Carlton or GWS in 2024?

Who will finish higher in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course, as someone suggested above, none of us know what will happen next year.

These sorts of threads are fun for speculation.

No doubt both Clubs have grounds for cautious optimism for 2024.

I had GWS making the 8 this year but had Carlton narrowly missing. Both should be thereabouts again..

Ahead of Trades and the Draft , I have the Giants narrowly ahead.

You had us finishing anywhere between 8-14 this year, mid table I believe

Where do you see us finishing 2024

You had us finishing anywhere between 8-14 this year, mid table I believe

Where do you see us finishing 2024

Sounds right.

Too early for predictions, beyond thinking Carlton will be thereabouts.

FWIW Giants whole backline, barring Whitfield, are 25 or under. A guy like Jack Buckley has only played about 30 games.
Callum Brown, Bedford, Finn Callaghan, all played less than 50. Briggs is just starting.
Guys like Rowston and Cadman developing in the twos.

You guys will finish higher though. Too many stars.

Giants have some really underrated players

Buckley, Idun, Brown, Cummings, Perryman

Jones, Cadman have a point of difference

I really rate Callaghan

Giants really need a top 2 finish. Theyve had some amazing away finals, but inconsistency over the home and away season has always cost them eventually. 2016 the execption where they really blew it at home. Maybe having no fans kills any home ground advantage in the home and away season.

Id be more confident of Carlton being more consistent and finishing above them, some of the Giants young players are ridiculously athletic and good though, not sure their older players will all go as well again.

It would be funny if after 6 months of hype and dreaming, Carlton fans turn up rd 1 and get belted by Richmond as usual!!!

As usual? When has Carlton ever been belted by Richmond in Round 1?

The biggest margin I seem to recall was 43 points and I still wouldn't consider that a "belting".

I expect neither to make top 4, but both to finish around the 5th-7th area.

Pies, Brisbane, Port and a team from nowhere to finish top 4 next year.

Worth noting the Giants had a blessed injury run all year and their depth was never really tested. I’m not one to factor injuries into my predictions but it’s always something to think about it. If they line up with much the same side next year like they did this year, I think they’re top two.
Injuries are such a huge part of success and failure. Not so much in aggregate but with respect to key players. When I am trying to guess at next year's ladder I always try to think about how injury shaped their lists and results.

Just as an example, I think the number of games Lynch misses next year will have an outsized impact on Richmond's final ladder position.

I expect neither to make top 4, but both to finish around the 5th-7th area.

Pies, Brisbane, Port and a team from nowhere to finish top 4 next year.
Reckon the team from nowhere will be Gold Coast.

Have as much talent as anyone, another year more mature. Now with Hardwick at the helm.

They won't win the flag but are the most plausible bet for Top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries are such a huge part of success and failure. Not so much in aggregate but with respect to key players. When I am trying to guess at next year's ladder I always try to think about how injury shaped their lists and results.

Just as an example, I think the number of games Lynch misses next year will have an outsized impact on Richmond's final ladder position.
In fact, gws had a pretty poor run with injuries this year …. Just not as bad as some previous years

High-flying GWS top 2 or 3 next year

Exposed Blues drop down to bottom 6
I’d go further, probably be relegated

What else is in your crystal ball? Pies undefeated for rest of decade? Dons to be cellar dwellers?

The last time Carlton played in finals, they finished bottom 6 the very next season.

What makes you think 2024 would be any different?

The last time Carlton played in finals, they finished bottom 6 the very next season.

After Carlton played finals in 2013 "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus became the number 1 hit on the US charts.

After Carlton played finals in 2013 "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus became the number 1 hit on the US charts.

I’ve been dreading Carlton coming good for over two decades now.

Every year the Carlton fans are up and about. Every year the Carlton fans point to something that’ll mean they’ll be better. “We’ve got a better list now”. “All aboard the Teague train, our players are now playing with greater optimism!” (at the expense of defence). “Mick can’t see us losing a game this season” (on the way to a wooden spoon)

And yet mediocrity has persisted all along.

I don’t think there are too many other clubs that carry such a heavy burden of expectation. That’s what crushes Carlton IMO.

Or maybe it was the five families? Maybe you’ll finally find sustained form now you’ve rid yourself of their stench?

Anyway, let’s see what 2024 brings. I’m optimistic.

Our age profile is one of the best in the competition and we're expected to add some elite father son prospects over the next few years in the Camporeale twins and Pick 1 favourite Cody Walker. If we have a bit of a drop off next year we still have plenty of talent with 5 or 6 years of good footy left in them.

We also have a coach who believes in defending unlike Teague...

Reckon we'll be just fine.

Every year the Carlton fans are up and about. Every year the Carlton fans point to something that’ll mean they’ll be better. “We’ve got a better list now”. “All aboard the Teague train, our players are now playing with greater optimism!” (at the expense of defence). “Mick can’t see us losing a game this season” (on the way to a wooden spoon)

I don’t think there are too many other clubs that carry such a heavy burden of expectation. That’s what crushes Carlton IMO.

Or maybe it was the five families? Maybe you’ll finally find sustained form now you’ve rid yourself of their stench?

Any team can make finals and then miss the following year and it could happen to us in 2024.

I just don't get the comparison to 2013...

Far too early to make credible assessments, currently GWS, Sydney, Brisbane, Carlton are all indicative top 4. One shouldn’t discount Collingwood, Melbourne nor perhaps Port , all quality teams which will iron out current issues. Essendon and Western Bulldogs will have a significant impact, very even bottom 4 finalists.

I love this post, it’s so stupid.

Like we actually made a prelim last year, this isn’t theoretical us “coming good” anymore, it’s proven we can do it and win finals.

Now who the hell knows what this year brings, I do know we have the side to go a long way, but lots of factors come into play.

Back