Freo robbed !!! Ball was clearly touched. AFL media trying to cover up the obvious umpire error

Remove this Banner Ad

Adds absolutely nothing, hasn't removed howlers and has just created more controversy

And now there's numpties calling for "captains calls" in general play

Nonsensical stuff
Why ?
What’s so terrible about each team being given one opportunity to challenge a decision?

I reckon Adelaide would have liked the opportunity last year
Probably plenty of other incidents over the years but I CBF looking them up

Why just the last 5 minutes? What if your team is on the bad end of calls all game but then have a few lucky ones overturned in the dying stages? It's such a dumb idea.
Because if there is a goal in it then it’s going to be decided in the last 5 minutes and if there is a controversial call it should be reviewed

If there isn’t it was a straight up win .
It will happen one day

Why ?
What’s so terrible about each team being given one opportunity to challenge a decision?

I reckon Adelaide would have liked the opportunity last year
Probably plenty of other incidents over the years but I CBF looking them up

You realise there's already a system in place that was supposed to avoid exactly what happened to Adelaide last year and it didn't work?

And now we get the game held up for nearly every single score or possible score

I'm sure there would be no issues at all introducing more reviews

Totally agree.

I know people always hark back to the good old days of 1 umpire, but some of those games were basically back-yard brawls but with the addition of a football. The South Fremantle/Claremont/Swan Districts games in the early 80s were brutal. The second umpire made the game heaps better as a game of skill. Guys like Jimmy Krackour could go and and play without fear of Ron Boucher of Benny Vigona trying to belt the living suitcase out of them. The change from 15m penalties to 50 also helped in this regard.

The third umpire, in theory, was a good idea. It was designed to clean up the contests at either end of the ground. I still think it can work. The premise is sound. What was the 4th umpire for?

There's obviously only a certain amount of people who can do the job - it's very difficult being a 360 game.

Clearly the 4th umpire hasn't worked and I can only assume it's because A) we don't have enough umpires who can do the job at an acceptable level and B) there's no reason for him to be out there.
The AFL think the 4th umpire has worked because they only make the wrong call 25% of the time now as opposed to 27% of the time, according to them, and after allowing for a wide variety of interpretations with some umpires being more letter of the law types and others being more spirit of the game types. They don't measure consistency across umpires (or they don't tell anybody). But it's still 25% of the time and there is more inconsistency than ever. At the end of the day it's just another lever the CFL has to influence outcomes if not outright control the outcome.

I’m bored coz I’m laid up with injuries

Can someone explain the 50m penalty against Serong ?
He didn’t move and Walters quickly exited the area ?

I broke my self-imposed ban and actually watched 360 last night because I thought they might be half a chance to show the "down the ground" footage from behind the goals.

You know... 360'.... Footy from ALL angles. :rolleyes:

They did show a number of quick-edited replays from a variety of angles.

They even showed half a second of the crucial footage from the camera behind the goals. Only problem was they deliberately snipped the bit where the ball took a huge deflection off Aish's arm. We only got to see the ball land on Cotterell's chest.

Amazing omission! They refuse to show us. They're suppressing the footage just like a Chinese news channel.
They're only showing us the side-on and close-up angles which make it look like a small umpiring error, easily missed, etc etc.

Gerard "Bootlicker" Whateley repeated Kane Cornes's obfuscations from the weekend when he said the ball flicked Aish's hair.

What a world we're living in where the AFL media sanitises a simple umpiring controversy and won't show us the really damning footage, sparing the AFL & umpires from further embarrassment.

F**k the AFL.

Last edited:
Our game's rules are created in such a way that the Field umpire's word is law. For example, last year with the North out of bounds thing, I learned that the boundary umpire only ever signals to the field umpires that the ball is out. If the field umpire doesn't see or "ignores" that call then it is play on.

Watching the vision in live and slow motion, those types of calls get paid marks in the F50 each week. Sucks when it happens to your club but s**t happens. Each club has had weird and shithouse decisions against them. Alex Rance gave away a 50m penalty for giving the ball back to Josh Kennedy "too aggressively". Hell two years ago we didnt get a 50m penalty because the umpire cited "Common sense" as his rationale for not paying it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the vision in live and slow motion, those types of calls get paid marks in the F50 each week
No, they don't.

