News Port Adelaide have applied to join the VFL by 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2014 SANFL/AFL agreement is a complex arrangement but basically the SANFL has drawn up a set of rules that are supposed to guard against the prospect of the two AFL Clubs dominating the SANFL. There are a range of restrictions including the number of non AFL players the two AFL clubs can recruit to supplement their AFL lists in the SANFL, a qualification on players eligibility to play in the SANFL finals. The other eight SANFL clubs have few restrictions other than a salary cap. The AFL clubs are not permitted under age sides in the SANFL U19 competition and as a consequence they have lost the ability to bring juniors up through the ranks within the club. Father & son prospects such as Jackson Mead, Jase Burgoyne and several others play their junior football for opposition SANFL clubs prior to being drafted.

As posted the issue is complex and only someone supporting an AFL club in SA would appreciate the difficulty. I am sure that Port would love to establish and arrangement like Fremantle have with Peel Thunder in the WAFL but the SANFL rules will not allow it. I have no idea what the relationship between the WAFL and WCE and Freo is like but in South Australia there has always been resentment between Port Adelaide and the SANFL. A lot of this stems from Port's initial bid to join the AFL which was blocked by the other nine SANFL clubs. Prior to 2014 Port's AFL licence was owned by the SANFL and part of the deal for the SANFL to cede the Port Adelaide AFL licence to Port, where it should have always been, was for Port to agree to a range of conditions which inhibited the Club's ability to be competitive in the State league.

Port Adelaide and Adelaide joining the VFL may not be a panacea but at least all AFL clubs fielding sides in the VFL will do so on an equal footing.

How do you judge “competitiveness”? I disagree that Port have not been competitive since 2014. They’ve played in 3 GF’s since 2014. Some SANFL clubs have not played in any. Just because they’ve lost all of them isn’t as a result of any restrictions. In 2023, they had access to all of their AFL listed players as their AFL team was still playing. They lost an elimination final. It’s a moot point….

I'd have no real issue if the club was still to field an SANFL model if they join an AFL reserves comp, but it would require the SANFL to give the zones back & accept that it's all essentially run by an AFL club.. highly unlikely with SA football politics.
For what purpose? To keep the Magpies alive? Seems like a needless expense and further complication to me.

For what purpose? To keep the Magpies alive? Seems like a needless expense and further complication to me.
I don't think anyone under 40 would give two shits about the 'keeping the magpies alive' aspect tbh, but Koch has said we could field AFL reserves & an SANFL team before with a "why can't we?".

The only real reason would be as I stated in my previous post is getting the zones back & developing kids in the heartland.

Last edited:
View attachment 1869418

Pretty much sums it up in one statement. National reserves isn’t practical, the state leagues need to get into line.
First I've ever heard of the WA sides being short of money.

From a Victorian point of view an aligned competition certainly seems more practical than seniors and reserves playing on different days in different states, creating player unavailability in some circumstances.

Back in my day, I knew a few that only followed the VFA and would refuse to watch the VFL. There’s probably more that stayed with the SANFL then follow the AFL.

So where do those PA supporters go for if they refuse the AFL and will not accept Port Power in the VFL?
The club has done surveys on this.

There are very very few of them.

They would also be very old now.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean

Do you hear Essendon fans going on about their 1891-94 VFA premierships? Do you hear Collingwood go on about their 1896 VFA premiership? Do you hear Carlton going on about their 1877 and 1887 VFA premierships? Do you hear Richmond go on about their 1902 or 1905 VFA Premierships?

You would actually be in the exact same boat as all the Victorian teams. Yet it'd only be you guys seeking approval for that history when the Victorian teams don't give a s**t.

They'd actually look down on you and laugh at you.
We'd do exactly what both we and they do now.

Recognise them as part of our history and not count them in our AFL flag count.

It is usually only Crowies with a twist in their knickers about it.

Last edited:
Should be just an AFL reserves for all teams and the reserves fixture follows seniors fixtures and all games are curtain raisers to the Seniors AFL team at the grounds imo.

VFL, SANFL, WAFL and others with no AFL clubs.

Port Magpies the SANFL club with no affiliation to Power should still exist, but will probably struggle due to all the fans invested in AFL.
Nah its time for Port to leave the SANFL.

The bitterness there is toxic.

We have moved on, as we should have originally but the SANFL blocked us.

And that no afl players can play in it as well. Not sure why there would have to be an issue as long as power still want to fund the sanfl club.
Same reason they did when we first joined the AFL and they made the Magpies move to Ethelton. A combination of fear and spite.

They will use the (somewhat valid) excuse of higher quality facilities and resources to try and hobble Port so they can try and redeem the losses they incurred in their youth.

View attachment 1869418

Pretty much sums it up in one statement. National reserves isn’t practical, the state leagues need to get into line.

How is that?

