Sydney and Port Adelaide being AFL controlled is why their coaches escape media scrutiny

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the funding for Adelaide to buy the AFL license ($11.3M) off of the SANFL came in the form of a loan from the AFL.

The club won't automatically become member controlled in 2028, there are certain conditions that were put in place by the AFL that have to be met.

So it appears Adelaide had to pay for their AFL licence twice also? As in payout the SANFL sub licence then pay for the stand alone AFL licence. Also the profits the club has made over the years couldn't eliminate the debt?

So it appears Adelaide had to pay for their AFL licence twice also? As in payout the SANFL sub licence then pay for the stand alone AFL licence. Also the profits the club has made over the years couldn't eliminate the debt?
Paying off the loan from the AFL is 1 of the conditions of transitioning to a member elected board.

Adelaide had just spent $20M on upgrading their facilities at Football Park.

The AFL also provided the funding for PA to buy their license from the SANFL.

Paying off the loan from the AFL is 1 of the conditions of transitioning to a member elected board.

Adelaide had just spent $20M on upgrading their facilities at Football Park.

The AFL also provided the funding for PA to buy their license from the SANFL.

I am curious about how and whether Adelaide will regain control over its own destiny. Sydney's Constitution also envisages control being handed back over to the membership but there is no date fixed and it's not going to happen for the foreseeable future. I asked about this at a recent board meeting and Chairman said basically it seems all to be going ok so why would the AFL hand control back over to the membership? Fair point. Why would they? Nothing in it for them. So I'm curious whether they'll be able to get out of it with AFC too.

As far as this thread's topic goes, I mostly don't agree with the thread starter but there's something in it. I can imagine the AFL mostly wants to see sustained success (measured in making finals not flags) for interstate teams because that's what will grow the audience and the profits the most. I think the reasons the coaches haven't come under more heat is because the teams have been successful (measured by finals or win-loss) not because the AFL is directing the media accordingly. The only reason Chris Scott maybe came under more pressure before winning last year than John Longmire is because Sydney went through a mini-rebuild on the run whereas the Cats more topped up with players and went full tilt at the flag without delivering until 11 years had passed.

I don't think there has really been much heat on Chris Scott or Horse because they are both premiership winning coaches in charge of teams that continue to be successful.

Funny thread

Longmire has won silverware (2012)
Has also been to 3 further GF's (although the team s**t the bed in 2 of those (2014,2022), which must at least partially reflect on him and the teams preparations).

Reckon taking highly different teams to multiple grand finals shows he's a fairly reasonable coach?

4 grand finals and a flag is nothing

ken holds the WORLD RECORD for most games coached at one club without making a grand final!

in fact, even if you include guys who got multiple cracks at it for several clubs, he's only got bill stephen ahead of him, who he'll chase down by the time his contract is up!

absolute legend!

4 grand finals and a flag is nothing

ken holds the WORLD RECORD for most games coached at one club without making a grand final!

in fact, even if you include guys who got multiple cracks at it for several clubs, he's only got bill stephen ahead of him, who he'll chase down by the time his contract is up!

absolute legend!
"it's a tough competition, and someone's got to lose"

as I've said, show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser

I am curious about how and whether Adelaide will regain control over its own destiny. Sydney's Constitution also envisages control being handed back over to the membership but there is no date fixed and it's not going to happen for the foreseeable future. I asked about this at a recent board meeting and Chairman said basically it seems all to be going ok so why would the AFL hand control back over to the membership? Fair point. Why would they? Nothing in it for them. So I'm curious whether they'll be able to get out of it with AFC too.
It is written into Adelaides constitution. In fact a specific date is given. Off of the top of my head I think it is 28th October 2028.

After the 2019 review, which saw massive changes to Adelaide's football department, there were other changes happening in the background. The Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the board resigned as did the CEO among others.

Around this time the new Chairman undertook quite extensive feedback from the membership base and confirmed that the clubs goal was to be become a member controlled club.

There are some conditions to becoming member controlled including paying back the $11.3M loan. But also being stable and financially viable.

Adelaide is not a financial powerhouse like West Coast or Collingwood, but the club is in the top 4-6 financially. Adelaide was amongst a group of 5 (I believe?) clubs that chose to take no extra funding from the AFL to stay solvent during the Covid period. The club instead chose to source extra operating funding externally. I believe the reason for doing this is aligned with the clubs desire to become totally independent from AFL interference.

Last edited:
Amazingly it has been largely overlooked that Port failed to get the same clause inserted into their own constitution.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's interesting to imagine what it would be like if the comp was decided the way it is in the world game (soccer) - with the minor premier as the champs (I know, fixturing, but forget about that for a sec).

Scott would still have two premierships, with four runners up.
Longmire would have two, but no runners up.
Hinkley would have one, plus one runner up.

Instead it's:

Scott: two premierships, one runners up.
Longmire: one premiership, three runners up.
Hinkley: no premiership, no runners up.

In other words under the other system Hinkley wouldn't be far behind Longmire, and Longmire wouldn't be rated any higher than Scott unless you took into account coming close a bunch of times.

There's probably not that much between them, other than how their team performed on the last day of their season in any given year. I realise that's essentially what we mark coaches on rather than having them thereabouts with a shot at winning it. But that is a fairly harsh way to draw an assessment - that one off match where players either perform or they don't (and opposition quality/performance on the day can vary massively).

Funny thread

Has also been to 3 further GF's (although the team s**t the bed in 2 of those (2014,2022), which must at least partially reflect on him and the teams preparations).