The ball ricocheted off Aish's arm by about one metre.
The ball hooped upward in the air and went on a completely different trajectory than if Aish hadn't touched it.

Those types of incidents always get called "touched, play on"

There is one simple reason why they won't show us the damning footage from behind the goals - because then everyone will see what a shocking mistake this was by the umpires. They are trying to gloss it over and make it appear as though this was a small error and easy-to-miss.

Last edited:
No, they don't.

The ball ricocheted of Aish's arm by about one metre
Those types of incidents always get called "touched, play on"

There is a reason why they won't show us the damning footage from behind the goals - because everyone will then see what a shocking error this was by the umpires.

They are trying to gloss it over and make it appear as though this was a small error by the umpires and easy-to-miss.
The slow mo from behind the play that shows the touch by Aish's armpit/shoulder area also shows that Hewitt was kicking around the corner. The deviation could easily be explained as the hooking trajectory of the kick and in real time that is what is looks like. It wasn't as though it was a straight kick that then deviated.

The slow mo from behind the play that shows the touch by Aish's armpit/shoulder area also shows that Hewitt was kicking around the corner. The deviation could easily be explained as the hooking trajectory of the kick and in real time that is what is looks like. It wasn't as though it was a straight kick that then deviated.
Mate, watch this...

This amateur footage below was taken from more than 100m away. Clear as day. Shocking umpiring.

It just needed one of the 3 non-controlling umps to be standing central and they would've got the call right.
I've even heard conjecture that one of them did actually call "touched" but he went into his shell after umpire Whetton paid the mark.

Last edited:
Yes
It would be the honourable thing to do

Close, but the player marking the ball might not know. The only person who knows for sure is the player who touches the ball.

So bring back player integrity. If they say they touched the ball, it’s considered touched.

How to avoid the Stephen Silvagni plague of pretending everything was touched?

Every touched event is reviewed post game.

If a player is found guilty not touching the ball when they claimed it was touched, then they receive an automatic 4 game suspension. No tribunal, no review, no appeal. A straight up 4 game ban.

Do it in finals, it’s 8 games and do it in a GF, it’s a 16 game penalty.

Close, but the player marking the ball might not know. The only person who knows for sure is the player who touches the ball.

So bring back player integrity. If they say they touched the ball, it’s considered touched.

If a player is found guilty not touching the ball when they claimed it was touched, then they receive an automatic 4 game suspension. No tribunal, no review, no appeal. A straight up 4 game ban.

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Mate, watch this...

This amateur footage below was taken from more than 100m away. Clear as day. Shocking umpiring.

It just needed one of the 3 non-controlling umps to be standing central and they would've got the call right.
I've even heard conjecture that one of them did actually call "touched" but he went into his shell after umpire Whetton paid the mark.

Cool, so it was a clear deflection. This is then about the Umpire positioning, Why is there not one down the ground and allowing the play come to them?

Still doesn't detract from the point that Umpiring positioning costs teams each week anyway.

I broke my self-imposed ban and actually watched 360 last night because I thought they might be half a chance to show the "down the ground" footage from behind the goals.

They even showed half a second of the crucial footage from the camera behind the goals. Only problem was they deliberately snipped the bit where the ball took a huge deflection off Aish's arm. We only got to see the ball land on Cotterell's chest.

Amazing omission! They refuse to show us. They're suppressing the footage just like a Chinese news channel.
They're only showing us the side-on and close-up angles which make it look like a small umpiring error, easily missed, etc etc.

Gerard "Bootlicker" Whateley repeated Kane Cornes's obfuscations from the weekend when he said the ball flicked Aish's hair.

What a world we're living in where the AFL media sanitises a simple umpiring controversy and won't show us the really damning footage, sparing the AFL & umpires from further embarrassment.

F**k the AFL.
Have a look at on the couch then. They go into it in minute detail. They play audio of the closest umpire saying three times that he didn't call touched and they also show footage of Clark walking towards the umpire as Cottrell kicks the goal and yelling at him (must have been at the exact time that Clark claims that he swears at himself?).