I thought it would be rather easy to fly the two squads together with the reserves to play an early, late or even with both games running at the same time. The reserves side can either play as a curtain raiser to the main game or the matches played at the home teams training grounds. You could even televise it if you wanted to on a secondary channel or streaming service.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would it be equal?
Maybe evener but I doubt equal.
  • SA teams would heve to travel more given the uneven number of east coast teams.
  • Who would pay for the additional costs?
    • If the AFL the East Coast clubs may not like it.
    • If it was the clubs could Port afford it? (I only highlight them because they receive more AFL funding, ~$16M, than Adelaide, Fremantle and West Coast at ~11M).
  • Would club list sizes have to increase? Current maximum of 44 players allows for no injuries.
  • If not list size increase where would top up players come from and would the AFL or clubs pay?

Some great Qs

I would presume the following:

Costs:
The AFL Reserves Comp could be sold to Kayo/Fox etc to help generate some extra revenue. That would also help attract sponsors.

Gen Admin ticket prices would go up. Nothing huge but $5 across the board would help. I assume club memberships would increase also.

Travel:
Assuming a full NRC, the travel would be comparable to the seniors. Ideally the same matches would be played so that the whole club could travel together.

If all 18 teams are in then it makes sense to play the games as curtain raisers.

Lists:
I figure these would still sit at around 45 per club, however teams would be given access to local talent as "top up" players ala the COVID years.

Maybe a limit of say 3 games a season for non listed players so that local clubs aren't being robbed of their best for whole seasons?

The AFL would cover the match payments and insurance for the top up players.

That's a solid start I think.

How is that?

I thought it would be rather easy to fly the two squads together with the reserves to play an early, late or even with both games running at the same time. The reserves side can either play as a curtain raiser to the main game or the matches played at the home teams training grounds. You could even televise it if you wanted to on a secondary channel or streaming service.
I do agree flying both AFL and reserves squads but what about those who work and play part time? I'm assuming the reserves will mainly be AFL listed but will clubs have to have non AFL listed players and will they only be able to play home games I wonder if interstate teams.

I'd like to see another state do something instead of relying on Victoria all the time.

Then we see supporters of these states that never do anything for themselves have a good ole whinge about how hard done by they are.
I see there is already a few in here that couldn't give a rats about what happens to some of the oldest footy clubs in the country.
Yes and make demands about jumper and name..you join our comp again you do what you are told and wear what your are told.

I do agree flying both AFL and reserves squads but what about those who work and play part time? I'm assuming the reserves will mainly be AFL listed but will clubs have to have non AFL listed players and will they only be able to play home games I wonder if interstate teams.
What's the rookie wage now, 90k? Maybe AFL reserve non listed players receive this wage?
It’s a major change and cost, and it won’t happen without a strong majority of the clubs wanting it.

So far, we know one club is in favour (Port). The Freo president was asked and expressed reservation about the travel.

Let’s just say… it has a very, very long way to go.
Well, there is only 4 AFL clubs missing from this current VFL whom all travel up and down the eastern seaboard so all Port will be doing is forcing the AFL to bring in an AFL only reserve league.

I'd like to see another state do something instead of relying on Victoria all the time.

Then we see supporters of these states that never do anything for themselves have a good ole whinge about how hard done by they are.
I see there is already a few in here that couldn't give a rats about what happens to some of the oldest footy clubs in the country.
If the clubs are that old they should have no problems surviving with plenty of support.

It's the 21st century get with the times.

If the clubs are that old they should have no problems surviving with plenty of support.

It's the 21st century get with the times.
Yeah you're right it's the 21st century, just like the 19th century, nothing has changed, let's just follow what the Vics do.

Same ole, same ole, can't do anything for yourselves, need guidance from the Vics.

I always picture those fentanyl junkies in America when ever he posts.
Fentanyl junkies can’t write satire that grinds the gears of Port Power fans who keep trying to convince us all that PA magpies are the same club.

I do enjoy a barcardi breezer on my yacht from time to time though.

So how many wooden spoons have Port won?
What jumper do they wear in the VFL?
What theme song do they use?
Does it really matter at the reserves level? Werribee and Richmond are both known as the Tigers in the VFL and both wear yellow and black. No one seems to care about that. Sandingham and Hawthorn wear almost identical jumpers in the VFL and Coburg's jumper is very similar to Essendon's. Collingwood seem to be the only ones that care about this.

Seems like a pretty obvious decision to just let the Port Magpies brand and jumper enter the VFL/AFL reserves competition.

Does it really matter at the reserves level? Werribee and Richmond are both known as the Tigers in the VFL and both wear yellow and black. No one seems to care about that. Sandingham and Hawthorn wear almost identical jumpers in the VFL and Coburg's jumper is very similar to Essendon's. Collingwood seem to be the only ones that care about this.

Seems like a pretty obvious decision to just let the Port Magpies brand and jumper enter the VFL/AFL reserves competition.
Specifically Eddie Maguire actually!!!

I think AFL clubs miss the opportunity to make more money in merchandising by having proper alternate strips like they do in soccer, NFL and many other sports - Juventus is probably the worlds most famous back & white stripe jumper in the world yet if they play Udinese (another black & white stripe) away, Juve plays their away strip rather than jumping up and down like a little baby crying 'we had that strip first'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back