Determinants of Success in AFL Footy

Which 3 factors do you believe have the *greatest positive impact* on a club's success?

• Coaching and Leadership

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Fixture and Home Ground Advantage

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Game Strategy and Tactics

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Mental Toughness and Resilience

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Player Development

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Player Health and Fitness

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Recruitment and Drafting

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Support and Resources

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Talent and Skill Level

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Team Cohesion and Chemistry

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
As a way to pass the time in the off-season between trade and draft I'm interested in the collective view of the BF crowd on what are the major determinants of success for a club in the modern AFL competition. I've listed ten possible factors in the poll (with brief, fairly self-explanatory, definitions below) and have asked you to nominate the three that you think have the greatest impact on success (i.e. towards winning a premiership).

Feel free to share any opinions / reasoning also that will add to the conversation.

KEY FACTORS
  1. Coaching and Leadership: Effective coaching and strong leadership from the coaching staff are crucial for strategy development, game preparation, and player development.
  2. Fixture and Home Ground Advantage: The AFL fixture can influence a team's success. Home ground advantage occurs when a team plays on its home turf, benefiting from familiarity with the venue, crowd support, and reduced travel-related fatigue. The combination of a favorable fixture and home ground advantage can significantly impact a team's performance in the AFL.
  3. Game Strategy and Tactics: A well-designed game plan and tactical approach can give a team a competitive advantage, allowing them to exploit the weaknesses of opponents.
  4. Mental Toughness and Resilience: The ability of players to maintain composure, focus, and resilience under pressure is essential in high-stakes games.
  5. Player Development: Effective player development programs within the club can enhance the skills and abilities of younger or less experienced players.
  6. Player Health and Fitness: The physical condition of players, including injury prevention and fitness, is vital to endure the rigors of the sport and maintain peak performance.
  7. Recruitment and Drafting: Skillful player recruitment and drafting decisions can strengthen the team by adding new talent and addressing specific positional needs.
  8. Support and Resources: Access to resources, such as state-of-the-art facilities, medical and rehabilitation services, sports science, and analytics, can provide a competitive edge.
  9. Talent and Skill Level: The individual and collective talent and skill of the players on the team play a fundamental role in determining success.
  10. Team Cohhesion and Chemistry: A unified team that communicates well and has good chemistry on and off the field is more likely to perform at a high level.

I think those early results are very interesting with no single factor being cited by all respondents and "Player Health and Fitness" being the most common factor so far (61.5% of responses).
Talent & Skill Level being nominated by less than half shocks me and it's a more even distribution than I would have expected.
Hope a few more readers will respond to make it a more valid poll!

Surprised at how few selected 'Mental toughness/resilience'. You can have all the talent in the world, but it means nothing if you give up.

Surprised at how few selected 'Mental toughness/resilience'. You can have all the talent in the world, but it means nothing if you give up.

1st option I selected, Player health and fitness 2nd and Talent and skill 3rd. If you tick all those boxes the coaches Job becomes easier

Back