Opinion Have the MCC and the AFL ruined the MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

The MCG sure is different that it used to be.
It used to be recognisable and have character.
Now it's one big concrete jungle. The upper deck is just too ridiculous to view a game from. All the old stands are gone. There's no standing room. The best views are taken by corperate boxes and media.
The whole ground has been set up to maximise advertising branding and there's not a tree or an old scoreboard in sight.

View attachment 1706487

lol wtf

you have a gripe about trees within a stadium?

What bizarre criticism.

The MCG is literally surrounded by parkland.

Yes. The MCG is the Centrepiece of AFL/Victorian Government Sporting corruption. ..... And outside its size, there's nothing particularly great about the stadium either. It's bog average TBH.
One thing that is often overlooked is that the MCG has the advantage that it isn't full of salty South Australians with giant chips on their shoulders. It saves on a lot of concrete and reinforcement.

lol wtf

you have a gripe about trees within a stadium?

What bizarre criticism.

The MCG is literally surrounded by parkland.
But the ground is all concrete and looks crap . You've missed the point. There's nothing in the ground to make it unique in any way. It's juat a boring stadium now and unpleasant to be in when it's empty.

This is really what it boils down to now. The constant assault on the fan by advertising, the loud and obnoxious music at the breaks, the embarrassing "Fan Engagement".
100 per cent. I've seen an older guy 70+ wearing industrial ear protection to bloke out the bullshit. You can't even have a conversation now without screaming. Beyond a joke

But the ground is all concrete and looks crap . You've missed the point. There's nothing in the ground to make it unique in any way. It's juat a boring stadium now and unpleasant to be in when it's empty.

nothing wrong with the MCG, sure its crap when its empty, but theres nothing like it when its full.

this is just a whinge and nothing more.

Are you bored?

Have they gotten rid of standing room? If so, that's a shame because I think it's an important part of the atmosphere. I like standing at the footy sometimes.
I stood at the Essendon v Cats game in Round 7. I could have found a seat but I rocked up last minute on my own and chose to stand in the Members. There were hundreds of people standing on the ground level concourse

nothing wrong with the MCG, sure its crap when its empty, but theres nothing like it when its full.

this is just a whinge and nothing more.

Are you bored?
They should have kept an old stand and the old scoreboard at the very least.
These aestheric qualities are lost on some people.
It could be any big stadium in the world, there's nothing in it to differentuate it.
No history left at all.

It could be any big stadium in the world, there's nothing in it to differentuate it.
No history left at all.
Have you been in the MCC Members?

No history left at all.

MCC has all the old memorabilia inside it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add some more Disney characters.
Boba Fett
I like Spiderman, can we borrow Spiderman from Marvel?
What about the Pixar characters. I remember seeing Thor when I went to Marvel, I would like to see Lightening McQueen at MCG. Maybe they could add a Piston cup outside of it?

"Not a tree in sight"

Bullshite

aerial-view-of-the-melbourne-sports-precinct-inclusing-the-mcg-in-melbourne-victoria-australia-AAEF11763.jpg

No only the priveledged go in there. I didn't go to a private school in the east of Melbourne and my Daddy is not rich or connected.
I'm referring to the aethestics of the ground and stands.

LOL

MCC isn't just for the privileged nor the rich. Its literally just a waiting list, which costs like $100 bucks to put your name down on.

I can tell you as a member, it is far from the "toffs society" you may think it is. It is full of Dero's and Bogans.

Biggest problem I have with the MCG is that half the time it's less than half full. Went to see Port play Collingwood this year and even though we got flogged, I enjoyed the atmosphere because it's the first time I've seen a game at the G with >50k. Most times Port play there it feels like being in an awkward concrete husk of a ground.

This could be remedied by ending the GF arrangement with the MCC. Apart from the fairness aspect, it would stop the need for non Vic clubs to play there 3-4 times a year just to give them a 'taste' of playing at the GF venue. Victorian clubs could go back to having proper home grounds which they would pack out against interstate teams, and just have MCG for the blockbuster matches between local sides (and all finals when the Vic side is higher ranked).

Biggest problem I have with the MCG is that half the time it's less than half full. Went to see Port play Collingwood this year and even though we got flogged, I enjoyed the atmosphere because it's the first time I've seen a game at the G with >50k. Most times Port play there it feels like being in an awkward concrete husk of a ground.

This could be remedied by ending the GF arrangement with the MCC. Apart from the fairness aspect, it would stop the need for non Vic clubs to play there 3-4 times a year just to give them a 'taste' of playing at the GF venue. Victorian clubs could go back to having proper home grounds which they would pack out against interstate teams, and just have MCG for the blockbuster matches between local sides (and all finals when the Vic side is higher ranked).

How would ending the GF arrangement with the MCC have anything to do with regular season games?

There no fairness issue about it.

People have waited 20+ years to get on the list to be an MCC member and they pay their dues for it also.

Just because someone has access to something you dont doesn't make it unfair. If you want to get into the MCC put your name down and wait for a spot like evewryone else has had to.

No only the priveledged go in there. I didn't go to a private school in the east of Melbourne and my Daddy is not rich or connected.
I'm referring to the aethestics of the ground and stands.
Only the privileged? There are well over 100,000 full and restricted members and anyone can become a member provided they wait. It's not based on income, what school you went to, who you are or what you do. I didn't go to a private school in the east of Melbourne and my father wasn't rich. Boy, you've got one giant chip on your shoulder!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back