How have the Swans continually escaped critique and criticism for their lack of success in the VFL/AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, but 4 premierships from their last 6 grand finals has steadied the ship. The conclusions of '89 through '95 were brutal, although each time they simply lost to a better side who would defeat most.
geelong had a barren period Between the 1967 grand final until the 1989 grand final.

So between 1968-1988, Cats didnt play in a grand final and rarely made finals.

Since about 95 we've been pretty competitive with 2 flags, 6 GFs and making finals most years. Prior to that we copped plenty.

Would seem kinda weird for everyone to start shitting on us just because we were s**t for so long before that.
This. I remember the Swans copping heaps in that period where Bucky was coach right before Barassi was parachuted in. Probably the start of the period where the AFL interfered with teams to make them competitive - like helping get Plugger up there etc.

They’re nobody’s rivals so people really don’t care enough to give them s**t. They’re just up there on their own.

They have plenty of Melbourne supporters but why would you give them s**t, they lost their footy club.
0 wins 3 losses in finals against GWS

Not suggesting that anyone should start shitting on your club. The Swan's last 20 years has been magnificent.

Just that from my impression at least, their lack of success/GF wins (over their history) is rarely ever brought up for some reason, compared to say St Kilda/Collingwood etc., which we never hear the end of.
I suppose it is because St Kilda (and in modern AFL the Dockers) have been so bad, there isn't really the need to crap over another club. As far as grand finals in modern memory (AFL era) they are 2 from 7 - not great but 7 GF in 32 years is above the average

Didn't Geelong have a heap of failures.
They abolutely did, as mentioned in the original post, and that's kinda my point.

We were brutallised by the media and footy fans alike until we finally broke through in '07.

We were labelled soft, chokers, mentally weak, selfish etc. etc.

For some reason, teams like Collingwood, St Kilda and Geelong, just seem to get whacked far harder for their failures over their history than others (particualry the Swans). Although, I am finding that more than a few beg to differ on this.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others have pointed out, the Swans copped their fair share of opprobrium pre-1996.

Now the critique is that the Swans have structural advantages that make them too successful.

How are they meant to win exactly?

Glad I was born when I was, then. The best time to be born as a Freo supporter is probably right now.
I will I am Born in the 1980s....

But I have been a Freo supporter since late 2001- early 2002.

I say the best time to be Born a freo supporter would be between 1995-2005. At least if you are aged 10-15 years old, you at least saw the 2010 and 2012-15 finals years.

As others have pointed out, the Swans copped their fair share of opprobrium pre-1996.

Now the critique is that the Swans have structural advantages that make them too successful.

How are they meant to win exactly?

No offence mate but given that Hawthorn's success a decade or so ago was built upon priority picks and new free agency rules I would not be throwing stones too far.

No offence mate but given that Hawthorn's success a decade or so ago was built upon priority picks and new free agency rules I would not be throwing stones too far.
neither of those were hawthorn specific though
(and I would argue we lost more than gained out of free agency - look at the largesse given to Melbourne and now Kangaroos for example cf what we got for Buddy whose contract still was larger than anyone since - despite the so called "power to amend anomalous compensation")
though I do remember Buddy's contract being publicised, why has McKay's not been made public?

Maybe I’m going mad but I read what Caligo said as defending us in the face of criticism about our structural advantages, not throwing stones? Damned if we do, damned if we don’t is what I took from the post.

Yes upon rereading I think you are right. I apologise to Caligo.
I was worried when I wrote it that it was too ambiguous. To be clear I am arguing that people just want to whine about your club and will do it regardless of circumstances.

Last edited:
0 wins 3 losses in finals against GWS
Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back