Sydney and Port Adelaide being AFL controlled is why their coaches escape media scrutiny

Remove this Banner Ad

OIP.CgrkOXbJsQ92haJCsKkUFAAAAA
1701518770175.png

Should I even ask?

The interest here to me is the AFL controlled teams. Do you reckon the AFL would prefer more or fewer teams under the Swans/Port model?

I don't trust powerbrokers at the best of times, let alone AFL powerbrokers.

So I'm curious to watch how the Crows plays out. I hope my Crow brethren are vigilant come 2028 to prevent an extension of the status quo under the justification of "stability". As we saw in the recent Hawthorn board elections, when the voting members were provided an option and took it, suddenly a few folks demonstrate that they're not nearly as big a fans of democracy as they liked to say.

To quote the esteemed philosopher William Frederick Burr: "Power is only taken, never given."

Good luck Crows members!

Most stable clubs in relation to?
Sydney have had four coaches since becoming AFL controlled.
Barassi, Eade, Roos, Longmire.

Port have had one coach since becoming AFL controlled.
Hinkley.

People credit Barassi for helping save Sydney as they were a complete shambles when he arrived, and rightly so.
I think Hinkley deserves credit for helping save Port as they were a complete shambles when he arrived.

4 grand finals and a flag is nothing

ken holds the WORLD RECORD for most games coached at one club without making a grand final!

in fact, even if you include guys who got multiple cracks at it for several clubs, he's only got bill stephen ahead of him, who he'll chase down by the time his contract is up!

absolute legend!
would you sign Ross Lyon to one season? Just for your mob to play dour low scoring footy?

You get to make a grand final though.

Ken Hinkley has a better win percentage than my man Ross Lyon.

my cats mates like The 747 , Gavin Excell and JackFlash can look this up.

Not suprising. Port got 17 wins and 6 losses in the 2023 regular season. Yes they lost 2 finals. But 17 wins and 8 losses in 25 games is very good.
It took him 8 seasons to even get Port into the top 4, and he still hasn't made a grand final as a coach, whereas Ross Lyon has coached 4 grand finals. Hinkley is definitely one of the worst coaches, there's 10 current coaches in the AFL that surpass him with grand final appearances, done in much less time, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hinkley.

People credit Barassi for helping save Sydney as they were a complete shambles when he arrived, and rightly so.
I think Hinkley deserves credit for helping save Port as they were a complete shambles when he arrived.

yeah port supporters forget how bad the club was before he came in. I get he hasnt won much but his tenor was built from a rubble of a club, we got no priority picks, draft concessions, bottomed out when GWS/GC took all the picks in the draft. Could have been alot worst if we turned over coaches like other clubs have in the past.

yeah port supporters forget how bad the club was before he came in. I get he hasnt won much but his tenor was built from a rubble of a club, we got no priority picks, draft concessions, bottomed out when GWS/GC took all the picks in the draft. Could have been alot worst if we turned over coaches like other clubs have in the past.
Actually things were on the up in 2012, the year before the AFL stepped in.

The Adelaide Oval move was already underway, Hinkley has just benefitted from far more support that his predecessor Matthew Primus got. Primus has Laidley as a senior assistant coach, working over Skype from Melbourne.

Out of the five clubs under AFL control the most interesting cases are those of Sydney and Port.
Crows are AFL controlled but will become member controlled from 2028 onwards.
GC and GWS are AFL controlled which is self explanatory given they're new franchises, but they both have KPIs required to be met before becoming member controlled.

Sydney and Port are interesting cases because not only are they set to remain AFL controlled indefinitely, they were both different clubs in the past being SMFC and Port Magpies respectively.
Both clubs seem to always be too good to bottom out while not being good enough to become a force. This has been the case for both clubs ever since being under AFL control and there is no doubt this is by design.

Longmire and Hinkley always seem to escape media scrutiny despite both being in their 11th season as coach of their club without any silverware to show. It's not a coincidence the two coaches who happen to coach AFL controlled clubs Sydney and Port escape media scrutiny, because the media is controlled by the AFL and the AFL want to do whatever it takes to maintain stability at these clubs.

Prior to Longmire and Hinkley, no one had coached for 11 consecutive seasons at one club without any silverware to show and before anyone points out Longmire coaching Sydney to a premiership in 2012, I'm specifically referring to 2013-2023 and I'm aware of Hinkley coaching Bell Park to a premiership in 2003 as well. The point is Longmire and Hinkley have both been coaching for 11 consecutive seasons without winning any silverware in that time yet receive very little media scrutiny.
Compare this to the heat Chris Scott was under after coaching us for 10 consecutive seasons without winning any silverware, it's chalk and cheese.

Longmire and Hinkley are contracted until 2025 and both will remain safe as long as their sides make finals, because there is a clause stating if the side make finals in the year the contract expires, the contract must be renewed. This is why David Koch specifically stated many times they'd wait until August to discuss Hinkley's contract as that's when it's clear as to whether or not teams will be playing in finals.

I know many people amongst neutrals along with supporters of Sydney and Port often wonder why Longmire and Hinkley escape media scrutiny and the answer to this is simple, it all comes down to Sydney and Port being AFL controlled.
Take off ya tin foil hat ya clown

Hinkley.

I have to agree on both accounts.

Barrasi at the swans was dire. But at least there was improvement when he became swans coach.

I won't say Ken Hinkley saved port Adelaide on his own, he had other people help him

Melbourne and Richmond were worse off during that period, they ended up winning premierships later though unlike Port.

Hinkley.

The myth of Hinkley saved Port is a load of stale jism sitting in your hand.

Financially turning Port around was due to a few things

1. Escaping SANFL control
2. Adelaide Oval move
3. China experiment and increased sponsorship
4. Increased membership due to Adelaide Oval and better results retaining Boak and a bunch of other things

Port was massively underfunded through to about the time Hinkley started.

By 2014 we were looking pretty good off field but with a fair bit of debt.

This topic reaches deep into the garbage heap of the stupidity factory

Hinkley.

This is absolute media tripe that has been spread from people who don’t understand ports list position when Hinkley came in and what was happening off field.

He didn’t save port. He got on board at the right time and has been riding that wave for over a decade now.

Hinkley.

Let's say you're right, and Hinkley is the Barassi equivalent (he isn't but let's say he is). If Barassi coached for as long as Donuts Hinkley did he would be coaching Sydney in the 2004 season, and contracted for the 2005 season. No Eade, no Roos. This Barassi doesn't make the 1996 grand final. Is a 12-years-in Barassi winning the 2005 premiership?

After Geelong had their lowest ever finish they brought in Bomber Thompson, won 2 premierships, and still felt comfortable moving him on after 11 years. Taper are you saying "But he saved the club he should be around forever" about him as well?

We're the only club beholden to keep on the longest serving loser in AFL history, and we're told we're stupid for wanting anything else. It's a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back