who is the best young gun... Daicos, Green, Gulden, Rowell or Walsh?

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was looking at players 24 and under (off the top of my head):

1. Daicos
2. Green
3. Gulden
4. Rozee
5. Butters
6. Rowell
7. Walsh
8. Serong
9. Anderson
10. Jackson

Sheezel, Warner and Brayshaw just outside top 10.

Last edited:
Collingwood fans say Daicos
Carlton fans say anybody but Daicos Walsh

90 Day Fiance Idk GIF by TLC
I would trade any player on our list for Gulden, writings on the wall, he's going to become the best player in the league very soon.

Seems like a weird group of 5 to pick out as the best young guns.

Is Matt Rowell a better footballer than Noah Anderson?
Is he better than Rozee, Serong, Ashcroft, Sheezel or Horne-Francis?

2018 Draft: S.Walsh, Z.Butters, C.Rozee, M.King, B.King, J.Lukosius, I.Rankine, N.Blakey, B.Smith,
2019 Draft: N.Anderson, T.Green, C.Serong, M.Rowell, C.Warner, L.Jackson, K.Pickett, W.Day, S.De Koning, K.Coleman
2020 Draft: J.Ugle-Hagan, E.Gulden (M.Holmes, A.Perkins)
2021 Draft: N.Daicos, J.Horne-Francis, M.Owens (F.Callaghan, S.Darcy, J.Amiss, J.Rachele, N,Wanganeen-Milera)
2022 Draft: W.Ashcroft, H.Sheezel (G.Wardlaw, B.Humphrey, J.Weddle)

If I was looking at players 24 and under (off the top of my head):

1. Daicos
2. Green
3. Gulden
4. Rozee
5. Butters
6. Rowell
7. Walsh
8. Serong
9. Anderson
10. Jackson

Sheezel, Warner and Brayshaw just outside top 10.
With Rowell looking back to his best, I think you could legitimately argue for any of that 10 in just about any order. Really cool how especially that first 9 while all mids, all play with their own unique style / strengths. Also cool that 5 of those 10 are from the one incredible draft

Where are Noah Anderson, Caleb Serong, Butters and Rozee?

I'd have it as:

1. Green
2. Daicos
3. Butters
4. Gulden
5. Anderson
6. Rowell
7. Rozee
8. Serong
9. Walsh
10. Warner

Sheezel and Ashcroft will be here soon.

Sheezel is stiff to miss out here. If he wasn't playing for a basket case he'd be playing in his natural spot as a mid/forward and likely be dominating.

At the moment he's resigned to helping his spud teammates rebound the ball because half of them can barely make contact with their boots.

Very true. Sheezel being used as the utility fix-it guy shows how highly rated he is by the Roos.

A brilliant young player.

I mean it in a good way.

He's a freakishly good athlete.

Jackson has great footy know how on the field.

Off the field, he’s just one boofy young lad. Yes, at times the kangaroos do appear to be loose in his head. He just enjoys life, will never be called a snob.

Seems like a weird group of 5 to pick out as the best young guns.

Is Matt Rowell a better footballer than Noah Anderson?
Is he better than Rozee, Serong, Ashcroft, Sheezel or Horne-Francis?

2018 Draft: S.Walsh, Z.Butters, C.Rozee, M.King, B.King, J.Lukosius, I.Rankine, N.Blakey, B.Smith,
2019 Draft: N.Anderson, T.Green, C.Serong, M.Rowell, C.Warner, L.Jackson, K.Pickett, W.Day, S.De Koning, K.Coleman
2020 Draft: J.Ugle-Hagan, E.Gulden (M.Holmes, A.Perkins)
2021 Draft: N.Daicos, J.Horne-Francis, M.Owens (F.Callaghan, S.Darcy, J.Amiss, J.Rachele, N,Wanganeen-Milera)
2022 Draft: W.Ashcroft, H.Sheezel (G.Wardlaw, B.Humphrey, J.Weddle)

Just 5 that jumped out in my mind... Rowell & Green have bolted out of the gates in 2024. Otherwise no science to it

But fair ... Serong, Rozee, Butters in the same conversation

If I need a bull, you're splitting hairs between Rowell and Green. Id lean towards Rowell due to his CP, tackle (2023) and clearance numbers.

If I need class, Gulden. Feel he is more damaging that Daicos and has a better inside / outside game + doesn't shirk a contest.

If I need a link player, can't go wrong with Gulden, Walsh or Daicos. Probably wouldn't pick Walsh due to injuries.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree he went to another level. Gulden I thought performed pretty well too
Only two opposition players made my jaw completely drop live at a game in 2023. Jeremy Cameron Round 2 last year when had like 25 and 6 goals, and Gulden in the Elimination Final. Just an extraordinary talent

There's surely no one deluded enough to say they'd have Walsh over Rozee or Butters if you were picking one right now.
Depends how he goes with his injuries really. I think his best is better than Butters and more consistent than Rozee but we haven't seen it as much the last 2 years. Only really saw him move with the freedom he had in 2021 in the back half of last season

There's surely no one deluded enough to say they'd have Walsh over Rozee or Butters if you were picking one right now.
If we are talking last few games from each player, I'll take 2023 finals series Walsh thanks. Nothing delusional about that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back