Demons Drug Crisis - Why not the same scrutiny as West Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a big issue is that many West coast players were acting up in public.
Had they kept it private I reckon nothing would've been made of it
Also a lot of the revelations only became public after players retired.

This Melbourne thing still has more to run I think...
It ain't over yet.

Who was that Collingwood player on a bender who was quietly driving around Melbourne with some dodgy mate shooting from a moving car.

You mean if the Eagles players were a bit less obvious it would have been fine?

Different rule books for some clubs.

Don’t for a moment think Collingwood get an easy time in the media. It’s the same the world over - big sporting team scandals sell papers.

Also a lot of the revelations only became public after players retired.

This Melbourne thing still has more to run I think...
It ain't over yet.

This.

The eagles' saga did remain private for a fair bit of time, there were rumours about Cousins & Co's issues long before it hit the media. Worsfold has spoken at length about this.

The point is that all the information that's coming out about Melbourne points to a deeper cultural issue at the club that doesn't seem to be getting the scrutiny it deserves.

Arguing over the use of the word 'trafficking' is missing the point

Swan was a different issue with a taxi driver in his first year or so.

Tarrant was never involved in any of these incidents.

Swan wasn’t with a taxi driver and wasn’t exactly an “issue”.

His mate (Kade Carey, Wayne’s nephew) ran across a street in the city and leapt into a stationary car’s windscreen, smashing it. The two women in the car s**t themselves as you’d expect, got out and asked a couple of unfortunate nearby security guards for help.

Carey saw this and attacked the two security guards, knocking one over along with a cleaner who has been standing with the guards.

Swan, as seen on multiple CCTV cameras, then ran in and kicked the 45yo cleaner in the face as he tried to get up. He was kicked and punched multiple times, leaving him unconcious with a broken nose, cheekbone and eye socket.

Swan then ran off, leaving Carey to be subdued by arriving police.

McGuire and Collingwood absolutely got around the media and impacted how it was reported.

15 years later, Swan “explained” the issue on I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here:

Long story short, we got kicked out of a cab then got into a punch-on with five bouncers. One of my mates went a bit too far and they got reasonably hurt, so we got arrested for that,”

“I had about eight charges, but we ended up getting charged with affray, that’s the one that stuck. It went for about eight years, cost me about $250,000. Total court fees, paying people off — that’s about what it cost me in the end. I learned the hard way,”

“If you had your time again, would you do anything different?” asked a fellow contestant

“Nup,”

“There’s absolutely no doubt I wouldn’t have been a Brownlow medallist premiership player, played 200 games, all the awards that I’ve won, without those things happening to me early in my career, the run-in with the law,”

It’s a nice “long story short” from Swan. They weren’t bouncers, they were security guards who worked at Federation Square overnight, patrolling the buildings. And an after-hours cleaner. It wasn’t “his mate”, it was him too, as the CCTV showed him kicking the s**t out of the cleaner.

Best of all though, Swan wouldn’t change it if he could, as punching the s**t out of some old cleaner just doing his overnight job on minimum wage, who then spent Christmas away from his family in hospital, somehow made him a better footballer. Luckily for him, he and Collingwood had a whole lot of money and could hire expensive lawyers, and pay big settlements to the victims in return for them dropping charges. The police settled on a guilty plea for affray, which got him just community service.

So yeah, not exactly an “issue”.

I don’t direct this specifically at your post, it just annoys me when its played down, with Swan also managing to gain some sort of off-field cult hero status among the nuffies since he retired, who seem to find his unfortunate inability to string more than two words together cute or endearing.

He’s a piece of s**t, his later comments show he hasn’t even grown a brain in older age, and now that his ability to chase a footy has waned, he’s back to being the same gutter-dwelling deadshit that he was before, and will remain for the rest of his days.

It was Didak and your understanding of the incident is extremely poor, as is your attempt to draw some sort of equivalence.
For starters he was a stranger not a mate. Didak accepted a lift from the wrong guy he met at a club. Didak was in fear of his life and did nothing wrong. There was nothing he could do about the situation he found himself in. Wrong place wrong time. He was litterally taken for a ride by a psycho shooting at police out the window. He was then threatened ( he and his family) not to talk to police.
Some time later the same guy killed 2 people on the street in the city in Broad daylight.

