepers for other sports and there is nothing worse than when someone just leaves their team and forgets to change line ups etc.

Apart from that, great fun and far better than DT/SC.

#1 (and only) problem with keeper leagues is participants remaining interested, in particular when their team is not traveling that great. I have been in involved in an AFL league and currently still run keepers for other sports and there is nothing worse than when someone just leaves their team and forgets to change line ups etc.

Apart from that, great fun and far better than DT/SC.
I would like to be able to hand a team over to another board member if you're going to pull out. How has that worked out before?

A buy in normally keeps people interested and fishes out the people that were never going to stick with it.

Lets say there's a buy in of $50 with 14 teams.

First prize of $150
Second prize of $50
Weekly top score prize of $20

Win 3 of the 23 rounds and you get your money back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tayl0r that's a lot of effort. It might work but you need to make sure that it's worth the time. A keeper league of 12 teams with 30 picks will take about 2 hours (on 30s picks - that is if you haven't picked within 30s it default picks from your list). You can choose your draft order, which works for people who can't get online.

Handing teams over works but usually winning teams don't get handed over. So the person coming in often has to go through a couple of season of pain.

In terms of prizes, you can't have weekly prizes if it's a head to head league.

Tayl0r that's a lot of effort. It might work but you need to make sure that it's worth the time. A keeper league of 12 teams with 30 picks will take about 2 hours (on 30s picks - that is if you haven't picked within 30s it default picks from your list). You can choose your draft order, which works for people who can't get online.

Handing teams over works but usually winning teams don't get handed over. So the person coming in often has to go through a couple of season of pain.

In terms of prizes, you can't have weekly prizes if it's a head to head league.

Yes you can, top score for the round.

A prize for top score of the round also helps teams that can't make the finals stay interested towards the end of the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back