What are some of the best commentary one-liners in footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's by no means an amazing commentary but...

"THIRTEEN, THIRTEEEEN!!"

I will always remember.

Otherwise it's all been fairly s**t since Dennis Cometti moved on.

Not quite one line but one of my favourite BT moments (of which there a few modern ones unfortunately)

People might not know it due to it involving the dockers.

I hate the “he looks at him and says” commentary BT does. Play goes on, but BT is just still yelling his monologue about HE SAYS YOURE BIG, AND I’M LITTLE, I’M ABOUT 174CM, SO HE GOES ON TO SAY THAT I SHOULD BE MORE AGILE THAN YOU * up BT

"The stadium holds its breath... its a goal... and the Western Suburbs erupt!" Cometti on Boyd's goal
"He's kicked a miracle!" Cometti on Buddy's goal in the prelim

Cometti clearly the best there's been

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North were surging in a game against Port about 15 years ago, making a late run from well behind. The game was getting close and IIRC Lindsay Thomas, then playing for North missed a relatively easily goal that would have ensured a nail-biting finish.

Bruce - "for North that's let the air right out of the balloon."
Dennis - "sometimes all it takes is one little prick."

Last edited:
Not footy but by a footy commentator icon.

Sandy Roberts - "Welcome back to picturesque Glenburnie racecourse here in Mt Gambier. Still with us is Miss Australia, Leanne utensil."

"The stadium holds its breath... its a goal... and the Western Suburbs erupt!"

Cometti on Boyd's goal
Compare Dennis Cometti's iconic lyricism and word play to Brian Taylor's call of the very same goal on Triple M radio.

From inside the centre square ! Boyd has kicked a goal !

Boyd has kicked a goal ! From inside the centre !

F**K ! I can't believe that !

Boyd has kicked a goal from inside the centre
square !

Can you believe that ?!?

Last edited:
Think it was in the 08 gf grant birchall may have heavily bumper someone DC went to say 'he's in a land of birchall reality' or something along those lines. Quality call.

Just watching fox geel v melb in 94 3rd quarter.
Ablett gets taken around the neck, but the decision is holding the ball against him.
The special comments guy (haven't picked his voice yet) says the umpire must think he's Gladstone Small.
To which the great Denis responds " that's one small neck for mankind"

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Something along the lines of

'' Don't think about a short pass needs to go at goal here. Because he can light a fire under himself. The smoke is starting to rise '' and proceeds to nail an absolute ripper from the boundary outside 50.

'' The resistence may be broken ''

Not sure if Williams nailed one or Dew. That 2008 Grand Final is one of the best one's I've seen for the pure football that was on offer by the Hawkers. Dew's goals, Mark Williams standing up. Buddy smacking some big one's and of course '' Sizza '' Rioli and what about that ******* tackle?

A fisherman would be proud.

'' The resistence may be broken ''

Not sure if Williams nailed one or Dew. That 2008 Grand Final is one of the best one's I've seen for the pure football that was on offer by the Hawkers. Dew's goals, Mark Williams standing up. Buddy smacking some big one's and of course '' Sizza '' Rioli and what about that ******* tackle?

“The resistance may be broken” from Dennis is after Dew and Williams combine back and forth multiple times against three opponents before Williams eventually kicks the goal. It happened “right in front of me”, and for its importance and excitement is my all time favourite goal. At one stage during that play Dennis describes Dew as “ an unlikely bulky hero”.

My favourite piece of commentary from the ‘08 GF is Bruce saying mid way through the third quarter “maybe Geelong are holding on now” (when it had seemed for much of the game until then that Hawthorn were just clinging on). Getting no response from the expert comments men, moments later he again asked “ does anyone feel like Geelong are the ones holding on now, I do”. A minute or two after that Dew begins his rampage and Hawthorn break the game open with four goals in about as many minutes.

“The resistance may be broken” from Dennis is after Dew and Williams combine back and forth multiple times against three opponents before Williams eventually kicks the goal. It happened “right in front of me”, and for its importance and excitement is my all time favourite goal. At one stage during that play Dennis describes Dew as “ an unlikely bulky hero”.

My favourite piece of commentary from the ‘08 GF is Bruce saying mid way through the third quarter “maybe Geelong are holding on now” (when it had seemed for much of the game until then that Hawthorn were just clinging on). Getting no response from the expert comments men, moments later he again asked “ does anyone feel like Geelong are the ones holding on now, I do”. A minute or two after that Dew begins his rampage and Hawthorn break the game open with four goals in about as many minutes.
Brilliant. Yeah I remember that play between Williams and Dew.

I was going to mention the '' right in front of me. Right in front of me '' one lol. That Crows supporter after the 2009 Jack Anthony goal at the end lol?

HAHA!

Good old Jack. Not sure if true maybe it was Cloke's wedding or something that he wasn't invited to. When he was at the Alter he went up to him, said congratulations, shook his hand then walked out.

Probably bs but at the same time it's something he's do so neither would surprise me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back