Apart from not accepting the lift from a stranger, I'd love to know what you think you would have done differently in that circumstance?
Is that you Ed?

Way to smooth over yet another tumultuous event in the long long history of Collingwood players involved with criminals and bikies.

This goes way way back to the John Wren days.

You can’t escape your past…

It'll never get out but if we actually knew who or atleast how many of his teammates he was selling to....then we'd have a drug crisis. Blind Freddy could tell you one other teammate which we all know. But assuming atleast 3 or 4 of them wouldn't be far off it.
The AFL SIA and Melbourne would all know. Now it's just crisis management. A couple of journos would probably know but won't report it as it'll ruin their careers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll never get out but if we actually knew who or atleast how many of his teammates he was selling to....then we'd have a drug crisis. Blind Freddy could tell you one other teammate which we all know. But assuming atleast 3 or 4 of them wouldn't be far off it.
The AFL SIA and Melbourne would all know. Now it's just crisis management. A couple of journos would probably know but won't report it as it'll ruin their careers

The fact that drugs are illegal probably works in favour of the players …

It basically makes them difficult to touch.

Accuse a player of coming back to training in bad shape - fair game.

Accuse a player of being out all night drinking - fair game.

Accuse a player of being involved in something illegal like illicit substances - that just can’t be done unless you have hard evidence. Your employer’s lawyers wouldn’t allow it. Your journo training wouldn’t let you do it. You’d be putting your job on the line. Clubs would backlist you and the AFL would pull your accreditation just to make sure.

Of course your claims are right. You know your claims are right. But in the absence of evidence that can stand up in court, you are toast.

I reckon the trafficking charge is overreach.

A guy offering to get a baggy for a mate is technically trafficking, and while it’s obviously against the law I just can’t give a * when it’s something that hundreds of thousands of professionals are doing weekly in this day and age, when organizing social occasions with friends.
So a guy with a large quantity (supporting drug traffickers) is not a problem at all. Nothing to see here.

On the Eve of round 1 2007. Grand Final rematch. West Coast was missing Judd, Cousins, Cox? Or Kerr and maybe Embley. Whatever. They won by a point. Lol.

Shut that flog up good and proper.

On the Eve of round 1 2007. Grand Final rematch. West Coast was missing Judd, Cousins, Cox? Or Kerr and maybe Embley. Whatever. They won by a point. Lol.

Shut that flog up good and proper.
Cox, Embley and Cousins missed the game

Judd and Kerr played. Kerr had the match saving tackle

Great player, flawed person off field

In spite of their potential off-field crisis, their form from Wednesdays match was still pretty strong even without some first choice KPF's and Clayton Oliver.

With Sydney's injuries in the centre I'd actually give them a strong chance to win the first game of the year.

Jumping to conclusions after round 1 usually leads to egg on face but I'm seeing serious danger signs at the Demons.

Still heavily reliant on Petracca Gawn Viney Frisch May Salem and Lever. Neal Bullen would be a top 10 player now.

I thought the worrying thing for Melbourne last night was their apparent lack of fitness.

The first half was a grind where the teams were reasonably well matched, but Melbourne were generally second to the ball in the second half.

As good as a reason as any now to merge Melbourne Demons with the Tasmanian Devils (similar mascot). Melbourne have brought the AFL into disrepute putting millions (if not hundreds of millions of AFL funding at risk). Some Melbourne players would allow a good foundation for the growth of the Tasmanian team, the others can jog on into the sunset.

Now is the time to reduce the amount of Melbourne based 2nd rate teams and expand into a truly national sport.

Alot of the Westcoast stuff got swept under the rug at the time. There were rumors like there is now with Melbourne but I wouldn't say there was a whole bunch of scrutiny. The fact they were winning meant the administration wasn't that interested in looking to hard. And then it blew up.

Same could still happen to Melbourne. Not saying it will but if the rumors are true it's still early.
nostradamus!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back