Mitch Lewis is on the verge of big things

Remove this Banner Ad

He reminds me of Jarryd Roughead (probably butchered the spelling) just unfortunately not as durable thus far in his career.

I really rated Roughy fwiw.

He reminds me of Jarryd Roughead (probably butchered the spelling) just unfortunately not as durable thus far in his career.

I really rated Roughy fwiw.
Nah

Roughie was a quick-thinking, smart, super-skilled, versatile 100kg utility. You could put him anywhere: CHF, full forward, ruck, ruck-rover, CHB... The best part of Roughead's game was how good he was at ground level when the ball hit the deck; the way he'd combine with the likes of Breust, Cyril and Poppy. He was so clever, unselfish and team-oriented. Ridiculously underrated, in my opinion.

It was a shame he missed a big chunk of his prime years due to cancer and the ruptured Achilles tendon, otherwise he would've ended kicking more than 700 goals and been 4 or 5 time All Australian.

Mitch Lewis is strictly a crash the packs, marking, tall forward.

He's a good player, but as an all-round footballer, he aint fit to carry Roughie's bags

Last edited:
I've been high on Mitch Lewis for a few years but I'm starting to get Nathan Thompson vibes about him.
3 or 4 really good games a year, misses 4 or 5 through injury, kicks about 40 goals and always has the "next year tag on him" but unfortunately next year for him doesn't arrive.
Gets traded because he cracks the sh*ts with the club for 2 3rd rounders.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah

Roughie was a quick-thinking, smart, super-skilled, versatile 100kg utility. You could put him anywhere: CHF, full forward, ruck, ruck-rover, CHB... The best part of Roughead's game was how good he was at ground level when the ball hit the deck; the way he'd combine with the likes of Breust, Cyril and Poppy. He was so clever, unselfish and team-oriented. Ridiculously underrated, in my opinion.

It was a shame he missed a big chunk of his prime years due to cancer and the ruptured Achilles tendon, otherwise he would've ended kicking more than 700 goals and been 4 or 5 time All Australian.

Mitch Lewis is strictly a crash the packs, marking, tall forward.

He's a good player, but as an all-round footballer, he aint fit to carry Roughie's bags
Fair, I haven't seen a real heap of Lewis and Hawthorn fans would best know the comparison. I agree though, always thought Roughy was underrated and often times I would have taken him over Buddy, from a team point of view. I know many might not agree.

One thing that will help to take the oppositions focus away from Mitch are the new teammates around him …….. and even if he doesn’t mark it just bring it to ground big man!

Last edited:
There's a lot of Hawthorn Hate on here. Well it's a world renown thing these days. In any case I've got nothing but respect for The Hawkers. I'll put this lad in my dream team or super coach thing whatever it's called nowadays because he's going to kick some bags. Now I hope he does even more and Hawthorn belt teams off the park just to stick it up right up em.

( unless they're playing us )

They're going to be mighty dangerous with Gunzzy as another key forward and smaller mens such as Ginny and Breust lurking around the packs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been high on Mitch Lewis for a few years but I'm starting to get Nathan Thompson vibes about him.
3 or 4 really good games a year, misses 4 or 5 through injury, kicks about 40 goals and always has the "next year tag on him" but unfortunately next year for him doesn't arrive.

Not a bad comparison. I don’t get the impression Lewis is about to crack the poos, though; but I like it as a “he’s a good player, good enough to kick eight goals on his day (like Thompson), but don’t expect him to be a Coleman medalist.” Curious to see if Lewis and Chol combined is greater than the sum of their parts, however; like a Cloke+Dawes twin spearheads (capable/good players by themselves, but elevated to outright gorillas/coleman medalist-level forward line put together). Want to see Ramsden added as a third tall/second-string goal-kicking ruckman, too. Let Gunston play his original tall flanker role (when it was Buddy, Rough, and Hale).

I actually think the jury is still out on Mitch, but the door is open and they're about to be called to give their verdict. It's this year for him, will he be an injury-prone couldabeen, or the big, bold, pack-crashing, grab-clunking, goal-scoring gun we THINK he can be?

Thommo was a beautiful pickup for us until his body quit on him.

Thommo was a beautiful pickup for us until his body quit on him.
I wouldn’t complain about getting a Nathan Thompson clone. That isn’t a bust by any stretch; especially for such a cheap draft pick. Not every forward can be a Buddy.

Think Jarrod Waite is another apt comparison; genuine talent, just not a Coleman-medalist.

Then you have weird s**t like Ben Brown; nowhere near as “gifted” per se as Lewis, Thompson, or Waite, but has multiple 60+ goal years - but under 400 goals kicked in total, similar to the other three.

Only stands out because he plays for Hawthorn, the only other forward they have that anyone knows is Ginni.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think people are well aware of Breust and Gunston with the 980 goals between them

Barring injury, Mitchell Lewis is going to be one of the Premier forwards in The AFL. He's got experience under his belt now and you could see last season what his capable of. In the next year or two, this fella is going to be right up there with the very best forwards in the competition.
He's not in the top 15 key fwds.

Curnow
Larkey
M King
Cameron
Allen
O Henry
McKay
Walker
Lukosius
Hogan
Jackson