Opinion Do the Brisbane Lions really have an MCG hoodoo?

Is Brisbane's MCG hoodoo real?

• Yes

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hoodoo
noun
A run of bad luck associated with a particular person, group or activity.
  • R16, 2015 - Demons (15th) def. Lions (18th) @ MCG by 24 points
  • R9, 2016 - Demons (9th) def. Lions (16th) @ MCG by 63 points
  • R14, 2016 - Tigers (13th) def. Lions (17th) @ MCG by 42 points
  • R10, 2017 - Magpies (13th) def. Lions (18th) @ MCG by 45 points
  • R22, 2017 - Demons (7th) def. Lions (18th) @ MCG by 13 points
  • R4, 2018 - Tigers (9th) def. Lions (17th) @ MCG by 93 points
  • R4, 2019 - Bombers (15th) def. Lions (2nd) @ MCG by 47 points
  • R23, 2019 - Tigers (4th) def. Lions (1st) @ MCG by 27 points
  • R1, 2020 - Hawks (9th) def. Lions (2nd) @ MCG by 28 points
  • R15, 2022 - Demons (2nd) def. Lions (1st) @ MCG by 64 points
  • R20, 2022 - Tigers (9th) def. Lions (3rd) @ MCG by 7 points
  • SF, 2022 - Lions (6th) def. Demons (2nd) @ MCG by 13 points
  • PF, 2022 - Cats (1st) def. Lions (6th) @ MCG by 71 points
  • R13, 2023 - Hawks (16th) def. Lions (4th) @ MCG by 25 points
  • R18, 2023 - Demons (4th) def. Lions (3rd) @ MCG by 1 point
  • GF, 2023 - Magpies (1st) def. Lions (2nd) @ MCG by 4 points
What do you think? Is the hoodoo real? 16 games at the MCG against six separate opponents and just one win in the last decade. It should be pointed out that Brisbane was the higher ranked team in seven of those 15 losses. 2024 marks the 10th year since this run began and the Lions are currently scheduled to play at the MCG twice this year against the Dees in round 5 and the Pies in round 23.

Yes they do tbh. They did beat the Dees from 5 goals down at half in the 2022 semi final but that's a rare one. I still believe they're a massive chance this year I think they snag a falg either this year or next. But the curse is very real the stats speak for themselves.

The Eagles had a poor record for a long while didn't they? I know when they beat us in 2018 they got Carlton and us in Round 17 or so the very same year but they struggled there for ages from what I can recall.

not sure why youre going back to 2015 when the brisbane team that exists now can largely trace its existence to the finals breakthrough of 2019 when trading in lyons / neale and since then adding core players like daniher and dunkley

as a supporter i thought we played the mcg quite wel against melbourne and collingwood and the games could have gone either way in 2023. hawks are our bogie team more than anything

its a fixturing joke that the lions have been continually denied more MCG exposure whilst being a dominant team with a substantial victorian fanbase over the last 5 years. COVID aside there really are no excuses as to why the AFL has been so reticent to give the lions more games there.

The Eagles had a poor record for a long while didn't they? I know when they beat us in 2018 they got Carlton and us in Round 17 or so the very same year but they struggled there for ages from what I can recall.
Not quite the same. The Eagles won 5 of their last 11 games at the MCG between 2013-2017 in the lead up to that breakthrough run in 2018. I'd argue 5 wins in 11 games at an interstate venue is a pretty good effort for the away team, particularly when you're travelling to Melbourne from Perth.

not sure why youre going back to 2015 when the brisbane team that exists now can largely trace its existence to the finals breakthrough of 2019 when trading in lyons / neale and since then adding core players like daniher and dunkley
If you want to look at it that way then below is their MCG record from 2019 onwards when the Lions broke through. 1 win in 10 games is still a pretty poor record, particularly when you've been a top 4 team for the majority of that period and you were the higher ranked team in 7 of those 10 games.

