Carlton 2024 - Are they being overestimated?

Are the expectations on the 2024 Blues being overestated?

• Yes

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 31.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I have them down for 16 wins

Brisbane (G) - Likely loss
Richmond (MCG)- Likely win
North (Marvel) - Guaranteed win
Fremantle (AO) - Likely win
Adelaide (Marvel) - Likely win
Giants (Marvel) - Likely win
Geelong (MCG) - Likely win
Collingwood (MCG) - 50/50
Melbourne (MCG) - 50/50
Sydney (SCG) - 50/50
Gold Coast (Marvel) - likely win
Port (AO) - Likely loss
Essendon (MCG) - likely win
Geelong (MCG) - likely win
Richmond (MCG) - likely win
Giants (GS) - 50/50
Bulldogs (Marvel) - likely win
North (Marvel) - Guaranteed win
Port (Marvel) - Likely win
Collingwood (MCG) - 50/50
Hawthorn (MCG) - Guaranteed win
West Coast (OS) - Guaranteed win
St Kilda (Marvel) - 50/50

4 Guaranteed wins
9/11 likely wins
3/6 50/50
0/2 likely losses
17 wins now??? 😉

I find the Blues hard to assess. Imo Voss is in the top handful of coaches in the comp. They have some terrific players but do not possess great depth. Like some other teams in contention for the 8 they will rely on a very good run with injury.

I have them anywhere between 6 and 11.
Not sure I can get on board with you thinking Carlton don’t have depth.

Tonight is a small size of it but we didn’t play Weitering, Walsh, Martin, Motlop, Marchbank and Elijah Hollands (imo 6 best 23 players) and still found a way to beat Brisbane on their home deck. Jack Carroll was sub in I think his 8th game and looked the goods also.

We then have Pittonet in the ruck and I believe O’Keeffe will become a very good ruckman over the next 2 or so years. Binns who won our vfl best and fairest last year in his first season (yet to debut in the seniors). I rate Corey Durdin as a small forward who has unfortunately had injury issues since being drafted but has still kicked 27 goals from his 34 games. Cincotta played 19 games last year in his first year. Then we have players such as Wilson, Cowan, Moir, Lemmey & Monaghan who are all rated highly internally but still young. JSOS goes ok but is clearly out for 2024 though.

I think Carlton have around 32 players that have no issue performing in the seniors along with 3 or 4 others I think would do fine if called upon this year. I’m very comfortable and excited by our quality depth.

Not sure I can get on board with you thinking Carlton don’t have depth.

Tonight is a small size of it but we didn’t play Weitering, Walsh, Martin, Motlop, Marchbank and Elijah Hollands (imo 6 best 23 players) and still found a way to beat Brisbane on their home deck. Jack Carroll was sub in I think his 8th game and looked the goods also.

We then have Pittonet in the ruck and I believe O’Keeffe will become a very good ruckman over the next 2 or so years. Binns who won our vfl best and fairest last year in his first season (yet to debut in the seniors). I rate Corey Durdin as a small forward who has unfortunately had injury issues since being drafted but has still kicked 27 goals from his 34 games. Cincotta played 19 games last year in his first year. Then we have players such as Wilson, Cowan, Moir, Lemmey & Monaghan who are all rated highly internally but still young. JSOS goes ok but is clearly out for 2024 though.

I think Carlton have around 32 players that have no issue performing in the seniors along with 3 or 4 others I think would do fine if called upon this year. I’m very comfortable and excited by our quality depth.

Enjoy. You too Arr0w

That Charlie Curnow bloke... Terrible footballer. Only gets goals from free kicks I heard.

Well, you've seen our worst and best in the one game. It's a matter of which Carlton shows up more throughout the season. Considering the backend of last season and players yet to return, I'd like to think it'll be more positive than not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you were happy with that first half?
Dont think any of us were but we made adjustments after we got jumped to start the game and showed a hell of a lot ticker to claw back the game at a ground that is a fortress of late.

To be 30pt under dogs at the start of the game and to then be 5 goals down early it was a massive win and something we can build on especially with no Walsh and Weitering who are pillars for us.

Of course not, but making a judgement on how a season will pan out after 60 minutes into the season is seriously flawed
lol everyone makes judgements even before the season starts , what do you think a ladder prediction is?

Carlton get talked up as serious contenders before doing anything of note, then they come out and dish up s**t.

All these carlton fans who reply with some version of ‘this aged badly’ are missing point.

Both teams have problems to fix before they won it all, but carlton have not earned the title of premiership favourites.

lol everyone makes judgements even before the season starts , what do you think a ladder prediction is?

Carlton get talked up as serious contenders before doing anything of note, then they come out and dish up s**t.

All these carlton fans who reply with some version of ‘this aged badly’ are missing point.

Both teams have problems to fix before they won it all, but carlton have not earned the title of premiership favourites.
Teams in first match of the season play inconsistently... Im shocked.

Has any peanut other than McClure honestly said we're flag favourites? Most of the Carlton board just want us to get Walsh and Weitering back on the park to know what we'll look like at full strength.

Sure, but do you normally sway from a yearly prediction after 60 minutes

You do realise where you are right. Limited balanced opinion/analysis, but mostly cognitive bias or hope

Yet you chose 60 minutes of footy to post that informed view

I couldn't give a stuff about people framing a market, it's mostly based on the masses being swayed by white noise

Win or lose, last night doesn't change what I believe is our win range of 13-16 games

I remember popping to your board before the start of last year, suggesting you would be the best riser and people wanted Nick's gone

20 odd games, take few breaths before jumping at shadows

No, you don’t fluke a win against the Lions at the Gabba especially when they were just the runner ups.

Back