Remove this Banner Ad

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Who finishes higher in 2024?

I’m not entirely convinced by Carlton this year. They were a team that caught fire and rode that through to the finals. 13-1-9 in H&A is a good season, and two wins in September is great experience. However their notable H&A victories this year were either come from behind stuff that might not happen next year or beating up on non-finals teams. They could easily have lost both finals they did win. 6-10 region IMHO next year.

GWS started slow and caught fire as well. It could be argued a very similar season to the Blues. I just think it took some time for the game plan to click under first-year coach Adam Kingsley. They travelled far and wide and did so while winning. Both their September wins were impressive, and given some different umpiring interpretations they might have been into the GF. Definite top 4 contender in 2024.

GWS clear form side in the 2nd half of 2023, with a good run with injuries and a better start to the year, I can see them in the Top 4.

Three consecutive away interstate games was always going to be a factor, thats not counting their R24 game in Victoria before the bye.

I’m not entirely convinced by Carlton this year. They were a team that caught fire and rode that through to the finals. 13-1-9 in H&A is a good season, and two wins in September is great experience. However their notable H&A victories this year were either come from behind stuff that might not happen next year or beating up on non-finals teams. They could easily have lost both finals they did win. 6-10 region IMHO next year.

GWS started slow and caught fire as well. It could be argued a very similar season to the Blues. I just think it took some time for the game plan to click under first-year coach Adam Kingsley. They travelled far and wide and did so while winning. Both their September wins were impressive, and given some different umpiring interpretations they might have been into the GF. Definite top 4 contender in 2024.
Spot on.

Carlton’s average winning margin on their 9 game streak was 6 goals. Pretty convincing imo.

The Saints win was come from behind and very tough, the rest we lead all day inc. comfortable wins over Collingwood and Port.

Sydney did not lead in our final at all. Melbourne will be kicking themselves for not winning that game yes.

When other sides win close games it is an art form and something they have practiced. When Carlton win close games it is put down to luck. But we were not considered unlucky when we kicked ourselves out of the 8 in 2022.

We do not look out of place in the best four teams and neither do GWS. They could fly past us in 2024, we may drop back, but some of your statements on Carlton are just wrong.

Either one of these two could be occupying a top four spot. So I’ll say GWS as I truly believe they are that little bit better than Carlton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who did we come from behind to beat in home and away? Gold Coast? St Kilda? We led pies, dees and port largely from start to finish. Even if we didn’t, we lost games we were leading in 2022, so winning close ones is just as vital.

I think top 6 for us again, aim should be top 4. Giants the same. Unless both get crazy injuries/loss of form.

Carlton reminded me of North under Brad Scott in 2014/2015, winning a couple of close finals from the bottom half of the top 8 before travelling interstate for a preliminary final and losing.
I'm not confident Carlton can take the next step and make a grand final or win a premiership, and that this is their peak much like North's peak under Brad Scott.

Carlton’s average winning margin on their 9 game streak was 6 goals. Pretty convincing imo.

The Saints win was come from behind and very tough, the rest we lead all day inc. comfortable wins over Collingwood and Port.

Sydney did not lead in our final at all. Melbourne will be kicking themselves for not winning that game yes.

When other sides win close games it is an art form and something they have practiced. When Carlton win close games it is put down to luck. But we were not considered unlucky when we kicked ourselves out of the 8 in 2022.

We do not look out of place in the best four teams and neither do GWS. They could fly past us in 2024, we may drop back, but some of your statements on Carlton are just wrong.

Who did we come from behind to beat in home and away? Gold Coast? St Kilda? We led pies, dees and port largely from start to finish. Even if we didn’t, we lost games we were leading in 2022, so winning close ones is just as vital.

I think top 6 for us again, aim should be top 4. Giants the same. Unless both get crazy injuries/loss of form.
Ok, some context...

First half of the year the only team of note you beat were a at the time struggling GWS, in their third game with a new coach after finishing 16th last year. You had a draw with non-finalist Richmond and beat other non-finalists Geelong, North Melbourne and West Coast. At one point the Blues were 4-1-8. In short, no wins against anyone good and plenty of losses including to non-finalists Crows, Bulldogs and Bombers.

Come the second half the year and the Blues kick off their run beating up Gold Coast (15th), Hawthorn (16th) and Fremantle (14th). A good win against Port Adelaide followed (in Melbourne), followed by another thrashing of West Coast (18th). A very good win against Collingwood followed, which I will admit I mis-remembered as comeback victory. A comeback victory against the Saints was next followed by a 50-50 win against Melbourne followed by a comeback against the Suns. The H&A season finished with a loss to GWS.

