Expansion National reserves competition in 2025. Are you in favour?

Are you in favour of a national reserves competition

• Yes

Votes: 154 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 31 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it possible for state league teams to align with teams outside of their state, like NRL does?

How much are the TV rights for AFLW?

Rightly or wrongly I think an AFL reserves comp would have far more interest for fans.

The TV rights for a reserves league would be worth absolutely bugger all. People simply aren’t interested in reserves footy in big numbers.

You’ve basically already got it in Vic, all the teams have a reserves side or a close affiliate. The rights are worth nothing. The ABC always did the telecasts and they cut it due to budgets, now Ch7 do one game and I think they’re basically made to as part of the AFL rights deal.

And whenever the games are on, there’s also at least one AFL game on at the same time. That’s what the AFL wants people watching.

Still no one knows what will be any different for them, they are just changing geography. Nothing will change in regards to development. In fact many would argue they will be moving to a weaker comp joining the VFL.

Lol.

Remind me again where the Vic Metro and Vic Country pools go year on year......

AFL media seems to do its best to not give any promotion or even info about vfl

People simply aren’t interested. It’s just how it is. It’s not just footy, Australians generally don’t give a toss about any sport that isn’t the elite level.

Some article about a hypothetical trade will get 100x more clicks than anything about the VFL.

The other big advantage I saw mentioned earlier is that you could almost always have the reserves game scheduled after the AFL game so you don't have to carry over emergencies. Clubs would be massively in favour of this.

Doesn't need to be at the same ground and could easily be on the next day. So Thursday/Friday games are played Saturday afternoon, Saturday/Sunday games are played on Sunday afternoon (ideally the Sunday reserves always play at least an hour after the main game starts to allow for emergencies to get to the reserves ground).

Some reasons why an AFL reserves comp won’t happen any time soon:
  • I don’t reckon Port would be happy to kill off the Port Magpies/Prison Bar heritage by joining an AFL reserves comp.
  • Crows are contacted with the SANFL until at least 2028.
  • Not sure many Vic AFL clubs would be advantaged by a reserves comp. More travel for all clubs is not a positive.
  • increased cost to the AFL would not be popular
  • WAFC owns the WAFL and also both WC and Freo - why would they want them to leave?

• I don’t reckon Port would be happy to kill off the Port Magpies/Prison Bar heritage by joining an AFL reserves comp.
  • Not sure many Vic AFL clubs would be advantaged by a reserves comp. More travel for all clubs is not a positive.
  • WAFC owns the WAFL and also both WC and Freo - why would they want them to leave?

If the interstate clubs feel that strongly about it then they may well push ahead with it, but there is really no reason at all for the Victorian clubs to be involved.

There’s 8 interstate clubs who could do it, and they could add Southport and perhaps a couple of others if they’re keen. That’s enough clubs. Call it AFL2.

Then the VFL with Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, Sandringham, Box Hill, Casey, Port Melb, Williamstown, Essendon, Geelong, Frankston, Coburg, Bullants, North and Footscray.

Tassie can choose either league.

I agree with all this, the only thing that may get it over the line is kochie is likely to be the next AFL chairman, so Dillon saying f off to his future boss could be a bit difficult.

If the interstate clubs feel that strongly about it then they may well push ahead with it, but there is really no reason at all for the Victorian clubs to be involved.

There’s 8 interstate clubs who could do it, and they could add Southport and perhaps a couple of others if they’re keen. That’s enough clubs. Call it AFL2.

Then the VFL with Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, Sandringham, Box Hill, Casey, Port Melb, Williamstown, Essendon, Geelong, Frankston, Coburg, Bullants, North and Footscray.

Tassie can choose either league.

I'd prefer something like that and then the best interstate teams play off against the best vfl teams in finals. That will help reduce travel costs a little as it wouldn't be the Vic teams traveling interstate all the time during the season.

This.

I completely understand the reasoning for interstate clubs wanting this, but I can’t see Vic clubs allowing this to go through.

Box Hill, just to use it as an example, is one of the best pathways in the VFL.

Great club, great leaders - and a successful pathway for young talent.

This idea is a disaster for the VFL.
And what would become of Port Melbourne? The most successful VFA / VFL club with 17 premierships

I kind of like the idea. The issues would be the travel. VFL listed players work another job, so it may clash with their work schedule. Also clubs are going to be spending a whole lot more flying a whole extra squad around the country. I do like it though. Just wonder how it affects the state competitions as recruiting grounds? Some of the stand alone clubs will probably be happy to see the AFL affiliation go as it will level the playing field you would think.

There are pros and cons. Personally I would like to see it as I think the VFL is a poor reserves competition. Starts late, has a heap of bye's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a strange irony of Port wanting the leave the only place where they’re the magpies.
They’ll probably retain their Magpies moniker when entering the national reserves comp though. We have Richmond and Werribee as “Tigers”, and Brisbane and Coburg as “Lions”. No reason why Port Adelaide and Collingwood can’t both be “Magpies”.

Well, unless Coburg and Werribee aren’t coming into the national reserves competition.

