Carlton or GWS in 2024?

Who will finish higher in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I love this post, it’s so stupid.

Like we actually made a prelim last year, this isn’t theoretical us “coming good” anymore, it’s proven we can do it and win finals.

Now who the hell knows what this year brings, I do know we have the side to go a long way, but lots of factors come into play.
13-2 in our last 15 games, which includes 2 finals wins and wins against the eventual premiers and the reigning runners up.

I love this post, it’s so stupid.

Like we actually made a prelim last year, this isn’t theoretical us “coming good” anymore, it’s proven we can do it and win finals.

In 2011 you made a Semi. Admittedly that’s not a Prelim, but you only missed out on making the Prelim by 3 points which is surely not worth splitting hairs over?

Next season you won your first 2 games just as you have now. You actually won your first three games. And trust me, Carlton had players then who their adoring fans believed would take them a long way (just as they do today). And yet the end of the season your Senior Coach was gone and hindsight shows you were headed for a heavy rebuild.

So if it’s happened before - it can’t be that stupid?

Now who the hell knows what this year brings, I do know we have the side to go a long way, but lots of factors come into play.

Agreed that nobody knows what this year will bring.

Sure, you could be 2024 Premiers for all you or I know.

Or you could find yourself yelling abuse over the fence at your own players for their “disgraceful” performance (as many of your fans were doing barely 15 games ago)

Who knows?

Personally I don’t think the burden of expectation helps your club at all, but hey, it’s your club.

In 2011 you made a Semi. Admittedly that’s not a Prelim, but you only missed out on making the Prelim by 3 points which is surely not worth splitting hairs over?

Next season you won your first 2 games just as you have now. You actually won your first three games. And trust me, Carlton had players then who their adoring fans believed would take them a long way (just as they do today). And yet the end of the season your Senior Coach was gone and hindsight shows you were headed for a heavy rebuild.

So if it’s happened before - it can’t be that stupid?

Agreed that nobody knows what this year will bring.

Sure, you could be 2024 Premiers for all you or I know.

Or you could find yourself yelling abuse over the fence at your own players for their “disgraceful” performance (as many of your fans were doing barely 15 games ago)

Who knows?

Personally I don’t think the burden of expectation helps your club at all, but hey, it’s your club.

Burden of expectation was used as a reason for Richmond being crap for so long, until they weren’t. Maybe it could be used as a reason Essendon aren’t any good, not sure why expectations are greater at Carlton than any other well supported club.

We were derailed a bit by injury in 2012 and should have held our nerve with Ratts, for at least 2013 anyway.

Malthouse then ripped the side apart, combined with terrible drafting between 2009-14 (except Cripps) and we got to where we did.

What happened then has about as much relevance as Collingwoods flag defence in 1991 resulting in not making the finals and trying to link it to what we have seen so far in 2024.

At the moment it would have to be GWS.

Carlton have lead for about 3 of their 8 quarters which is pretty unimpressive. I actually thought one of the stories of round 1 was the fact that Carlton didn’t run away with the game against Richmond despite Richmond having an incredible 3 injuries.

At the moment it would have to be GWS.

Carlton have lead for about 3 of their 8 quarters which is pretty unimpressive. I actually thought one of the stories of round 1 was the fact that Carlton didn’t run away with the game against Richmond despite Richmond having an incredible 3 injuries.
Blues are a dour gritty side missing most of our class players. Until they are back we aint gonna look too pretty regardless of who we come up against.

Burden of expectation was used as a reason for Richmond being crap for so long, until they weren’t….

Exactly.

Ditto the Colliwobbles years.

And as you say “… until they weren’t”. Carlton hasn’t reached that “… until they weren’t” bit yet.

Blues are a dour gritty side missing most of our class players. Until they are back we aint gonna look too pretty regardless of who we come up against.
I see our best defender (Weitering), best midfielder (Sam Walsh), best small forward (Jesse Motlop), best mid-sized forward (Jack Martin), new recruit (Elijah Hollands) and Caleb Marchbank all being inserted into the 23 as soon as they are available. Finally have some depth which is great but those players should give us a further boost.

Still, to beat the Lions in Brisbane and get over the line against the Tigers who always trouble us is a great start given the outs.

Back