Collingwood v Brisbane - Move to the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s expensive for interstate supporters but the G fits a lot of people in. Once you factor in corporates, club tickets, afl members etc. not many regular supporters are getting into Adelaide oval for a grand final, tickets on the secondhand market would be outrageous.
Perhaps the powers that be shouldn't be so money-grubbing and prioritise fans ahead of corporates. But that'll never happen.

Makes little difference to me personally, since I always watch the GF on TV, but I'd like my club to have some level of familiarity with the ground should they play in a GF. Granted, that's harder with Homebush since so few regular season games are held there, but the SCG isn't going to host a GF.

Collingwood put in a request to move the Lions game to the MCG. The AFL rejected it.

What a joke the AFL is. They are giving up the chance to break the record attendance for a match involving an interstate club for the sake of what exactly? Carlton is fine with the other game being swapped, Brisbane will definitely prefer more practice at the MCG and 40k more fans potentially can attend. For the sake of a contract between the AFL and the owners of Marvel Stadium (which is the AFL).

Tell the other Victorian teams to stop putting in a request every year for home games against Collingwood to get our revenue from our fans if you don’t like it. It’s not an initiative from Collingwood.
Collingwood are contracted for 14 games at the MCG (9 home and 5 away) plus 2 home games at Marvel.

It's your own stupid contracts that do it. That leaves 6 away games combined for Geelong/Marvel/Interstate games which is why you never come down here and why you barely leave the state. Absolute farce you can be contracted for away games.

What a joke the AFL is
Again, it's your own fault. Get rid of your restrictive contracts and play 11 home games at the G and 11 games wherever the AFL wants to send you. Right now you're getting a pretty good deal with 14 guaranteed games at the G.

Collingwood are contracted for 14 games at the MCG (9 home and 5 away) plus 2 home games at Marvel.

It's your own stupid contracts that do it. That leaves 6 away games combined for Geelong/Marvel/Interstate games which is why you never come down here and why you barely leave the state. Absolute farce you can be contracted for away games.

Again, it's your own fault. Get rid of your restrictive contracts and play 11 home games at the G and 11 games wherever the AFL wants to send you. Right now you're getting a pretty good deal with 14 guaranteed games at the G.

100%. No team should be contracted to play more than 11 home games at any ground - let alone 14 at their primary home ground.

We are meant to have a national competition, when a team can say they have a contract to play 14 games at one ground and then 2 at another - and both of those grounds are their grounds - that really doesn't sit well. Imagine have 16/22 games on your home deck (home/away fan balances aside)

100%. No team should be contracted to play more than 11 home games at any ground - let alone 14 at their primary home ground.

We are meant to have a national competition, when a team can say they have a contract to play 14 games at one ground and then 2 at another - and both of those grounds are their grounds - that really doesn't sit well. Imagine have 16/22 games on your home deck (home/away fan balances aside)
If the fixture were completely fair and random, Collingwood would have 16.2 games a year at the MCG/Marvel (the same number for any Melbourne-based team).

I can guarantee you Collingwood does not want to host Marvel tenants at Marvel like they currently do.

I’ve never heard of Pies having a contract for their away games. Feel free to show me some evidence of that but I don’t believe it’s the case.

Why is anyone surprised at this? Carlton play Port at marvel immediately after the Coll vs freo game. They would have to agree to shift their game for it to go ahead.

This makes no sense to me. Collingwoods home ground is the MCG. It isn't Marvel.

They should never play home games at Marvel. Likewise Bulldogs Kangas Saints home ground is Marvel and they should never play home games at the MCG.

I see it has
MCG Home Ground
Collingwood
Melbourne
Richmond
Carlton

Marvel
Bulldogs
Saints
Kangas

Geelong should be Kardina only.

The exception is Hawks and Essendon who mix it up between the two.

This makes no sense to me. Collingwoods home ground is the MCG. It isn't Marvel.

They should never play home games at Marvel. Likewise Bulldogs Kangas Saints home ground is Marvel and they should never play home games at the MCG.

I see it has
MCG Home Ground
Collingwood
Melbourne
Richmond
Carlton

Marvel
Bulldogs
Saints
Kangas

Agreed. Geelong shouldn’t be forced to play any home and away games anywhere but Kardinia, even if Collingwood don’t like it and Collingwood and Richmond should be able to play all their home games at the G. I don’t care what Docklands tenants want to do in games against the Pies but it does seem like some of them are further compromising fixture integrity by playing home games against Collingwood and Richmond at the MCG to get extra gate revenue.

This game has been played at Docklands/Marvel the past few years and therefore is now an established tradition. And as we know, tradition trumps common sense or fairness.

Sorry, it's just the way it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the fixture were completely fair and random, Collingwood would have 16.2 games a year at the MCG/Marvel (the same number for any Melbourne-based team).

I can guarantee you Collingwood does not want to host Marvel tenants at Marvel like they currently do.
If it was fair you get 16.2 home games a year? Are you sure?

Except Hawthorn were smart, to avoid playing additional home games at Marvel, they managed to get out of it and get cash on top as well, courtesy of those games in Launceston.

Could argue that the Hawthorn and NM deals for games in Tasmania caused the number of Marvel games to drop below what the AFL needed at the time (when they didn’t own it) for a minimum number of Marvel games per year, hence other clubs, Richmond, Collingwood etc had to make up the short fall by playing a home game or two there.

I see it has
MCG Home Ground
Collingwood
Melbourne
Richmond
Carlton

Marvel
Bulldogs
Saints
Kangas

Hawthorn doesn't have docklands as a home ground. We are forced to play games there

Carlton has docklands as a home ground, but afl gives them games at the g

Carlton and Essendon are basically being forced to stay at Docklands by the AFL beyond our current deals. We might get one extra home game at the G per year if we are lucky.

Boo-hoo Collingwood can't move a game to a venue where they already play 16 times a year.

Carlton and Essendon are basically being forced to stay at Docklands by the AFL beyond our current deals. We might get one extra home game at the G per year if we are lucky.

Boo-hoo Collingwood can't move a game to a venue where they already play 16 times a year.
Good post.

Although opposition (Collingwood fans) may rightly argue Carlton / Essendon can’t complain as they chose to play there.

Reality is, once these clubs current agreements expire, they have as much right as any club to play for home games at the MCG if their requests can be accommodated.

Melbourne based clubs all carry a bit of the loss ensuring Marvel delivers commercially for the AFL. It’s in all clubs interests to ensure its success. And that includes Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back