Opinion Who's the best player in the competition?

Who is the best?

• Marcus Bontempelli

• Charlie Curnow

• Toby Greene

• Christian Petracca

• Jeremy Cameron

• Max Gawn

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

naysayer

Cancelled
May 12, 2023
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Friday night's game prompted one Carlton poster on the main board to declare Charlie Curnow as the best player "in the world". Which is funny.

But it did get me thinking, who has a legitimate claim to being the best player in the game? The perennial heavyweights in Buddy, Danger and Dusty are no longer good or consistent enough to be in the frame. I can think of a four names, I don't think anybody else has a serious claim to being the best at the moment, but I'll allow people to make suggestions and add them to the poll if they want. I'll keep it open for voting until the start of the finals.

Max Gawn

Sam Frost is very underrated, has been best on ground for the opposition in just about every game

Toby Greene. He is putting that team on his back and carrying them to finals.

Petracca will get his 4th straight AA this year. Longest chive streak. To go with a couple of b&fs and a Norm Smith during that time. He is in the discussion

Bontempelli, Daicos (maybe needs more time), Greene, Oliver, Curnow, Gawn (if you excuse the slow start this year)

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Petracca will get his 4th straight AA this year. Longest chive streak. To go with a couple of b&fs and a Norm Smith during that time. He is in the discussion

Bontempelli, Daicos (maybe needs more time), Greene, Oliver, Curnow, Gawn (if you excuse the slow start this year)

Only three Melbourne players?

I think Tom Stewart gets a mention then he is going for his 5th in 6 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only three Melbourne players?
you dont think there is a legit argument that all are in the top 10 players? The Melbourne list has always been very top heavy

Oliver has won the last 2 AFLCA medals
Petracca will get his 4th AA in a row and has a NS in the last 2 years
Gawn has been AA 6 of the last 7 years

you dont think there is a legit argument that all are in the top 10 players? The Melbourne list has always been very top heavy

Yes but this thread is not about who are the top 10 players in the competition.

Oliver can't even get a game at the moment.

Yes but this thread is not about who are the top 10 players in the competition.
Fair

tbf I don't think there is a real standout number 1 though.

If I had a gun to my head I would say Bont

Could argue either Bont, Toby Greene, Charlie Curnow or Nick Daicos pretty easily.

I think Tom Stewart gets a mention then he is going for his 5th in 6 years.

Stewart hasn't been (and shouldn't be) AA this year. Too many watch him through severely rose coloured glasses. He was absolutely atrocious on the weekend, and not for the first time this year. It underlines that defenders who zone off and rack up easy possessions are playing a far easier game than defenders who actually have to defend. He's great at the first, he's nowhere near great at the second.

Back