Collingwood v Brisbane - Move to the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically, their two games at Marvel should be against GWS and Gold Coast. Even if one of those teams were traveling as well as the Lions (which of course actually have a supporter base down here), we wouldn’t be having a discussion about moving the game to the MCG?
IF we have to play at all there, then yes. Geelong should play all of their home games at Kardinia, Richmond and Collingwood should play all of theirs at the MCG.
BUT
The AFL has the idea that all teams should get at least a game of two at the MCG to prepare them for potential finals and the only times GWS and Gold Coast won't face an embarrasingly low crowd against a Melbourne team is against one of Richmond or Collingwood.

The AFL has the idea that all teams should get at least a game of two at the MCG to prepare them for potential finals and the only times GWS and Gold Coast won't face an embarrasingly low crowd against a Melbourne team is against one of Richmond or Collingwood.
That's only a consideration because the VFL are bent on having the Grand Final at the MCG every year if possible. If they dropped their Victorian favouritism and shared the GF around between the MCG, Perth Stadium, Adelaide Oval, Homebush and a rebuilt Gabba, it wouldn't be an issue. Since I doubt the VFL will ever institute true equality, maybe they could have a six-year cycle where the MCG gets the GF every three years and the other four cities get a go in between.

That's only a consideration because the VFL are bent on having the Grand Final at the MCG every year if possible. If they dropped their Victorian favouritism and shared the GF around between the MCG, Perth Stadium, Adelaide Oval, Homebush and a rebuilt Gabba, it wouldn't be an issue. Since I doubt the VFL will ever institute true equality, maybe they could have a six-year cycle where the MCG gets the GF every three years and the other four cities get a go in between.
Why don't we institute true equality also and stop subsidising clubs that aren't financially viable? Or do you only want the parts that are convenient for you? Let's see what happens if the AFL gives Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast and Freo the same percentage of financial support they give to financial drains like Brisbane. Happy to play the Grand Final every year on a rotation basis if you're happy to commit to no additional funding also.

Why don't we institute true equality also and stop subsidising clubs that aren't financially viable?
Because that's not equality.

Or do you only want the parts that are convenient for you? Let's see what happens if the AFL gives Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast and Freo the same percentage of financial support they give to financial drains like Brisbane.
If you're happy to just play against the same four sides every year, good for you I guess.

Happy to play the Grand Final every year on a rotation basis if you're happy to commit to no additional funding also.
Mate, you're a nobody posting on Bigfooty. I don't care what you're happy with, you don't make decisions for the AFL.

I’ve never heard of there being a contract with Marvel. I thought Collingwood wanted all their home games at the G. Can you provide a link to a reference to this contract?
Its not actually a contract....it's a vibe, yeah, its a vibe

Collingwood has to host at least 1 home game at Marvel i believe so could only do this if they swapped it for another game? This weeks game would actually be the best one to swap but GWS wouldn't like it and it's too late anyway
They're already playing another home game there against North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they dropped their Victorian favouritism and shared the GF around between the MCG, Perth Stadium, Adelaide Oval, Homebush and a rebuilt Gabba, it wouldn't be an issue.
It’s expensive for interstate supporters but the G fits a lot of people in. Once you factor in corporates, club tickets, afl members etc. not many regular supporters are getting into Adelaide oval for a grand final, tickets on the secondhand market would be outrageous.

That article is from 14 years ago!

It's not, because it dosen't make any sense. Collingwood and Hawthorn did not play at the Telstra dome in 2009, it wasn't called Telstra Dome in 2009, they haven't played in March at the dome ever, and haven't played a game against each other at the dome since 2007.

That's strange given it's North's actual home ground
Yep. We always seem to get one home game at the home ground of one of the Docklands tenants and the other against an interstate team. Last year we played at “home” against the Dogs.

It’s stupid, just like how the Cats being forced to play us at the G is. Let everyone play at their own home ground every week.

It's not, because it dosen't make any sense. Collingwood and Hawthorn did not play at the Telstra dome in 2009, it wasn't called Telstra Dome in 2009, they haven't played in March at the dome ever, and haven't played a game against each other at the dome since 2007.
The article was dated 2009 but it seems you’re right. I think the game being referred to is Round 13, 2007 as they played at Telstra Dome and the crowd is listed as just over 50,000.

So it’s actually 16 years ago that there was allegedly a contract for Pies to play there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back