News Port Adelaide have applied to join the VFL by 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Specifically Eddie Maguire actually!!!

I think AFL clubs miss the opportunity to make more money in merchandising by having proper alternate strips like they do in soccer, NFL and many other sports - Juventus is probably the worlds most famous back & white stripe jumper in the world yet if they play Udinese (another black & white stripe) away, Juve plays their away strip rather than jumping up and down like a little baby crying 'we had that strip first'.
Some things are a little more important, than a few dollars in merch.
There is no way the Port Magpies will be in the AFL Reserves.

Does it really matter at the reserves level? Werribee and Richmond are both known as the Tigers in the VFL and both wear yellow and black. No one seems to care about that. Sandingham and Hawthorn wear almost identical jumpers in the VFL and Coburg's jumper is very similar to Essendon's. Collingwood seem to be the only ones that care about this.

Seems like a pretty obvious decision to just let the Port Magpies brand and jumper enter the VFL/AFL reserves competition.
Pretty obvious, is it?

I think you are delusional, if you think the Port Magpies will be in the VFL/AFL.

Port had to change their name and jumper to enter the AFL, what makes you think that the same will not happen in the reserves?

Some things are a little more important, than a few dollars in merch.
There is no way the Port Magpies will be in the AFL Reserves.
Time to move on stopping teams like Port wearing theirs for home games..it's not like we are watching Nth vs Coll b&w days.

Don't think the VFL will exist in it's current form when and if Port wants to join as the AFL will surely head this at the pass and just created a AFL reserves league.

I'm not sure why any of you think Port would want to wear the PB's & be called the Magpies in the VFL or a proper AFL reserves comp.. the frothing is funny though.

Magpie logos are not even worn at SANFL level any more.

Pretty obvious, is it?

I think you are delusional, if you think the Port Magpies will be in the VFL/AFL.

Port had to change their name and jumper to enter the AFL, what makes you think that the same will not happen in the reserves?
Then explain why Richmond and Werribee share the Tigers nickname as well as the colours black and yellow in the VFL. Could it be that others clubs don't think this is as big of an issue as Collingwood does?

I don't know if Port want to keep their Magpies brand going in the VFL but if they do then I don't see why the AFL shouldn't allow it. Did you know the Brunswick Magpies wore black & white and competed in the VFL for close to 100 years? It's not like Collingwood are the only team in this competition that has used that nickname or set of colours.

Specifically Eddie Maguire actually!!!

I think AFL clubs miss the opportunity to make more money in merchandising by having proper alternate strips like they do in soccer, NFL and many other sports - Juventus is probably the worlds most famous back & white stripe jumper in the world yet if they play Udinese (another black & white stripe) away, Juve plays their away strip rather than jumping up and down like a little baby crying 'we had that strip first'.
Juve actually started out in the pink tops, so it'd be fine if they wore those against Collingwood who had the black and white stripes first.

Time to move on stopping teams like Port wearing theirs for home games..it's not like we are watching Nth vs Coll b&w days.

Don't think the VFL will exist in it's current form when and if Port wants to join as the AFL will surely head this at the pass and just created a AFL reserves league.
You have answered your own statement.
If it is an AFL reserves team, that would mean Port would be the Port Power Reserves, not Port Adelaide Magpies.

If it is an AFL reserves team, that would mean Port would be the Port Power Reserves, not Port Adelaide Magpies.
Who really cares? Record books says Collingwood Football Club won the 2023 AFL Premiership.
Juve actually started out in the pink tops, so it'd be fine if they wore those against Collingwood who had the black and white stripes first.
Touche!! I said the world most famous but if we want to go on age, then Notts County.

If there was an 18 club reserves comp, one thing that i'd be interested in is if they have a finals series and a premiership.

I doubt they would - I know a major bugbear of clubs is their VFL team finishing the season and their AFL team going deep into finals... players outside the senior team have to go up to 4-5 weeks without a game and still may be required at senior level. They've organised scratch matches etc because of it.

I think we'd just see the reserves mirror the senior finals fixtures up to PF weekend.

If there was an 18 club reserves comp, one thing that i'd be interested in is if they have a finals series and a premiership.

I doubt they would - I know a major bugbear of clubs is their VFL team finishing the season and their AFL team going deep into finals... players outside the senior team have to go up to 4-5 weeks without a game and still may be required at senior level. They've organised scratch matches etc because of it.

I think we'd just see the reserves mirror the senior finals fixtures up to PF weekend.
Some clubs anyway...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But at the same time, I think a lot of clubs find having their younger players play reserves finals to be a valuable experience, particularly if their league team don’t make it.

In a way I feel it’s a reward for clubs with depth who have performed well in the reserves that they get to have their back ups playing and other clubs don’t.

So no ladder and no scoring? Like U8s?

So easy, just the same clubs and fixture as seniors, then finals. Reserves GF before seniors. Everyone gets two live games for the price of one if they want to go. Travel is easier as both teams travel together etc.
Won't happen. Let's take round 1 for example next year- 4 MCG games scheduled + another 4 reserves games - the ground staff would be replacing the turf every second week

What's the rookie wage now, 90k? Maybe AFL reserve non listed players receive this wage?

Well, there is only 4 AFL clubs missing from this current VFL whom all travel up and down the eastern seaboard so all Port will be doing is forcing the AFL to bring in an AFL only reserve league.
Make the rookie wage $130,000 a year or $2,500 a week.

That's a good incentive just to rock up.

Yea don't give two shits tbh
You don't care about much these days.

Years of having Ken Hinkley as Ports coach has knocked off your passion LoL

I guess some of your fellow port Adelaide fans are tortured souls LoL.

Don't worry, ken Hinkley will be gone eventually, he can't live forever lol

Imagine if he did.

That'd be hilarious.

Western Bulldogs Reserves team is called Footscray.

I’d have no problem if Richmond Reserves were known as Wasps. More fun really if clubs go back to their roots in the reserves.

Well I care what's best for the club, the Port Magpies are already the Power reserves all under the same umbrella & it's not 1985 anymore.

Even if Hinkley lived forever it's still better than being a Fremantle supporter.. there's always a positive.

What's the rookie wage now, 90k? Maybe AFL reserve non listed players receive this wage?

Make the rookie wage $130,000 a year or $2,500 a week.

That's a good incentive just to rock up.

Clubs have a minimum of 25 VFL players. Some have 30+.

So now we’re gonna give them $130k each per year.

25 players x 18 clubs x $130k = $58.5m a year on bloody reserves fill-ins.

We are reaching peak BigFooty here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back