Carlton or GWS in 2024?

Who will finish higher in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez there are a lot of Collingwood fans in here.

They're playing in a grand final this coming weekend and apparently we're still all they can think about.

It's a bit sad, really.
4 of the top 10 thread contributors, and it's the usual suspects.
But apparently we 'drag them in'...

I went with Carlton and am a bit shocked at it being the minority opinion. Could be missing something here.

GWS are fantastic with seasoned veterans, but they have a lot of young players in their side. Carlton’s list features many players in their prime. So, those players are collectively less likely to drop off than GWS in my opinion.

I didn’t do a deep dive on the age range of each team’s best 22, so I could be wrong on GWS not being at their prime age-wise. But anyways, that’s why I’m going with Carlton.

Last year Kennedy was playing great in the midfield, prelim they couldn’t deal with the Lions Mids and Kennedy was the sub.

Need another mid who can bang and tackle shut someone down a little and get a few out.

And someone who can play on Coleman, he killed em

4 of the top 10 thread contributors, and it's the usual suspects.
But apparently we 'drag them in'...
It's not all about Carlton, this is also about GWS, and it's on the main board.

Some of you would have to be the most fragile supporters I know.

Opinions, that is all they are, but it's like someone shot you.

It's not all about Carlton, this is also about GWS, and it's on the main board.

Some of you would have to be the most fragile supporters I know.

Opinions, that is all they are, but it's like someone shot you.
"most fragile supporters"
"like someone shot you"

That's a bit of an overreaction to my fairly simple post, which was just a very basic and true observation.
Sure, this thread IS on the main board, and it IS about another team as well, but there's a very common denominator with the threads that these usual suspects venture into, and it isn't GWS, or just general main board threads.
You look at the top contributors for ANY other main board thread that doesn't include Collingwood and you rarely see more than one of these posters as a top 10 contributor, let alone 4, so don't even try to pull that rubbish. That's like the pope trying to convince people that he isn't religious.
You guys just need to admit that you're Carlton trolls. It's only yourselves that you're trying to fool. Everyone else already knows.
Like flies to s**t.

"most fragile supporters"
"like someone shot you"

That's a bit of an overreaction to my fairly simple post, which was just a very basic and true observation.
Sure, this thread IS on the main board, and it IS about another team as well, but there's a very common denominator with the threads that these usual suspects venture into, and it isn't GWS, or just general main board threads.
You look at the top contributors for ANY other main board thread that doesn't include Collingwood and you rarely see more than one of these posters as a top 10 contributor, let alone 4, so don't even try to pull that rubbish. That's like the pope trying to convince people that he isn't religious.
You guys just need to admit that you're Carlton trolls. It's only yourselves that you're trying to fool. Everyone else already knows.
Like flies to s**t.
And there it is, Carlton trolls.

I haven't even made a negative comment on Carlton and here I am being a troll, like I said very fragile.

Oh and do you have any more of these fantastic analogies?

Either one of these two could be occupying a top four spot. So I’ll say GWS as I truly believe they are that little bit better than Carlton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel that finals expose really slow players as umps put the whistle away and they get left behind more than usual without the chance to catch up to the play when it would otherwise stop.

Cripps is one of those players

People fail to understand the tough draw concept

I know the point you are trying to make, but answer me this...

Would you rather play

A) The top teams from the current season

OR

B) The top teams from last year who theoretically should have been tough this year?

Yes, Carlton will have a theoretically/likely tough draw next year. Meanwhile we had an actual tough draw this year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely no problem with criticisms/skepticism of Carlton. In fact, I'm possibly leaning GWS finishing higher myself.

But it does get tiring seeing the same 5-6 non Blues fans crapping on about Carlton in every thread. Doesn't bother me much beyond an eye roll but I can see how it would drive others bonkers.

Edit: LoungeLizard... Not sure why you got jumped on. From memory you're one of the more objective posters on the main board.

It's an interesting comparison.
They were very closely matched in the 2nd half the year. This is the ladder for the 2nd half of the year.
The two best defences. The 2nd and 3rd best offences. Even all of our wins and losses were against similarly placed sides.
View attachment 1814382

View attachment 1814401

Which says a lot when St Kilda is your most impressive win.

Port rested half their side as they were focused on Collingwood
Collingwood was coming back from the toughest game of the year interstate on a short break having secured top spot
Melbourne came down to an incorrect goal umpiring decision in your favour

Lose those 3 and Carlton are 12th or so and more reflective of their true position.

Collingwood was coming back from the toughest game of the year interstate on a short break having secured top spot

Lose those 3 and Carlton are 12th or so and more reflective of their true position.
Vs Port: Port made 4 forced changes and dropped two fringe players in Hayes and Narkle so not sure how that is "resting half their side".

