Slippery ball ruins the spectacle... again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Thursday nights Swans v Melbourne opener was another big game ruined by a ball that was like a cake of soap. It was truly a terrible game to show to a massive audience on tv.

I learnt that the rugby codes changed from a leather to synthetic ball in the 80s, then on top of that, they have a wet weather ball with even more grip they use when it's raining. It appears sherrin have a wet weather ball on their website, why not use it?

Why do we allow the spectacle to disintegrate when we are trying to put on the best product possible. It's particularly noticeable in nsw and qld games, with the more humid conditions. An easy fix, use a wet weather ball.

We use a yellow ball in the night and close the roof at marvel for a better spectacle, but leave the quality of games up to which way the weather is acting on a particular day.

Anyway, I agree with Eddie McGuire on this issue.

Look how shiny this match ball is, it could be a disco ball.

20240308_182129.jpg

Last edited:

sponsor's logos making them too slick :drunk:

Yeah I heard that's an issue. Surely though they could put a rough clear paint over a set for the wet weather balls.

I learnt that the rugby codes changed from a leather to synthetic ball in the 80s, then on top of that, they have a wet weather ball with even more grip they use when it's raining. It appears sherrin have a wet weather ball on their website, why not use it?

Why do we allow the spectacle to disintegrate when we are trying to put on the best product possible. It's particularly noticeable in nsw and qld games, with the more humid conditions. An easy fix, use a wet weather ball.

We use a yellow ball in the night and close the roof at marvel for a better spectacle, but leave the quality of games up to which way the weather is acting on a particular day.

Anyway, I agree with Eddie McGuire on this issue.

Look how shiny this match ball is, it could be a disco ball.
Move the games to Melbourne, the home of football. Problem solved.

Darwin games are unwatchable for this reason

And cairns, remember the last one there, it was putrid. I remember this for me first came to mind when I went to a suns game on the gold coast in about 2012. Nobody could pick up the ball coz of the humidity (they also built the stadium right next to a creek, just do make the humidity worse). I thought here we have a new club in Queensland trying to attract new fans, playing in conditions which make the skills and quality of games look horrendous. Really the weather doesn't matter if the ball isn't a slippery cake of soap, you would barely even notice the wet, if the ball wasn't so drastically affected by it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back