Port Adelaide won't rebuild under David Koch

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting hearing this take from David Koch.

Reminds me of John Elliott when he was the president of Carlton.

In all seriousness Port deserve credit in regards to how they've built their list.
Port haven't won less than 10 games in a season since 2012 and haven't finished bottom 4 since 2011, yet have managed to build one of the better lists in the league and are set to finish above the Crows for the sixth consecutive year.

Do you agree with David Koch?

The OP is so cringe worthy to any Port fan worth their salt.

I am pleased with Kochies efforts to manage our club out of financial crisis. But as far as on the field success, It's mediocre at best.

His stubbornness not to move Hinkley on is reflective on his Vanilization of the club. August has arrived and will he be bold enough to move Hinkley on or will he fold and re-sign him.

Also, so what if we finish ahead of the Crows. Who cares really. Our record against the Crows since Hinkley and Koch came in is an embarrassment to say the least.

I am pleased with Kochies efforts to manage our club out of financial crisis. But as far as on the field success, It's mediocre at best.

His stubbornness not to move Hinkley on is reflective on his Vanilization of the club. August has arrived and will he be bold enough to move Hinkley on or will he fold and re-sign him.

Also, so what if we finish ahead of the Crows. Who cares really. Our record against the Crows since Hinkley and Koch came in is an embarrassment to say the least.

Theres positives and Negatives....

No Different on my opinion if you asked me about Rick Hart as Dockers President from 2001/2 until 2009.

Dockers were 8.1 million dollars in debt at the end of 2001. by the end of 2009, dockers paid the debt and had 5 million in cash reserves.

In all seriousness Port deserve credit in regards to how they've built their list.
Port haven't won less than 10 games in a season since 2012 and haven't finished bottom 4 since 2011, yet have managed to build one of the better lists in the league and are set to finish above the Crows for the sixth consecutive year.

Not even if he said the sky looked blue.

How many grand final appearances during that time?

The point of rebuilding is to build a premiership team. I would rather finish bottom 4 for a few years and then win a flag, than never make it to the big dance but always win over 10 games a season. I guess it depends whether you ‘exist to win premierships’ or exist to finish above a rebuilding Crows team.

Who cares about contrived stats like “never won’t less than 10 games” or “haven’t finished bottom 4” or “finished above the Crows”? These are the stats you turn to when you haven’t won a flag for 20 years. How can Koch talk about not rebuilding when they have not built a premiership side since 2004? Port are hardly an example of sustained success. At least Big Jack had a few premierships behind his words.

I would rather finish bottom 4 for a few years and then win a flag, than never make it to the big dance but always win over 10 games a season.
After accomplishing nothing between 2012-2021 and missing finals just once, I just can’t agree.

Qualified opinion when you support the one club doing what Port’s done but better.

How many grand final appearances during that time?

The point of rebuilding is to build a premiership team. I would rather finish bottom 4 for a few years and then win a flag, than never make it to the big dance but always win over 10 games a season. I guess it depends whether you ‘exist to win premierships’ or exist to finish above a rebuilding Crows team.
Crows have never been historically bad.

Barring 1994-6 and a few periods where they spend 2 seasons in a row of no finals and make finals in the 3rd season.

You wouldn't of predicted a gradual fall like the crows after making a grand final in 2017.

Had the crows made finals in 2018 and possibly even 2019, the drop would not of been bad.

It's gonna be common for most sides to spend 5 or 6 seasons in a row not making finals. Even then, you are not certain a certain of a premiership after that type of rebuild.

His own clubs motto ‘we exist to win premierships’. So what’s the difference between rebuilding and not winning a premiership vs not rebuilding and failing to win a premiership?

He’s awfully chirpy (and arrogant) for someone who has overseen zero success.

His own clubs motto ‘we exist to win premierships’. So what’s the difference between rebuilding and not winning a premiership vs not rebuilding and failing to win a premiership?

He’s awfully chirpy (and arrogant) for someone who has overseen zero success.
David Koch has overseen success when you take into consideration where Port were at on and off field when he arrived compared to today.
Port have a better win percentage than all clubs apart from Geelong and Sydney throughout the duration of his tenure.
Port have never won the wooden spoon in the AFL either.

