Adelaide on the verge of being real contenders - or are they?

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Hardly an original take, of course, but I've said it before, Adelaide now look a lot like Collingwood in the 2019-2021 period. The fact they beat or nearly beat the main contenders in Collingwood, Port and Melbourne says a lot. Two at the MCG. A lot of near misses, like the Pies in 21, and just that fast attacking play on at all costs style. Still could use a lot of polish, but as long as they have some old heads around to guide their youth, should be at the pointy end from 2024.

Course there are no guarantees and could be a mediocre or mediocre top 8 side next year, but I really think they'll be top 4 next year and at least make a prelim.

What about you? And why or why don't you think they can do it?

Flags are won in Victoria and their record in Victoria this year is 0 wins 5 losses.

Midfield is a concern. Also they will need to strike while Tex is around.

Think Fogarty and Thilthorpe will be a good combo in time but they aren't ready to take on the #1 mantle yet.

Once Tex goes they will step back a bit.

Strange to think that they have significantly overachieved this year but are still only in 13th spot.

I expect they will slide back into the bottom 4 next year.

Good run while it lasted.

One aspect which seems to have been overlooked is that they have had very few injuries so have been able to put very close to best 22 out there nearly every week.. Of course they may do so again over next few seasons, but chances are they won't. And will likely get a tougher draw next year

I rate them. They'll be playing finals this year IMO.

They will need some finals experience though to be a flag chance IMO, very rare you just break through and win it all without the group having some finals experience in recent years, even if it's not directly the year before.

Finals, 50/50 chance this year. It really depends on many things. While some Crows supporters have high expectation of a finals appearance I am just prepared for anything. I have followed this team from the start and we have had seasons (1994, 1996, 2007, 2013, 2018 for example) were we have underperformed terribly.

Should have grabbed 8th last year (no they would have not won the flag) and now they need to do all that work all over again, will it hit some players mentally or will it motivate them?. The draw is not easy, there are some big challenges this year esp in our away games.

Will probably need 8 home wins and 5 away wins to play finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back