Hoodoo
noun
A run of bad luck associated with a particular person, group or activity.
  • R16, 2015 - Demons (15th) def. Lions (18th) @ MCG by 24 points
  • R9, 2016 - Demons (9th) def. Lions (16th) @ MCG by 63 points
  • R14, 2016 - Tigers (13th) def. Lions (17th) @ MCG by 42 points
  • R10, 2017 - Magpies (13th) def. Lions (18th) @ MCG by 45 points
  • R22, 2017 - Demons (7th) def. Lions (18th) @ MCG by 13 points
  • R4, 2018 - Tigers (9th) def. Lions (17th) @ MCG by 93 points
What do you think? Is the hoodoo real? 16 games at the MCG against six separate opponents and just one win in the last decade. It should be pointed out that Brisbane was the higher ranked team in seven of those 15 losses. 2024 marks the 10th year since this run began and the Lions are currently scheduled to play at the MCG twice this year against the Dees in round 5 and the Pies in round 23.
You must really have a massive bee in your bonnet with your big brother nemesis.

Ya stretchin it ..

They have a hoodoo until they win the flag at the MCG which could happen, I see them being up there again this year top 4 for sure.

People used to talk about the Eagles having a hoodoo at the G until they won the 2018 flag. it can happen.
I am hoping they fall away though this season. kind of sick of them being near the top & not making the most of their talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really are no excuses as to why the AFL has been so reticent to give the lions more games there.
AFL is a business. Like all businesses it needs to make $$$$.

Empty seats look bad for a televised national sport.

There's 2 excuses.

Not quite the same. The Eagles won 5 of their last 11 games at the MCG between 2013-2017 in the lead up to that breakthrough run in 2018. I'd argue 5 wins in 11 games at an interstate venue is a pretty good effort for the away team, particularly when you're travelling to Melbourne from Perth.

If you want to look at it that way then below is their MCG record from 2019 onwards when the Lions broke through. 1 win in 10 games is still a pretty poor record, particularly when you've been a top 4 team for the majority of that period and you were the higher ranked team in 7 of those 10 games.
Spot on and Spot on.

Good post Sir.

AFL is a business. Like all businesses it needs to make $$$$.

Empty seats look bad for a televised national sport.

There's 2 excuses.
incredible insights

the afl is already very profitable and i dont see how brisbane playing more MCG games than marvel ones would impact their finances. considering carlton v brisbane and collingwood v brisbane both at docklands in 2024 were sellouts i daresay more could have been gained by having at least those two games in particular at the mcg

that would also go a good way to making your second point redundant which to be frank is just a stupid one to begin with. if that was a basis for mcg access melbourne would have been sent to docklands years ago and been replaced as a tenant by essendon.

ive seen your other posts on this forum and i guarantee whatever else you say wont be worth my time, so dont bother replying further

Playing well means nothing. All that matters is winning. And they haven't been able to do that at The G bar one time.

Perfectly valid question and it stands. There's a massive Hex on The Lions at The G and they need to win the Prem. Simple as that.

incredible insights

the afl is already very profitable and i dont see how brisbane playing more MCG games than marvel ones would impact their finances. considering carlton v brisbane and collingwood v brisbane both at docklands in 2024 were sellouts i daresay more could have been gained by having at least those two games in particular at the mcg

that would also go a good way to making your second point redundant which to be frank is just a stupid one to begin with. if that was a basis for mcg access melbourne would have been sent to docklands years ago and been replaced as a tenant by essendon.

ive seen your other posts on this forum and i guarantee whatever else you say wont be worth my time, so dont bother replying further
Terrible insights. What's the capacity of docklands compared to the G again? Can you remind me??

Aha! That would be why they will schedule Lions games at Docklands wouldn't it!...You've just nicely argued my points...

The AFL likes big crowds at the G and will schedule whatever game it thinks will give it the least amount of empty seats.

Melbourne pull in big crowds at the G mate! Surprised you don't realise.

And finally...
Bombers play their big home games at the G. They play their low crowd games, like against Brisbane, at Docklands yeah 👍. Can you figure out why yet?

incredible insights

And the other obvious reason why the AFL schedules games in order to maximise crowd numbers and minimise empty seats is to look after us the fans.

So that as many of us fans who want to go to a live game, can go to a live game.

That, and to minimise the number of games where the atmosphere and experience is diminished by having half the stadium empty.

Back