David Koch has overseen success when you take into consideration where Port were at on and off field when he arrived compared to today.
Port have a better win percentage than all clubs apart from Geelong and Sydney throughout the duration of his tenure.
Port have never won the wooden spoon in the AFL either.
North are financially stable too, if thats what we are considering to be ‘success’. Both clubs don’t have premierships since Koch has been involved with Port Adelaide, he has no reason to gloat or promote his ‘no rebuilding’ philosophy when his side hasn’t made a grand final in his tenure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North are financially stable too, if thats what we are considering to be ‘success’. Both clubs don’t have premierships since Koch has been involved with Port Adelaide, he has no reason to gloat or promote his ‘no rebuilding’ philosophy when his side hasn’t made a grand final in his tenure.
David Koch is a finance guru so I'd be quite worried if Port weren't financially stable.
He needs to sign Ken Hinkley before the finals so the contract speculation doesn't derail Port's finals campaign.

It’s always bemused me that Koch’s public profile automatically assumed success would follow. He was appointed on the back of his media profile and he runs a modestly sized family business.

Keith Thomas has a far more imposing commercial track record than David Koch.

They won’t rebuild until they have to.

And they won't be for a very long time.

Under 25's
-------------
Rozee, Butters, Houston, Power-Pepper, Drew, Marshall, Duursma, Georgiades, Jones, McEntee, Jones, Horne-Francis.

One could argue Boak and Jonas have effectively been replaced within the past 12-18 months.
While Dixon will be a loss, they're pretty much stacked for key position forwards.

Bring in Ratugolea (25 years with plenty of upside) and couple of others, they are doing what Geelong have done for so long and remaining competitive without ever having to fall away.

And that won't be for a very long time.

Under 25's
-------------
Rozee, Butters, Houston, Power-Pepper, Drew, Marshall, Duursma, Georgiades, Jones, McEntee, Jones, Horne-Francis.

One could argue Boak and Jonas has effectively been replaced within the past 12-18 months.
While Dixon will be a loss, they're pretty much stacked for key position forwards.

Bring in Ratugolea (25 years with plenty of upside) and couple of others, they are doing what Geelong have done for long and remaining competitive without ever having to fall away.
It all looks very positive at the moment.

Crows have never been historically bad.

Barring 1994-6 and a few periods where they spend 2 seasons in a row of no finals and make finals in the 3rd season.

You wouldn't of predicted a gradual fall like the crows after making a grand final in 2017.

Had the crows made finals in 2018 and possibly even 2019, the drop would not of been bad.

It's gonna be common for most sides to spend 5 or 6 seasons in a row not making finals. Even then, you are not certain a certain of a premiership after that type of rebuild.

Winning a Spoon is pretty bad, no matter what the context was for it.

The Crows have never exactly been as successful in the AFL for a club of their resources and massive fan base would expect.

It all looks very positive at the moment.

I don't think many expected some of the players to improve to the extent in which they have. Even losing Georgiades, Fantasia and Duursma for long stints has not bothered them one little bit.
Not sure what's going on with their rucks because they have a couple of handy young bucks running around in the SANFL who continually get overlooked but other than another quality defender, it's a very solid list.

Last edited:

I don't really understand how the port admin could wash sacking him now. If they were looking at this year to work out if he was the guy for the job he's clearly done enough. If they sack him now and say it's based on his entire tenure then they should have done it last year and this whole August timeline was a farce.

My expectation is that his extension will be announced next week.

If you want to see how this works out, see North Melbourne (2000-2015)

David Koch is a finance guru so I'd be quite worried if Port weren't financially stable.
He needs to sign Ken Hinkley before the finals so the contract speculation doesn't derail Port's finals campaign.

Honestly, it seems like all of the non Port fans who want PAFC to re-sign Ken Hinkley are trolls at this point.

His record in finals just does not stand up to scratch.

Brad Scott got more finals success with far less talented players and resources at North than Ken at Alberton..

He has been there long enough.

He should have gotten Port into 2 Grand Finals with the players he has had over time.

He wouldn't last even half as long at a big Vic Club with that kind of poor finals record tbh

They nailed the 2018 draft (trading valuable assets to do it) and then got JHF for a steal.

It's like saying Hawthorn under Clarkson won't rebuild...well no because you have young elite building blocks in place.

If they can get even a serviceable forward and back line they'll do well for a while.

Maybe not a dynasty (look at early 2000 WC) but around the mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back