Fremantle vs Geelong - AFL Rd 1, 2017 - 4:40 @DS

Remove this Banner Ad

seriously? I would be more terrified of Tough man tony Abbott wearing budgie smugglers threatening to tea bag everyone

Well here is the thing... I noticed he was your teams centre half forward for most of last year and Hawkins was your full forward. He seemed serviceable last year at geelong with 23 goals from 18 games. He seemed to be a guy that just score goals from set shots after taking marks from a lead.

Then again Kersten had a decent midfield to "Feed" him.
He was ok in the first quarter of the season, then barely touched it or kicked a goal until he was dropped and didnt play again. Plenty of 6-8 touch games without scoring. Just doesnt do enough.

He's not on 400k. Can guarantee that much.
Ok you got me....

I did round it up. I was wrong to do so.

but it does start with a 3 and its well into the 300's....

Go Catters

I can't believe he was picked up. Freo must have been really, REALLY desperate (they were and are, of course). Great off-season offload from GFC. Can't remember if we got anything in return - the last pick in the draft would have been sufficient considering, though.
More than happy to explain this. Go back to the 2014, our only Key forwards were Pavlich, a rookie Matty "Tabs" Taberner, a key forward/ruck in Michael Apeness and the legendary Kepler Bradley. at t end of 2016, Freo only had Apeness and Tabs.

So freo went nuts in the trade and Draft. Freo got a lot off KPPs in the draft. We got McCarthy, Kersten by trades. Luke Strnadica on the rookie list, Griffin Logue who is 193 cm and 95 kg who is actually a utility and Brennan cox.

So Freos tall forward stocks are Tabs who is 198cms and 94 kg. Two 190cm 90 kg guys in Cam McCarthy and Shane Kersten, 2 key forward rucks in Apeness and Luke Strnadica and a CHB/CHF in Brennan cox.

The point is there is quantity meaning depth is there. Quality on the other hand is unknown.

Basically we were desperate for any experienced tall goal kicker, we even got a couple of rookies in the draft to develop. You know it takes 3-4 years develop them and law of averages say one will be at least serviceable

So Walters and McCarthy kick two junk time goals and do a celebration despite doing nothing all day in a side that lost easily yet you have a problem with Motlop kicking his third in the winning side. I would of been livid with Walters and McCarthy if they played for my side.
There was a reason behind what they did though. It was part of the fundraiser for the Starlight Foundation.
Players made a donation for doing certain things, so in that context you can't fault what they did.

BF gameday threads are so sh*t when they go on for days, christ, can't the mods lock them and have a link to Bay 13....???
Or, you know, you could just not read them if you're that much of a snowflake.

Personally I love a bit of post-game banter :thumbsu:

Lol what shocking excuses. Kissing tattoos ok but celebrating after kicking three in a winning side is not. Charity thing is also stupid if true. Charities need money not celebrations for poor performance.

Thats your opinion and as s**t as it is, you have every right to it. Just like Micheal does when he chooses to do something that can raise much needed funds for very special children and their families!

As for McCarthy, he kissed his arm band and pointed to the sky, does anything more need to be said about that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol what shocking excuses. Kissing tattoos ok but celebrating after kicking three in a winning side is not. Charity thing is also stupid if true. Charities need money not celebrations for poor performance.

You sir are an absolute scum of a human being.

Walters did that dab to raise money for the Starlight Foundation as it was our annual Purple Haze game where we happen to raise money for the Starlight Foundation and have done so for 15 years straight.

To suggest that it is stupid leads me to conclude beyond all reasonable doubt that you are a heartless human being that doesn't recognise a good cause.

I'm proud to say that my club raises money for such a good cause; I don't see your team doing something similar.

You sir are an absolute scum of a human being.

Walters did that dab to raise money for the Starlight Foundation as it was our annual Purple Haze game where we happen to raise money for the Starlight Foundation and have done so for 15 years straight.

To suggest that it is stupid leads me to conclude beyond all reasonable doubt that you are a heartless human being that doesn't recognise a good cause.

I'm proud to say that my club raises money for such a good cause; I don't see your team doing something similar.
Respect your right to criticise a poster for their view, but to suggest that Freo is the only side to do something for charity is a bit naive.
Might want to have a look at what the Cats do for not only the Starlight Foundation but also Zaidees Rainbow Foundation, Just Think and Close the Gap just to name a few.

Respect your right to criticise a poster for their view, but to suggest that Freo is the only side to do something for charity is a bit naive.
Might want to have a look at what the Cats do for not only the Starlight Foundation but also Zaidees Rainbow Foundation, Just Think and Close the Gap just to name a few.

Well looks like Geelong wins, again:handok:

Maybe he should of just given the money to charity instead rather then doing a stupid pledge.

Yes I'm referring to the person whose money it was not Walters.

Ok so you need this spelled out for you so you can comprehend it.

The idea of getting 'sponsors' to pledge an amount of money for sportspeople to do something is to 1) raise money and 2) get people talking about it.

Charities do need money - that's why Fremantle have been donating and raising money for the Starlight foundation for 15 years.
BUT charities also need people to know about them, because you can't just survive off sports clubs and players. That's why charities approach clubs to do stuff like this.

Just shut up on this subject because you're ******* clueless.

my 2c: watching fremantle yesterday was a lot like watching carlton over the last couple years. they have their midfield guns who when they get the ball great things happen. but their midfield depth is nearly as bad as ours and when someone who isn't in that elite group tries to be aggressive or proactive in their play its an automatic turnover.

my 2c: watching fremantle yesterday was a lot like watching carlton over the last couple years. they have their midfield guns who when they get the ball great things happen. but their midfield depth is nearly as bad as ours and when someone who isn't in that elite group tries to be aggressive or proactive in their play its an automatic turnover.
I think our problems last night was in the defence and forward lines. Midfield did ok. It seemed we took the ball forward just as much as they did, probably not as polished. Turnovers, resulting in 6 goals, killed the game early. Midfield and its depth was not the problem.

That has a lot to do with the pressure Geelong put on (evident by the way Fremantle started hitting targets in the last quarter when the game was over,) and the way they were able to move the ball from defence with speed and precision. Fremantle (much like most other teams) like to defend in packs but if you move the ball like Geelong did yesterday youll open them up time and time again.

Given that it was for the starlight foundation, I'll there were some sick kids that got a big kick out of seeing Sonny Walters do his 'dab'

I thought it was pretty amusing myself -even if "life-and-death football" was ongoing at the time...

Last edited:
On Kersten,
Like many catters, I always held out hope that he could turn his assets (speed, bulk, booming kick) into a good player.

I felt we let him go cheaply, many on the GFC board did, but was relieved when I realized he was having an absolute 'mare against us.

For his own sake, I hope he bounces back from this, cause the bloke must be feeling two feet tall right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back