Port Adelaide 2024 - Are they being underestimated?

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just like they were 20 years ago when they won their first and only AFL Premiership flag. Now I know these milestones don't mean a great deal as it was 20 years ago last year that The Lions won ( against Collingwood ) so I'm certainly not suggesting they will win the Premiership. I'm also not saying they can win it however. Season to Season things change a lot just like The Cats missing The 8 last year. But most of the football World has kind of forgot about Port Adelaide going into Season 2024. I was one of them. But are we naive to think that just because they've fallen short in recent years gone by, that they will again? They were on absolute fire last year for much of the season. They had a massive winning streak, many notable wins and played some electrifying football. They pushed us, the current champions to the brink and almost beat us in that top 2 pulsating clash. They lost to the Blues before that game but were missing a host of other players. They did get touched up in the finals and also to The Crows but they still had some injuries and Adelaide were a lot better than what their record suggested and very unlucky to miss the 8. The other loss was to Geelong down at The Cattery where most teams simply don't win.

What can we expect from Port Adelaide? I have them behind Brisbane and Collingwood and even Carlton but it's a brand new season and things do change a hell of a lot.

What's a pass mark for Port in 2024?

They are a very good side through the middle, if Marshall Georgiades and Dixon can remain on the park they are a good shot. They recruited tall backs but all pretty average in my opinion so a kpp injury either end could give them troubles again. Midfield they have Rozee Butters and JHF with Houston SPP Wines and others being able to swing through as well which is just class really. Underrated, maybe but there are other teams in very similar situations they are a slightly more advanced version of Fremantle I think.

They probably should have won in 2020 but got beat by a more finals experienced side, IMO they aren't like the early 2000's Port team at all, that team was on top for many years back then and probably should have won more than 1 flag.

Zerk and Esava are ordinary on face value but the real play is freeing up Aliir. Might make them better, might not.

I think they either strut through the season and finish top two, or miss finals altogether. Midfield appears absolutely brilliant on face value - potentially best in the game if Jase kicks on. Bergman should be better than Duursma on the wing.

Forward line is too tall for my liking. Dixon, Finlayson, Marshall and Georgiades are all meant to play in the same side? Powell-Pepper a great half-forward, but Rioli is the only decent pure small forward; and he's good, not great.

The pass mark is a flag - simple as that. They have invested a lot of capital into this list and Ken has had 12 off-seasons to build his dream team. Amon the only quality player of note to leave over the last few years.

I am hoping for a preliminary finish but I think other teams will rise above us in 2024.

Ken's deck chair year (in between contract renewals), which means we will finish 9th out by percentage due to our horrendous goal kicking.

missing-image-jpg.680587

Geelong failed time and time again. Granted they obviously had that success 2007-2011. Failed time and time again 89-95 as well. Scott was getting crucified for god knows how long. Man that man has a strong spine and resolve to withstand all that he did then finally deliver. I'm just looking at things from all angles because I like others have underestimated teams before and gone on the previous season or seasons and just rule them out. I look At Djokovic going down in the semis and then Sinner coming back from 2-0 sets down. I thought they were formalities but to a higher extent Sinner. I know what Sinner has did for a while now and his wins over Joker, Joker getting older etc. But I made the mistake, again, of underestimating and thinking it was '' Over '' We still after all we've seen, have that in us to underestimate and overestimate.

Who knows. If I had to pick I'd say Pies-Lions rematch and I will stand by that. But is there any reason as to whay we shouldn't expect another huge showing by The Power this season? Dangerous as hell last year and in finals well things happen. West Coast were pantsed and then some by GWS in 2017 and looked like they might struggle to make the 8 according to many ( even me ) yet they won the damn thing.

I think they're being underlooked actually. I've been guilty of that. I was drawing a line through them based off two finals last year. But that's last year.

Rioli was a great inclusion last year. I didn't expect him to to have such a great impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zerk and Esava are ordinary on face value but the real play is freeing up Aliir. Might make them better, might not.

I think they either strut through the season and finish top two, or miss finals altogether. Midfield appears absolutely brilliant on face value - potentially best in the game if Jase kicks on. Bergman should be better than Duursma on the wing.

Forward line is too tall for my liking. Dixon, Finlayson, Marshall and Georgiades are all meant to play in the same side? Powell-Pepper a great half-forward, but Rioli is the only decent pure small forward; and he's good, not great.

The pass mark is a flag - simple as that. They have invested a lot of capital into this list and Ken has had 12 off-seasons to build his dream team. Amon the only quality player of note to leave over the last few years.
Ideally Port would play Marshall, Finlayson & Georgiades up forward... but they won't leave Dixon out.

Think the key is whether one of their new key defensive recruits can consistently lockdown on the opposition's best key forward.

We will finish anywhere between 3rd and 18th, because I can promise you right now that we won’t make a Grand Final for as long as Hinkley is coach.
With Ports midfield profile I reckon they are guaranteed to play finals and probably be a serious contender for the rest of Ken's current contract.
That will guarantee that Kochie gives Kenny another extension. Probably out to around 2030.

I don't know if I've ever seen a supporter base more pessimistic about their coach than Port's right now. At a certain point you have to take their word for it.

What gave you that impression?

Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable​

With Ports midfield profile I reckon they are guaranteed to play finals and probably be a serious contender for the rest of Ken's current contract.
That will guarantee that Kochie gives Kenny another extension. Probably out to around 2030.

And Kane Korner wouldn't bat an eyelid.

No idea how they are being underestimated. Not sure many people have them missing the 8 (there will always be a few people who suggest a certain team will miss).

Not too many are suggesting they will challenge for the flag. That puts them in the 3-8 range which seems about right.

Therefore the premise of the thread is invalid and I will shut it down.

Their own fans don’t rate them. Understandable given they’ve been burnt before.

To me, 2 of the best 10 mids in the AFL, they’ve addressed their biggest weakness, the have clear natural improvement in most positions. Esava will be excellent for them, and I’m told by Bomber fans that BZT in the role they recruited him for will be good too.

I’m confident they’ll make PF weekend at worst.

We aren’t relying on many aging players (Aliir probably the only one), so I don’t see a drop off over the coming years.

I can see some teams like Carlton, GWS and even bulldogs jumping us though.

On the surface, the overall squad seem to endorse Hinkley but that appeal certainly isn’t shared amongst many of the supporters.
If there was a race to the bottom of who would be the most despised figure at the club right now, it would be a two horse race between Ken & Koch.

What the club has managed to do well at over the past few years is put a decent playing list together. It’s no secret that our Achilles Heel has always been our lack of depth in the KPD & Ruck department, but the recruiting team have done a decent job in addressing this issue over the off season.

Time will tell if our List is finally good enough to get past a PF. Soldo, Sweet, Esava & BZT certainly aren’t A Graders by any stretch, but they are a notable upgrade on what we put on the park in previous seasons.

So overall, the List gets a big tick from me, but there’s definitely no ****s given when it comes to Ken & Koch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back