Port Adelaide. The real deal or pretenders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Regular season and finals are two different beasts.
They beat up on crap teams.
Port's record against top 4 teams under Ken Hinkley is 16 wins, 46 losses.

Also, the culture they have is bizarre because their players can't get up for big finals or for Russell Ebert's tribute match.

It shows they play for the coach and don't play for the club, the jumper or the supporters.

Also, the culture they have is bizarre because their players can't get up for big finals or for Russell Ebert's tribute match.

It shows they play for the coach and don't play for the club, the jumper or the supporters.
Absolutely agree. Ken Hinkley and David Koch have moved my club so far away from what it once stood for it has become unrecognisable. I despise both of them.

Yea this is pretty spot on tbh I also think Hinkley is just terrible with mental preparation of players which comes to the fore in big games.

2023 was purely managed to get his extension imo not the bigger picture of hitting finals in good shape.

From the outside Port are a poverty struck club that regularly farts higher than their arses. They are characterised by great teamwork from some really/average (not s**t just middle of the road) players.

They get found out in finals when intensity lifts and you need brilliance and good coaching.

they have a fine coach who gets some great footy out of all tiers of his list. Because there’s no money to poach players/finagle the system like Rick clubs do the get prime recruits like…I guess JHF was the last coup, then it’s Lycett or Rioli. No Buddies or Grundys there.

Do Port players magically improve when they leave? I cant think of any. I think they are well coached.

Absolutely agree. Ken Hinkley and David Koch have moved my club so far away from what it once stood for it has become unrecognisable. I despise both of them.
Yea this is pretty spot on tbh I also think Hinkley is just terrible with mental preparation of players which comes to the fore in big games.

2023 was purely managed to get his extension imo not the bigger picture of hitting finals in good shape.
Continuing from my previous post.

Port's record against bottom 10 teams under Ken Hinkley is 108 wins, 28 losses.

Also, in regards to the culture at Port, it's quite bizarre how the players hate the fans and the comments from Charlie Dixon about the fans had me scratching my head thinking WTF?

They are a close playing group and luv ken. Yes their finals were crap but they were banged up a bit and were caught short in defence and ruck.
They will be up there again next year after recruiting what they needed to improve it will then come down to their mental toughness whether they can right the wrongs from previous final campaigns.
It would not surprise me if ken does a choco in 2024 and gets the result and has the last laugh.

They are a close playing group and luv ken. Yes their finals were crap but they were banged up a bit and were caught short in defence and ruck.
They will be up there again next year after recruiting what they needed to improve it will then come down to their mental toughness whether they can right the wrongs from previous final campaigns.
It would not surprise me if ken does a choco in 2024 and gets the result has the last laugh.
There is no last laugh in his situation.

Port have been underrated because of their coach and recent finals losses.
Essendon are a middle of the road side and Port put them to the sword tonight.

Port could be the real deal this year with their star midfield roving to a decent ruckman in Soldo - a huge upgrade on a cooked Lycett.

Port could be the real deal this year with their star midfield roving to a decent ruckman in Soldo - a huge upgrade on a cooked Lycett.

We will go as far as our elite 3 mids will take us

If we were the real deal we would've beaten Melbourne. We'll be the 3rd-6th best team in the league again, because that's Hinkley's ceiling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can finish top 4, but we can't win the 3 consecutive finals games against top 4 opposition you need to win a flag. Not under this loser coach. You have to show up mentally every week, and we won't.

We've won 2 finals since 2014. None of them were knockout finals.

Is it Hinkley or is it lack of A-Grade KPPs?

Zerk-Thatcher
Sav
Dixon
Marshall
Finlayson

None of which are Elite or even A-Grade.

Eagles did it in ‘06 I guess though.

Hinkley has had 11 years to build his dream team. Our recruiters has always got what he has asked for. If we still don't have the players, well that's on Ken.

Zerk-Thatcher
Sav
Dixon
Marshall
Finlayson

Darren Glass was most definitely elite.

Would have won a flag already if they sacked Ken ages ago.

List has never been their problem. Until Ken is sacked though, cannot see them winning it.

Zerk-Thatcher
Sav
Dixon
Marshall
Finlayson

Those guys are no Mason Cox or Billy Frampton I guess

They look real dealish to me.
Mids are damn good.
Speed off hb is damn good.
Forward line is dynamic.

There seemed to be a few too many turnovers at one point, silly errors, but possibly just effervescence.

The trick will be dodging the injury bullet, and winning in Melbourbe.

But why not, enough young players with no such engrams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back