Opinion Have the MCC and the AFL ruined the MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest problem I have with the MCG is that half the time it's less than half full. Went to see Port play Collingwood this year and even though we got flogged, I enjoyed the atmosphere because it's the first time I've seen a game at the G with >50k. Most times Port play there it feels like being in an awkward concrete husk of a ground.

This could be remedied by ending the GF arrangement with the MCC. Apart from the fairness aspect, it would stop the need for non Vic clubs to play there 3-4 times a year just to give them a 'taste' of playing at the GF venue. Victorian clubs could go back to having proper home grounds which they would pack out against interstate teams, and just have MCG for the blockbuster matches between local sides (and all finals when the Vic side is higher ranked).
Build 5 or 6 boutique stadiums to stop a big ground feeling a bit empty sometimes. Solved.

Biggest problem I have with the MCG is that half the time it's less than half full [and] it feels like being in an awkward concrete husk of a ground. This could be remedied by ending the GF arrangement with the MCC. Apart from the fairness aspect, it would stop the need for non Vic clubs to play there 3-4 times a year just to give them a 'taste' of playing at the GF venue. Victorian clubs could go back to having proper home grounds which they would pack out against interstate teams, and just have MCG for the blockbuster matches between local sides (and all finals when the Vic side is higher ranked).
Yeah well, that ain't happening. I'll say it again: That. Is. Not. Happening.
THE MCG will be the home of the Grand Final until at least 2057

That means if you're 20 now, you'll be 54 years old when the current deal expires. If you're 36 years old, you will be 70 years old when the contract runs out.

My advice to you is to accept reality and move on. Don't cry about it all your life like some other nuffies on this board.
Crybabies from Adelaide and Perth whinging on Big Footy doesn't erase 120 years of tradition.

I used to whinge about Essendon and Collingwood being gifted the Anzac Day fixture every year. That was me in 2008 whinging about a so-called "tradition" that dated back only 13 years to 1995. Our sooking fell on deaf ears. Nobody cared.

15 years later, the Anzac Day match has only become further entrenched. It is what it is...

Some things just are...

The MCG is the Home of Football and the traditional venue for our Grand Final tracing all the way back to 1902.
Every franchise who joined this league understood this and knew the score when they signed up.

But look at the bright side: at least this way, you get to make excuses when your team loses a Grand Final. :p
Nothing worse than watching your team lose a Grand Final and having to admit we weren't good enough.

Last edited:

How would ending the GF arrangement with the MCC have anything to do with regular season games?

There no fairness issue about it.

People have waited 20+ years to get on the list to be an MCC member and they pay their dues for it also.

Just because someone has access to something you dont doesn't make it unfair. If you want to get into the MCC put your name down and wait for a spot like evewryone else has had to.
lolwut I'm not talking about accessing the MCC area. I've got no interest in going there. Why would I pay to wait 20 years to then maybe watch my team 3 times a year from slightly better seats? I'm talking about going to a game and the atmosphere being s**t because 70% of the ground capacity is an empty plastic seat.

The fairness aspect was in regards to non Vic clubs having to play the GF at the MCG even if they are the higher ranked side. If you canned that, then there is no need to keep up the charade of hosting games with 20-30k attendances at a 100k stadium.

I'm aware it's not going to change. Just giving my perspective on why the MCG is in some respects ruined for me by the AFL and MCC agreement, as per the thread title.

Yes!
The gambling is the bit that annoys me. I don’t have a problem with gambling itself but I paid $100 to see a final and spent 40 minutes lined up for a drinkie at the only bar selling drinkies and the screens inside the bar weren’t even showing the game, they had horse races on instead.

Vibe was fd too, arguments everywhere with people cutting in line, punters ripping into the staff for the poor service.
All I wanted was a pepsi!!!
It's not the MCCs fault their understaffed.
Piss poor from the people ripping into the staff! Supply and demand like what did they expect!
Assuming your talking about how long it takes to get a drink ect in the Bars in the Members. Saw an article from Fox from disgruntled "Members" in regards to how much $$$ they pay they want their service for what their paying!

Last edited:
The MCG sure is different that it used to be.
It used to be recognisable and have character.
Now it's one big concrete jungle. The upper deck is just too ridiculous to view a game from. All the old stands are gone. There's no standing room. The best views are taken by corperate boxes and media.
The whole ground has been set up to maximise advertising branding and there's not a tree or an old scoreboard in sight.