Gerard Wheatley was very much of the view that freo was dudded but merely pointed out that the most incriminating footage wasn't available till the next morning. Robbo on the other hand thought that freo cost themselves and should probably stop whinging about it.

Clearly the ball was touched. Umpire didn't see it so couldn't call it. No umpire called touched as some have claimed. Clark abused the umpire. Carlton got lucky.

It'll happen against us some day. I'll complain like the rest of our supporter base at the time. I hope that none of us carry on like pork chops for the next week as if we have personally been picked on like the supporter base of freo supporters on here seem to be.

That's um um um ............captivating.

Maybe we could go back to the days when players wore caps and captains swapped theirs before the game?

Let me just think of a potential issue. Grand final is one point the difference . Player takes a mark in a pack in the square, opposition may have got the slightest touch but probably not. Umpire pays the mark. Opposition claims touched so ball is balled up and siren goes. Replays show that ball was clearly not touched. Wrong team wins the grand final.

Player that appealed gladly takes his 16 game suspension knowing that he cheated a grand final win in his last game before retiring.

Cool system

Sure there is.

The player informs the umpire their decision was wrong, and the decision is reviewed.

I’d say two calls a team could challenge every game would be enough. You’d really only want to challenge a call if it is likely to cost a goal at a critical time.
What if play is continuing?
Do they have to wait for the next stoppage that may not happen for quite a while?
Do they have to stop play?
What if play is stopped while their opponent had a clear advantage and the challenge isn't overturned? Couldn't possibly see that being abused.

Reviewing scoring plays is one thing because it happens at a natural break in play and it's still complained about non stop.
Introducing reviews mid play is far from the "easy" solution you believe it is

Have a look at on the couch then. They go into it in minute detail. They play audio of the closest umpire saying three times that he didn't call touched and they also show footage of Clark walking towards the umpire as Cottrell kicks the goal and yelling at him (must have been at the exact time that Clark claims that he swears at himself?).

Gerard Wheatley was very much of the view that freo was dudded but merely pointed out that the most incriminating footage wasn't available till the next morning. Robbo on the other hand thought that freo cost themselves and should probably stop whinging about it.

Clearly the ball was touched. Umpire didn't see it so couldn't call it. No umpire called touched as some have claimed. Clark abused the umpire. Carlton got lucky.

It'll happen against us some day. I'll complain like the rest of our supporter base at the time. I hope that none of us carry on like pork chops for the next week as if we have personally been picked on like the supporter base of freo supporters on here seem to be.
No. no. no... You don't get it. On all these fricken shows, they go into minute detail and they talk about it at length (making excuses for the umps and basically saying "Get the f**k over it. Move on"

Except they won't show the damning footage from behind the goals. WHY NOT?!?!? How many times do I need to point this out?

They have cameras behind the goals at both ends of the ground. I'd be happy for them to show either. Preferably both.

On the live telecast, they used the camera angle from behind the goals when players were milling about waiting for the ball-up. Then they cut to the regular camera angle from centre wing. They showed Cotterell kicking it through for a goal using the down-the-ground camera angle from other end of the ground

After the free kick for dissent, they showed a replay of umpire Whetton setting the mark and pointing to Matthew Kennedy, saying "Your free" while the Freo defenders were pushing Jordan Clark away from the scene.

They are deliberately sitting on the footage of the ball taking a huge ricochet off Aish's arm. They have 2 angles, but they won't show it to us. It's blatantly obvious the AFL has gone into damage control and told the Fox Footy producers not to show the most damning footage. Instead we get these side-on angles and close-ups with Whateley, Cornes, Lyon, etc, bullshitting us by saying "These things happen all the time. Umps are only human, blah blah blah..."

Gerard Whateley is being a shifty campaigner when he talks about how the "incriminating footage" was only available on the Sunday. That close-up replay from behind Hewett which he's referring to shows the ball hitting Aish's arm, but it doesn't show how much the ball looped upward and deviated to the left.

Last edited:

F**k the AFL.
Joey on First Crack went pretty hard at it, first segment on the show. Of all the talking heads drivel to watch I fail to understand how 360 is your go to 🤷‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back