Your percentage of 113% looks ok but was mainly built on big wins against West Coast (108 and 71 points), Hawthorn (60), Gold Coast (59) and Fremantle (53). In those five games you kicked 622 points and only had 271 kicked against you. You went 5-0 for a percentage of 230. In the other 18 games you went 8-1-9 for a percentage of 91 (1300 for/1426 against).

The Blues were handed double-ups against West Coast (2-0), the Gold Coast (2-0), GWS (1-1), St Kilda (1-1), Collingwood (1-1) and Melbourne (1-1). Top six this year will see them with a harder suite of return games next year.

Both finals wins, whilst stirring, weren't really convincing IMHO, and were helped along by massively inaccurate goal-kicking by the opposition.

Congratulations on the year but I'm not yet convinced. Happy to be proven wrong.

Ok, some context...

First half of the year the only team of note you beat were a at the time struggling GWS, in their third game with a new coach after finishing 16th last year. You had a draw with non-finalist Richmond and beat other non-finalists Geelong, North Melbourne and West Coast. At one point the Blues were 4-1-8. In short, no wins against anyone good and plenty of losses including to non-finalists Crows, Bulldogs and Bombers.

Come the second half the year and the Blues kick off their run beating up Gold Coast (15th), Hawthorn (16th) and Fremantle (14th). A good win against Port Adelaide followed (in Melbourne), followed by another thrashing of West Coast (18th). A very good win against Collingwood followed, which I will admit I mis-remembered as comeback victory. A comeback victory against the Saints was next followed by a 50-50 win against Melbourne followed by a comeback against the Suns. The H&A season finished with a loss to GWS.

Your percentage of 113% looks ok but was mainly built on big wins against West Coast (108 and 71 points), Hawthorn (60), Gold Coast (59) and Fremantle (53). In those five games you kicked 622 points and only had 271 kicked against you. You went 5-0 for a percentage of 230. In the other 18 games you went 8-1-9 for a percentage of 91 (1300 for/1426 against).

The Blues were handed double-ups against West Coast (2-0), the Gold Coast (2-0), GWS (1-1), St Kilda (1-1), Collingwood (1-1) and Melbourne (1-1). Top six this year will see them with a harder suite of return games next year.

Both finals wins, whilst stirring, weren't really convincing IMHO, and were helped along by massively inaccurate goal-kicking by the opposition.

Congratulations on the year but I'm not yet convinced. Happy to be proven wrong.

You can pick apart any clubs season if you look hard enough. Of course our best 12 games were better than our worst 12 games. GWS analysis would be similar.

Double ups against 1st/2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th is incredibly tough and I'd be surprised if we had tougher next year. Four top 8 sides and GC who are tough to beat at home. WCE was a blessing.

You don't have to be convinced. The competition is very even and there are no guarantees next year. But give credit where its due, our best football was clearly good enough and we beat everyone in the top 8 except the Lions who may well be the eventual premier.

Carlton reminded me of North under Brad Scott in 2014/2015, winning a couple of close finals from the bottom half of the top 8 before travelling interstate for a preliminary final and losing.
I'm not confident Carlton can take the next step and make a grand final or win a premiership, and that this is their peak much like North's peak under Brad Scott.

It could be, but they were a much older side than what we are now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, some context...

Giants actually had a lower percentage than us and theirs was highly inflated beating a dead Essendon in r23.

But yes none of us can predict the future, I think we are set to be in the mix next year, but we could always slip back. Or we could have a better home and away season and lose finals like the Dees did.

Also 4 double ups against top 8 (3 of eventual top 6) sides for a side which finished 9th last year isn’t easy, it’s about right. Only gimmie double up was west coast, Gold Coast always tricky playing them away especially.

Giants. They should be flag favourites next year.

We belted Port and Collingwood in the 2nd half of the year, comfortably beat St Kilda and won a close battle with Melbourne. In finals we lead for the entire match vs Sydney and once again won a close contest vs the Dees in a game that went back and forth all night.

How is that come from behind wins or beating up non finals teams?

There is a lot of anxiety on big footy about the Blues.

Most were suggesting we'd get smashed like Melbourne did in 2018 last night....but we didn't.

We keep exceeding expectations..... didn't bomb out of finals like most predicted....

Imo both teams will be contending in 2025 once they've addressed their remaining 3-4 list holes. A couple of ordinary players still on both teams which their young kids will likely need to fill as they get a few more pre seasons in and up to speed with AFL pressure.

Add 2 good half forwards to the Blues list and I think we'd push nearly every team in the comp. Still a bit ordinary when Mckay and Curnow don't fire and Owies, Motlop, Durdin etc aren't reliable enough options to account for that.

Back