Vs Pies: This is such a laughable excuse it isn't even worth responding to.

Vs Dees: Whether it was touched or not is completely subjective based on the rubbish review system - what is objective is that the goal review process was followed properly.

These are all impressive wins against top 4 sides, especially considering Carlton were sitting in 15th not long before that. Add to that injuries to key players like Walsh, Cerra, McKay, McGovern, Kennedy and Silvagni during and beyond this period and they become even more so.

And just on your last point - a side that "should have been 12th" with no finals experience whatsoever would not be beating Sydney and Melbourne in consecutive finals.

Last edited:
Vs Port: Port made 4 forced changes and dropped two fringe players in Hayes and Narkle so not sure how that is "resting half their side".

Vs Pies: This is such a laughable excuse it isn't even worth responding to.

Vs Dees: Whether it was touched or not is completely subjective based on the rubbish review system - what is objective is that the goal review process was followed properly.

These are all impressive wins against top 4 sides, especially considering Carlton were sitting in 15th not long before that. Add to that injuries to key players like Walsh, Cerra, McKay, McGovern, Kennedy and Silvagni during and beyond this period and they become even more so.

And just on your last point - a side that "should have been 12th" with no finals experience whatsoever would not be beating Sydney and Melbourne in consecutive finals.

They dropped 7 players then brought 7 players back to play Collingwood, yeah no resting there…

I know, facts hurt to Carlton fans who can’t accept only one team had something to play, much like Rd 24 when you lost to GWS…

It showed how easy it is to fool a goal umpire.

Yeah, beating Sydney at the MCG and Melbourne in finals is a huge achievement…

They dropped 7 players then brought 7 players back to play Collingwood, yeah no resting there…
They brought back five players against the Pies not seven and one of the ins was replacing DBJ who was injured the week prior. So four rested players at most coming into the side. Those are the real facts.

Port rested half their side as they were focused on Collingwood )
Excuses excuses
Excuse number 2 - port adelaide proved that they weren't up to it hardly convincing as the toughest game of the year
Excuse number 3 - what is often overlooked is when Petracca threw the ball to a team mate in Melbourne's forward line which resulted in a goal in the 3rd quarter.
arc also reviewed touched so why is it incorrect ?

Didn't happen so why bother reflecting -
Time to move on hey ?

They both did well, picking who finishes higher is a hard one.

Might come down to who they trade in and out.

I like GWS and hate Carlton so would be easy for me just to say GWS, but I have no idea.

And there it is, Carlton trolls.

I haven't even made a negative comment on Carlton and here I am being a troll, like I said very fragile.

Oh and do you have any more of these fantastic analogies?

Hate Carlton but not a troll?

Right

They both did well, picking who finishes higher is a hard one.

Might come down to who they trade in and out.

I like GWS and hate Carlton so would be easy for me just to say GWS, but I have no idea.

The classic 'I hate ____________ so I I know they will be crap next year' argument well implied here.

Even if you were trying to be neutral, why bring it up? Why was it so important to add that detail? I despise Collingwood and do take joy out of their misery but never have I allowed such things to determine predictions. I have never event shared one slight thought of it. I've also never discredited your club's achievements. Such arguments scream 'inflated ego'.

Geez there are a lot of Collingwood fans in here.

They're playing in a grand final this coming weekend and apparently we're still all they can think about.

It's a bit sad, really.

I don't ever want to see 'Carlton' and 'irrelevant' in the same sentence ever again.

The classic 'I hate ____________ so I I know they will be crap next year' argument well implied here.

Even if you were trying to be neutral, why bring it up? Why was it so important to add that detail? I despise Collingwood and do take joy out of their misery but never have I allowed such things to determine predictions. I have never event shared one slight thought of it. I've also never discredited your club's achievements. Such arguments scream 'inflated ego'.

I don't ever want to see 'Carlton' and 'irrelevant' in the same sentence ever again.
Well if you don't like the post, why did you quote it, if you just left it sitting there it would be forgotten.

So here you are saying you despise Collingwood, why did you bring that up, you think that makes your argument better, well I could also say, you didn't need to bring that up, but really, I couldn't care less, some of you seem to get upset over the slightest things.

If you actually believe any of that, you're opinion is worthless.
If you don't believe any of that (which is what I'm tipping), but still took the time to type it out to get a reaction, you're opinion is worthless.
So, basically...

Next year we'll be good from the get go, and I don't think anyone actually believes that Carlton is going to be getting better next season, so the easy answer really is GWS. We also beat Collingwood in the PF this season without their 20th man.

Back