View attachment 1706487

I went to the 1968 Grand Final Carlton v Essendon - i dont know the name of the stand - but we were on the very top deck ( no cover ) it was half forward flank Members side - Punt Rd End - i was only young - but we were miles in the air - up so high - the players were like ants - and we were totally exposed to the elements - wind - which there was plenty of - but no rain

I do agree your point about trees - but that is modern day architecture - knock over every tree in sight and build some Monstrosity - apart from the beauty of the trees - they are huge storers/absorbers of Carbon - if everyone planted 160 trees in their lifetime that would get rid of 10 years of Carbon emissions

It's not the MCCs fault their understaffed.
Piss poor from the people ripping into the staff! Supply and demand like what did they expect!
Assuming your talking about how long it takes to get a drink ect in the Bars in the Members. Saw an article from Fox from disgruntled "Members" in regards to how much $$$ they pay they want their service for what their paying!
This wasn't the MCC section.

Mind you, to get to this bar, I had to walk past an MCC area, which had a whole lot of staff standing around doing absolutely nothing.

How would ending the GF arrangement with the MCC have anything to do with regular season games?

You misunderstood the point.

What they were saying is that if the GF was rotated, there wouldn’t be a pressing need for interstate teams to play at the G regularly.

Which means that games against interstate sides could be moved to marvel or a 3rd boutique stadium, freeing up the G for mainly Vic derbies (instead of having big games stuck at Marvel).

Seems like a win / win to me.

Geelong is installing safe standing in the new stand. Hope the AFL/MCC takes notice.

Would be ideal for the bottom tier, especially for high capacity games (ANZAC, Finals, etc). Could be installed in full bays or just the back half behind those sitting.

Safe_standing_area_fitted_with_rail_seats.jpg
Needs more drink holders. Went to Citi Field in NYC and there is very little standing room, but where we stood, we all had a drink holder and small shelf to put food. Lovely.

Thank you for your email.

There are no planned renovations for the next few years. the community and members will be advised in due course if any renovations are to take place.

If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to reply.

People have waited 20+ years to get on the list to be an MCC member and they pay their dues for it also.

Just because someone has access to something you dont doesn't make it unfair. If you want to get into the MCC put your name down and wait for a spot like evewryone else has had to.
To be fair, I'd imagine a big chunk of MCC members had their names put down by their parents. Not that I can blame them at all, MCC membership is the biggest bargain in world sport.

Does anyone have any old photos of the old southern stand like before the great southern stand was put in.

It had intrigued me the old southern stand with its long fibro black roof and old wooden plank style seats.

Also of the the old MCC members as well.

Amazing back then like in the 1970s and 1980s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, I'd imagine a big chunk of MCC members had their names put down by their parents. Not that I can blame them at all, MCC membership is the biggest bargain in world sport.
Walk up Grand final seats for free... how good is that!

Compared to say AFL Gold members which walkups are limited. Big games no walkups at all you have to book a seat even after paying I think $595 a year. And they have to pay for Grand final tickets but those sell quickly no matter who plays.

I am an AFL member and thus have only put my kids down for that. To go onto the MCC members wait list you have to be 'nominated' by 2 other members I think.

Compared to say AFL Gold members which walkups are limited. Big games no walkups at all you have to book a seat even after paying I think $595 a year. And they have to pay for Grand final tickets but those sell quickly no matter who plays.

I am an AFL member and thus have only put my kids down for that. To go onto the MCC members wait list you have to be 'nominated' by 2 other members I think.

I got put down as a kid, and have been a restricted member for nearly 10 years. Hoping I become a full member soon. I currently get a GF ticket if the walk up interest allows room (so no chance for a Collingwood-Richmond GF, as an example), but need to pay. It's still a good deal though, when you consider all the games I can go to if I just decide on the spur of the moment.

MCC only gives you access to all games after waiting for 25 years. GF access after 31 years.

AFL members access to all games is immediate and GF access at about 13 years. (current Gold intake roughly 2010ish).

So from years 13-31, AFL membership is clearly better.

They aren’t free - an MCC full member pays an extra $175 per year compared to a restricted member, as well as an $1,100 entrance fee upon accepting full membership.

The last non-ugly stand to be demolished was back in 1966, which is 100% on the MCC feeling threatened by the VFL building their own ground.

Nevertheless, despite all the changes over the years, she still very much feels like the same old girl... just all grown up (wipes away proud Victorian tear):

mcgpastpres.jpg

But the ground is all concrete and looks crap . You've missed the point. There's nothing in the ground to make it unique in any way. It's juat a boring stadium now and unpleasant to be in when it's empty.
Richmond supporters now not turning up to games?

Must be the guest tickets..

doubt it

i have been in plenty of GF line ups and those aren't guests.

MCC is full of low ebbs of society. The idea it's a toffs society is laughable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back