AFL now effectively killing footy country wide.
Hopefully the good seasoned footballers playing WAFL and SANFL stick with their comps and let the reserves AFL be what it actually is which is a colts comp which no club gives a crap about winning.
That’s kinda the fault of the SANFL and WAFL though. They subjected standalone AFL-affiliated sides to different rules, effectively hampering their ability to develop players. Otherwise, the likes of Port Adelaide, Adelaide, and West Coast wouldn’t have seen the need to leave.

They’ll probably retain their Magpies moniker when entering the national reserves comp though. We have Richmond and Werribee as “Tigers”, and Brisbane and Coburg as “Lions”. No reason why Port Adelaide and Collingwood can’t both be “Magpies”.

Well, unless Coburg and Werribee aren’t coming into the national reserves competition.
The VFL is a seperate entity to the AFL. The AFL reserves comp won’t be.

As well as putting some much needed integrity into bastardised state comps, there is one big positive for AFL player management.

By the reserves having the same schedule as the seniors, it is much more likely that travelling emergencies can play in the reserves and keep game time up. As it is the possibility exists that a side, especially non-Vic ones, has away games on a regular basis, have to take emergencies that don't play and can't get them back home to play in the state comp.

As Port started this, use them as an example. Assume they take 4 players with them, next in line to play, as emergencies and get Sunday home games in between. The emergencies don't get used, but as they are next in line don't get cycled out in case they are needed. They can't really play the SANFL game on the Saturday just in case, and can't play when travelling away with the main squad. They could easily go 4-5 weeks with no match fitness, and maybe there's an SANFL bye in there too.

Its less of an issue with the Vic sides as its more likely both sides are in Vic at some point over the space of 2-3 weeks. But even they can easily be playing AFL in NSW one week with VFL in Vic, then AFL in Vic and VFL in Qld the following week.

Being to align the fixtures helps those fringe players get the game time they might need if five weeks down the track injury means they are called on.

The VFL is a seperate entity to the AFL. The AFL reserves comp won’t be.
Oh OK, I see. So it sounds like it won’t be Port Adelaide & co. joining the VFL like Brisbane, Gold Coast etc. did. They’d be joining a separate reserves competition that all other AFL reserves teams will join. Got it now.

That’s kinda the fault of the SANFL and WAFL though. They subjected standalone AFL-affiliated sides to different rules, effectively hampering their ability to develop players. Otherwise, the likes of Port Adelaide, Adelaide, and West Coast wouldn’t have seen the need to leave.

Nope they got given a fair salary cap.
Surely you don’t think they should get the same cap as the other WAFL clubs,
The WAFL clubs get 270k to spend on their entire list and you think the Eagles should get the same to spend on just 8-14 top ups.
If you really think that should be how it is it will be very difficult to have an adult conversation with you about this.
The Eagles football program is the issue, they are not fit and hence get way too many injuries.
If they averaged the injuries of the other AFL clubs their WAFL side would be competitive.
Freo having no issues in the WAFL.
Just West Coast and the Eagles have sooked and complained about every single set up playing in the WAFL.
Spread players throughout all clubs, they won 3 AFL flags doing that yet they sooked and didn’t like it.
They aligned on 3 occasions but instead of working with the WAFL club they wanted to run the WAFL club. WAFL club quickly said go away.
Then now we have stand alone. They played finals 3 years ago with less concessions than they have now but yet again they sook and complain.
Maybe they should look within and realise they currently have the worse run and performing football department in Australia.
Until they acknowledge and address their issues within not much will change and if they think leaving the WAFL will solve their issues then good luck to them. That’s just transferring the issue elsewhere.

As well as putting some much needed integrity into bastardised state comps, there is one big positive for AFL player management.

By the reserves having the same schedule as the seniors, it is much more likely that travelling emergencies can play in the reserves and keep game time up. As it is the possibility exists that a side, especially non-Vic ones, has away games on a regular basis, have to take emergencies that don't play and can't get them back home to play in the state comp.

As Port started this, use them as an example. Assume they take 4 players with them, next in line to play, as emergencies and get Sunday home games in between. The emergencies don't get used, but as they are next in line don't get cycled out in case they are needed. They can't really play the SANFL game on the Saturday just in case, and can't play when travelling away with the main squad. They could easily go 4-5 weeks with no match fitness, and maybe there's an SANFL bye in there too.

Its less of an issue with the Vic sides as its more likely both sides are in Vic at some point over the space of 2-3 weeks. But even they can easily be playing AFL in NSW one week with VFL in Vic, then AFL in Vic and VFL in Qld the following week.

Being to align the fixtures helps those fringe players get the game time they might need if five weeks down the track injury means they are called on.

4? AFL clubs travel with one emergency. Perhaps 2 at times.

And they are indeed rotated so this doesn’t happen.

It’s not a big issue.

How many AFL listed players would be in a reserves team in an average week?

40 on a list
23 playing for seniors
6 is probably the average injury list

So we're looking at 11 AFL listed players in an average reserves team.

Seems pointless.

We haven't even got into what the team would look like if a club has a run similar to the eagles when we had WAFL players in our senior team.

There would be zero point fielding a team with no AFL listed players in it.

Anyone playing for one of the AFL reserves side should be eligible for short term promotion to the senior list and play AFL games, I don’t get why we are so conservative in AFL about this. Same with interchange, have as many as you like on the bench I couldn’t care less, allows cover for multiple positions but still cap rotations further to a max of 15 a quarter.

Back