Reckon taking highly different teams to multiple grand finals shows he's a fairly reasonable coach?
Maybe, but it is just that 2012 flag that saves him if you mark him under Hinkley criteria. Similar for Scott before 2022.

All that matters in finals choking terms is: the team that knocked you out, relative to expectations heading into the match. Could be an EF, could be a GF. Failing in the GF as favourites isn't really a bigger achievement than failing a week before.

Sydney under Longmire lost grand finals twice as warm favourites - one against an excellent side ($1.60 Sydney favourites vs Hawthorn), one against an okay side ($1.60 favourites vs Bulldogs). Then of course losing one as underdogs (not a choke).

Hinkley lost preliminary finals once as warm favourites against an okay side ($1.45 favourites vs Bulldogs), and once when it was almost even money against an excellent side ($1.80 Port, $1.90 Richmond). Then like Longmire, one as underdogs (vs Hawthorn) but the difference is, they almost caused the upset. Their odds for winning the flag at those points? Obviously considerably worse than that - on GF day they would've been marginal favourites vs Geelong, sizeable underdogs vs Melbourne.

So after 2012 it's actually Longmire who blew the biggest chances without reward.

It might have more to do with Sydney making finals 12/14 years with Longmire as coach including winning a flag and Port finishing top 4 in 3 of the last 4 seasons.
Hinkley was never criticized before even making the top 4 for the first time in 2020, when his record in his first 7 seasons was only 3 finals appearances (making only 1 in 4 years) no top 4 or GF appearance. Definitely some strange protection from the media.

Hinkley was never criticized before even making the top 4 for the first time in 2020, when his record in his first 7 seasons was only 3 finals appearances (making only 1 in 4 years) no top 4 or GF appearance. Definitely some strange protection from the media.
And this from a club that 3 times in its history moved club legends out of coaching in Geof Motley, Russell Ebert and John Cahill in such a ruthless fashion that all 3 were estranged from the club for a period of time.

It's not just about winning premierships, it's the single mindedness to do everything possible even if you fall short.

We used to stand for something... Now we only stand for the national anthem. Not enough spine to stand any longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s**t I forgot 2016..... when the AFL went full WWE. But yes further confirms that Hinkley and Longmire shouldn't be in the same conversation.
Runner up was the right result, it's just the opponent that was wrong. The WWE began in the prelims, and GWS had our measure.

Sidenote: it turns out Bulldogs have a history in WWE: see below (even the colours are right).

TELEMMGLPICT000307201578_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpeg

Last edited:
could actually say the same thing about Ken Hinkley to be fair.
Ken Hinkley has a better win percentage than Alastair Clarkson, Damien Hardwick and Mark Williams.
This shows how good Ken is because he never bottoms out, unlike the trio of coaches who have all coached their sides to bottom 4 finishes.

Funny thread

I Feel like he needs to win one more flag as coach of the Swans to ensure his legacy was a truly successful one imo.

Ken Hinkley has a better win percentage than Alastair Clarkson, Damien Hardwick and Mark Williams.
This shows how good Ken is because he never bottoms out, unlike the trio of coaches who have all coached their sides to bottom 4 finishes.
Ken Hinkley has a better win percentage than my man Ross Lyon.

my cats mates like The 747 , Gavin Excell and JackFlash can look this up.

Not suprising. Port got 17 wins and 6 losses in the 2023 regular season. Yes they lost 2 finals. But 17 wins and 8 losses in 25 games is very good.

It's interesting to imagine what it would be like if the comp was decided the way it is in the world game (soccer) - with the minor premier as the champs (I know, fixturing, but forget about that for a sec).

Scott would still have two premierships, with four runners up.
Longmire would have two, but no runners up.
Hinkley would have one, plus one runner up.

Instead it's:

Scott: two premierships, one runners up.
Longmire: one premiership, three runners up.
Hinkley: no premiership, no runners up.

In other words under the other system Hinkley wouldn't be far behind Longmire, and Longmire wouldn't be rated any higher than Scott unless you took into account coming close a bunch of times.

There's probably not that much between them, other than how their team performed on the last day of their season in any given year. I realise that's essentially what we mark coaches on rather than having them thereabouts with a shot at winning it. But that is a fairly harsh way to draw an assessment - that one off match where players either perform or they don't (and opposition quality/performance on the day can vary massively).
If that is the case, Ross Lyon would have a flag at freo in 2015.

my cats mates like The 747 , Gavin Excell and JackFlash can look this up.

Not suprising. Port got 17 wins and 6 losses in the 2023 regular season. Yes they lost 2 finals. But 17 wins and 8 losses in 25 games is very good.
I like Kenny, but i am biased

OIP.CgrkOXbJsQ92haJCsKkUFAAAAA

I like Kenny, but i am biased
of course you are. He used to play for your mob back in the day.

I think he is a solid coach. People are focused in winning the flags. Fair enough.

But you gotta be in a position to make finals, Ken Hinkley can do that.

You also need to be in a position to make finals but to win finals too, Ken Hinkley can do that

of course you are. He used to play for your mob back in the day.

I think he is a solid coach. People are focused in winning the flags. Fair enough.

But you gotta be in a position to make finals, Ken Hinkley can do that.

You also need to be in a position to make finals but to win finals too, Ken Hinkley can do that
2-time All Australian, 1992 B & F winner and assistant coach in two Geelong Flags 2007 and 2009. I wouldn't have minded him getting the top job at the Cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back