Port Adelaide. The real deal or pretenders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Old Man Jenkins

Senior List
Sep 4, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think they may be the real deal this year, as much as I hate to say it.

In previous years such as 2017, 2020 and 2021, their record against the top 4 was poor despite their high ladder finishes.

This year, their record against the top 4 has been decent so far with quality wins against Brisbane and Melbourne.

Do you think they're the real deal? Or pretenders?

They seem to struggle at the MCG still. Next week will be a big test, but not the end of the world if they lose.

Lions proved that you can win at a ground you typically struggle at on your day.

All you need is an elite midfield which is what Port have.

They're contenders for sure.

We have a great midfield for sure. But premierships are won off the back of a great defence. We are still 1 gorilla defender short. Not impossible, but long long way to go.

Add Dixon, Marshall and Rioli to that fwd line and it looks a lot more dangerous.
Lycett as the #1 ruckman is the weak spot.
Finlayson offers a great point of difference in the ruck but you don't want to be conceding those centre clearances to the top ruckmen.
I don't think they'll win the flag but that doesn't make them pretenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rozee, Butters, Wines, Drew, Horne-Francis and the wily Boak with the likes of Bergman and Houston (as well as Duursma) rolling through on the wings gives them a real shot.

Not sure about my mob but Port we’re damn impressive in 3/4 quarters tonight with some key personnel to come back.

Valid doubts over the ruck division and KPD depth but that’s easily covered by the upside of their midfield.

I made the call 3 weeks ago that outside of the top 4 - Collingwood, Melbourne, Brisbane and Geelong - they are the only other team in the mix for the flag.

Out Geelong, in Port.

Is an interesting prospect. A better backline than 2020, maybe a bit less talent up forward but spread out more so you can't just stop Charlie and by extension stop Port. Midfield depth everywhere. There's an almost endless amount of players who are some combination of good mids, super quick, great kicks, or all 3. Players like Williams, Bonner, Farrell unheralded getting 15 touches, but landing kicks on people's dick from 60m out time and time again. So many good field kicks, that I have absolutely no idea why we couldn't hit a rhino from 10m away if you stuck goalposts on it.

On face value, we shouldn't be anywhere near a contender. I had us about 6th-8th expecting a soft draw (then we got a stinker). Williams and Lord would have been close to delisting's at the start of the year. DBJ barely played a bad game in his first 100, got an AA (Maynard was probably better but he was clearly better than anyone else) then had a meh yeah, then a stinker last year, and has been great up forward this year. Has a bit of a no-name feel to the team, but even players like Mcentee/Francis as injury replacements are performing their role. A few blokes flying under the radar like Drew and Williams.

Hard to get a read. We have had a fairly healthy list, but all of Wines/Boak/JHF/and Butters had major injuries in the pre-season. Not surprising that we were poo against Collingwood, then were better but faded against Adelaide, and have built into the season since. We have very good depth 1-28. Really even side. The problem is we have absolutely nothing after that. Other than the players who have already got games, we have a 2nd year player who would have been close to delisted this year as the best midfielder in the SANFL, an 18 year old KPF who is about 6'9 and kicked 4.4 a couple weeks ago but is probably years off, a ruckman who Hinkley refuses to play, Clurey (who I think is cooked) and Jase Burgoyne. 3 out of 5 of our best players in the SANFL every week are mature age top ups. Many more injuries and some guy who struggles in the SANFL will be playing.

Add Dixon, Marshall and Rioli to that fwd line and it looks a lot more dangerous.
Lycett as the #1 ruckman is the weak spot.
Finlayson offers a great point of difference in the ruck but you don't want to be conceding those centre clearances to the top ruckmen.
I don't think they'll win the flag but that doesn't make them pretenders.

Dixon is cooked.
Should just go with Lord, Marshall and Finlayson as two of them are super agile.

Dixon is cooked.
Should just go with Lord, Marshall and Finlayson as two of them are super agile.

Dixon's been excellent this year. I would have those 3+Marshall with everyone but Marshall having a run through the ruck, but Lycett having a decent game kind of ****ed us lol.

They are going all the way

On a warm, still evening at the G ( or in Adelaide) in a preliminary final ..have you got the power and strength to stop Hawkins and JC?

That is the question.

Geelong will be lucky to finish 7th or 8th. Will bomb out in the semi finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back