How have the Swans continually escaped critique and criticism for their lack of success in the VFL/AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think South Melbourne were harshly criticised for their lack of success in the past (I began going to the footy in the late 1970's and they were not respected then), and despite Fitzroy being more of a basket case it was the Swans who were the first to be ripped out by the roots and sent to Sydney (remember most clubs are just a bad year or two away from a crisis like that).

Once in Sydney they have been repeatedly lambasted for perceived VFL/AFL assistance, at least by Vics (like me). Everything from rumours and conspiracy theories ("the umps", players being "sent north") to actual assistance like academies and the infamous COLA.

The media seemed to be part of this, pumping up "Bloods Culture" (with exponents like Barry Hall and Buddy Franklin, give me a break) and endlessly bragging how brilliant Roos and Longmire are as coaches (one flag each, and one of those deeply dubious).

My feeling is the League has consciously favoured the Swans for decades in the hope of creating success to spread popularity (I think 2005 was a League Flag for expansion purposes), and the media helped butter that **** sandwich we were expected to swallow. However its quite possible to assert league tampering did more harm than good, did it make up for #VICBIAS? Not sure. Brisbane with less interference has won more flags on the same period. Port with zero help or interference won one too.

I've heard plenty of criticism from ordinary people outside the media of the Sydney joke especially in the rancid Barry Hall era, so they didn't escape scrutiny.

I think that period is past now. Since the Giants came in Sydney gets less visible assistance and maybe is back in the pack with the SA, WA and QLD clubs, penalised for not being a Vic side. I think they are rated as a well run club (at last) with a good list and coaching panel.

Last edited:
I think South Melbourne were harshly criticised for their lack of success in the past (I began going to the footy in the late 1970's and they were not respected then), and despite Fitzroy being more of a basket case it was the Swans who were the first to be ripped out by the roots and sent to Sydney (remember most clubs are just a bad year or two away from a crisis like that).

Once in Sydney they have been repeatedly lambasted for perceived VFL/AFL assistance, at least by Vics (like me). Everything from rumours and conspiracy theories ("the umps", players being "sent north") to actual assistance like academies and the infamous COLA.

The media seemed to be part of this, pumping up "Bloods Culture" (with exponents like Barry Hall and Buddy Franklin, give me a break) and endlessly bragging how brilliant Roos and Longmire are as coaches (one flag each, and one of those deeply dubious).

My feeling is the League has consciously favoured the Swans for decades in the hope of creating success to spread popularity (I think 2005 was a League Flag for expansion purposes), and the media helped butter that **** sandwich we were expected to swallow. However its quite possible to assert league tampering did more harm than good, did it make up for #VICBIAS? Not sure. Brisbane with less interference has won more flags on the same period. Port with zero help or interference won one too.

I've heard plenty of criticism from ordinary people outside the media of the Sydney joke especially in the rancid Barry Hall era, so they didn't escape scrutiny.

I think that period is past now. Since the Giants came in Sydney gets less visible assistance and maybe is back in the pack with the SA, WA and QLD clubs, penalised for not being a Vic side. I think they are rated as a well run club (at last) with a good list and coaching panel.
You sir are a complete clown, time to put away that crack pipe and head to rehab x

Remove this Banner Ad

Back